ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Getting started in the track scene...

MK3, 1.2. 16V
Okay so after the new year I'm thinking about getting involved in some track days etc but the problem is I have no idea where to start!

Just a few tips as where to start would be good.

Whats the script with tax ? Insurance ? Costs of days ?

I'm only 19 so would track insurance etc be as expensive as regular insurance ?

Any advice atall would be greatly appreciated.

Swift Sport
First of all, is your car going to be road legal or are you building a specific track car? Your car doesn't have to be taxed or insured but it will need be to be relatively roadworthy ie:- mechanically safe, with decent brakes and tyres.

Trackdays vary massively depending on venue and time of year. A small circuit at this time of year starts at around £80 or so, but a nice big circuit like Silverstone will be more in the region of £250-£300 for a full day.

Trackday insurance isn't compusary but is advisable, but due to your age I think you may struggle to get insured for a decent price, if at all.

My first advice would be to spend less on modifications and more on track tuition!

Best of luck :)

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I agree with that. But get whatever car you plan to use in a reliable state and able to stand hard braking and has decent tyres fitted. Spend some money having tuition and view a few videos of which ever circuit you plan to use before your first time there. I went to Bedford last December for the first time and watched several videos to get some idea of the layout of the track. It's a good place to start out as there's very little to hit if you go off and great fun as well. I took my daughter with me who had never been on a race track before and paid for her to have a session with an instructor when we got there. She quickly picked it up and shared my car with me for the day. Between us we did 170 miles round the circuit. I've done 21 track days in the Clio in the last 5 years at various circuits, mostly at Oulton Park, but also Brands Hatch a couple of times in the Clio. I've also been to Cadwell a few years back and really enjoyed there as well. It's a challenging circuit and tight and twisty as well as some very fast sections.
Have a look on www.trackdays.co.uk , there's a list of all the trackdays available and costs and which company is running each event. Javelin are very good and so are Focused Events.

MK3, 1.2. 16V
Thanks for the replies! Very helpful indeed! Anyone know of any companies that would do daily insurance for a driver my age ? Because the plan is to get a 172, tax it and drive it to and from track days. However I couldn't afford the £3000 yearly insurance, hence the daily.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Insurance can't be £3000 surely? My 200 at 19 was £770. Shop around a bit, unless you live in the ghetto.

Back OT. I insured my 200 for an evening track day at bedford, cant remember the company unfortunately but that was £100.00 on the nose. That was my first ever track day too. I doubt they would insure you on the road though, but you can get 'day' insurance if needed.

Another factor to think about is that if you're driving to the track, doing the track day and home again , if you rinse your tyres, you're driving home illegally/unsafely.

Helmet, standard car & tuition. Done.

Insurance can't be £3000 surely? My 200 at 19 was £770. Shop around a bit, unless you live in the ghetto.

Seems like it these days, I was circa £800 on my 200 at 19 but the lad that bought my Trophy at the weekend said his insurance on it will be 3.5k a year :dead:.

Audi A5
Trophy's insurance group 17
172/182's insurance group 16
197/200'sinsurance group 15

So you would think that a trophy would be the heaviest on insurance. Obviously each insurer is different though.