ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Going to look at a 2002 clio for my sisters first car today what to lookout for?

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
Hi everyone as above i am going to look at a 02 clio for my sister who has her driving test this week and having a ford ka for learning to drive in, it has failed its mot just for the typical ford rust,

the clio i own is a phase 1 and with this being a phase 2 im wondering what things with the phase 2 would be worth checking out? car is a - [h=1]2002 RENAULT CLIO EXPRESSION DCI 65[/h]Mileage on clock 79300
Car will be sold complete with full years MOT

Parts recently replaced - Timing belt at 70k miles, front discs & pads, rear brake shoes & wheel cyinders, new battery,front wheel bearing, rear wiper arm and wiper, front wiper blades, wheel trims.

i will check all fluid levels+condition, proof of timing belt being done, check brakes and suspension condition, exhaust for leaks and check brackets and all electrics.

this list is just off the top of my head as im writing, and as above i would just like to know what else to maybe look out for for any1 else who has one of these dci 65

many thanks for any1 who helps out :)

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
yeah forgot bout that cheers haha, got a renualt 6 miles away so will put it in there for 100 point safety check thats what i done when getting bonnet catch checked.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
bonet catch, just make sure bonnet is closed properly and get it done under recal if it looks suspect.

check boot floor for signs of rear impact.

dci wise....
make sure there is no warning lights on
should idle smoothly and not jump about, even if its stone cold, its not like a petrol clio
excess gearstick movement is play in the engine mounts especially the lower one, the dci is a resonably heavy engine so shows this up. cheap ish to fix.
dont worry about the shudder through the car when you turn the ignition off, its just normal for clio 2 dci's.

make sure you can give it full throttle when driving from say 1500rpm to 4000rpm id try in 4th gear, this will usually show up weaknesses in the fuel system by throwing up a warning light or cutting the power.

they arnt fast but should feel strong from just over 1500rpm when the turbo comes in