ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Going to look at a clio tomorrow, 1ST CAR :D

Hi, just a quick intro as this is my first post, my names Louis and im 17 and im going to look at a nice clio tomorrow in Leeds then hopefully i can interact in this forum a little more.

I know this is a bit quick asking for advice, considering i havent given anything to this forum as of yet, but i was just wandering what to look out for tomorrow and whether im getting a good deal or not, i think i am but would like to ask some true enthusiasts!

The car is a:

[h=1]2007 RENAULT Clio 1.2 16V Campus Sport 2007[/h]
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201123390282509

That one, i would respect any feedback that i can use as i dont want to be getting ripped off or anything as its my first motor!

got the price down to abot £3100.

What do you think?

Cheers
LOUIS123

RacingBlue + IceBurg
checked how much the insurence would be yet? 17 + any car with sport in the name usually results in mega $$ nowadays

As a named driver on Dads policy i got it down to £1454 fully comp with Direct Line, seemed to be the best deal i could get!

RacingBlue + IceBurg
not the worst price ive seen lol i'm sure there is a buyers guide section on what to look out and check for on 1.2's. seen it somewhere but cant seem to find it now :/ sure someone will link it tho

53 Clio's & counting
As a named driver on Dads policy i got it down to £1454 fully comp with Direct Line, seemed to be the best deal i could get!

Word of advise - get your own insurance. You wont gain any no claims bonus on your Dads and if you use the car more than he does it is technically fraud.

Welcome to the club btw :)

Passat
Haha, you work in insurance Russ?! Jesus, if you can get it for cheap then do whatever you can. Insurance itself is the biggest scam going. Fleece the b*****ds all you can.

Trophy #387

If it's going to be your car and if you'll drive it the most in your family then do not get insured as a named driver on your Dads policy, it's not legal and you won't be covered.

Direct Line specifically state that a named driver must drive the car no more on average than once a fortnight. Just fork out the cash to get proper insurance or you'll regret it when you crash... You're risking losing your car and you'll be breaking the law - just a word of warning.

Listerine & Poledo
^ That.

Nice vehicle, but the wheels looke completly out of place, if you can get some original Campus alloys on there it will be easier on your insurance (cheaper to re-shoe as well!) and it wont look....odd.

Are those red-sprayed calipers!?! :nono:

The car was a mess in person do decided against it! Only 3 of the brakes we're sprayed, the seats rocked about all over the place, the clutch felt like it was going to die anytime soon, two of the tyres were bald. And I thought at this time it could be a little project but then I saw something more worrying, on each side of the car just underneath is a bracket that runs the whole length of the side of the car (don't know technical name sorry) well on one side it was silver, and the other side had been sprayed black, and after asking if there had been any bodywork repair and the bloke said No! I knew that there was something fishy and due to it being a first car I had to leave it even though I made a 300 mile round trip :(

Still in the hunt for my first car :)

RS6 C7
i dont se the point in getting a campus to be honest, I would just buy a decent 1.2 and pay the money you will save on insuring it through your own name, It will work out beter in the long run as after you a have a couple of years no claims you can upgrade to something quicker.

Arctic Blue 182ff
Haha, you work in insurance Russ?! Jesus, if you can get it for cheap then do whatever you can. Insurance itself is the biggest scam going. Fleece the b*****ds all you can.

He doesn't need to work in Insurance to tell you it's fraud. The only scam going on is trying to get cheaper Insurance by lying. So, yea, you'll save yourself a grand or so, but the piece of paper is worthless, so infact you'll be LOSING even more money... might as well drive with none at all.

Passat
A policeman isn't going to pull you over for not declaring you are the main driver. Yes, you will be lying on an insurance policy...I personally don't have a problem with that.

If anyone can help i was wondering how much this car would be worth:

[h=1]2007 RENAULT Clio 1.2 16V Rip Curl[/h]3 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Petrol, 19,000 miles, Metallic Silver, MOT-05-2012.

Good Condition throughout!

Thanks

Really? I love car hunting, best part if the process.

for the first few nights i loved it, now its becoming a nightmare, i will be so pleased when i find the right car though, chances of it being a clio are pretty high, but a 1.4 Litre VW Fox, has cheaper insurance that 1.2 Clios so that put a cat amongst the pigeons!! haa

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Why are you looking at campus'?????

They're the old shape, on a new plate, that look worse than the old shape.

Pick yourself up a 2003 dyanmique model or something, sure it'll have more miles and is a little older, but they're still very good cars and can be had for pennies!

BMW 330D
Word of advise - get your own insurance. You wont gain any no claims bonus on your Dads and if you use the car more than he does it is technically fraud.

Welcome to the club btw :)

I agree that you shouldn't do the named driver thing but to be fair how would they prove it? i mean i know its obvious. Dad goes 20 odd years driving then decides the volvo estate isnt enough of a drivers car for him and buys a 1.2 clio campus for the weekends just as his son passes his test lol but they can't prove this is not the case can they?

Listerine & Poledo
Priority now is finding a car first, then worry about insuring it ;)

Wrong way around squire.

Get quotes before you buy, else you could be in for a shock.

As for the Campus beaters, If you can afford a newer car, get it. 1.2's are all the same, but a newer one with less miles will be a better bet than a '53 plate with 90k on the dials.

In any case, it's better than a Corsa

Listerine & Poledo
So long as its done properly, you should be alright, but I'd get the AA or similar to give it a full inspection and as much info on the repairs as they have.

You're getting the car cheap because of the damage, so you'll have to adjust any resale value accordingly.

If it's safe, it's not a whole world different from any Clio that's had some remedial repairs at some point

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Everytime there's a thread like this, someone always opens the can of worms with the insurance. You really do need to look at insurance before cars IMO.

I passed my test over a year and a half ago and it took me about 3 months of searching to find the car I have today. Yes it's only a 2001 1.2 Dynamique but its mine! It's very frustrating that you've actually passed your test but have no car to drive. Just bide your time, don't jump into anything and the right car will soon come up.

Other than a little engine problem I'm having with it at the moment, I couldn't recommend it enough. Comfy, affordable (well, more than most cars at the age of 17/18/19) and they look good too.

Listerine & Poledo
Oh yeah, Cat D may mess with insurance.

In fairness, and on blanace, just get a slightly older one which hasn't been through a fence.

I get an insurance quote from every car im interested in before and i've got about 15 diffferent types of cars on the piece of paper next to me all with insurance quotes so i am being cautious of it. Just getting really agitated not being able to find the right car, thats not too far from me, dont really want to go over 50.000 mileage.

The problem im having now is deciding between a 1.2 Clio or a 1.4 VW Fox.

Arctic Blue 182ff
A policeman isn't going to pull you over for not declaring you are the main driver. Yes, you will be lying on an insurance policy...I personally don't have a problem with that.

You just don't get it do you. It's not a case of not having a problem with it. You crash your little 1.2 at 76leptons side on into a minibus. You've got 14 personal Injury claims, 3 deaths. Few hundred grand. Insurance don't want to pay out, they interview your neighbours, they find out you've been committing fraud, they don't pay out. Who picks up the bill? Well, you're parents now need to sell their house and buy a caravan...

It HAS happened, it DOES happen.. worth it?

For everyones information, I WILL BE THE SECONDARY DRIVE, I WILL NOT DRIVE IT THE MOST.

And i hope not to crash into a minibus!!

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Just out of curiosity, why'd you not really want to go over 50,000 miles?

Listerine & Poledo
OK,

1) VW Fox > Clio (flame suit engaged)
It'll be built somewhat better and although it doesn't have "twistiez power", it will be a good first car for learning in (even when you pass, you're still learning...in fact, every day you drive, you learn something)
2) Get your own policy, else you never earn no-claims, so you'll be forever waiting for a decent quote on anything bigger/faster/whatever.

Arctic Blue 182ff
For everyones information, I WILL BE THE SECONDARY DRIVE, I WILL NOT DRIVE IT THE MOST.

And i hope not to crash into a minibus!!

Well you're not going to get 'your' 1st car then, are you? Who will all of a sudden be driving a clio the majority of the time when they weren't before?

Aside from the legal side, it's not financially sensible :( next year you won't have a years NCB, which is worth LOOOOOOOTS to a young driver, so your insurance won't budge much - it will nearly half with the 1yrs NCB :)