ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox/Driveshaft Noise.

ph1 172... Sold:(
On Sunday evening I noticed a very slight 'clunk' when bringing the clutch up and the front wheels took load, coming from what I then thought was the passenger front wheel.

The sound was very slight and whilst it has not increased in volume or harshness, it has become more frequent, occuring when shifting from 1st to 2nd at very sedate speeds and no matter how much I finesse my clutch it is there for every flat/uphill start, and also now when coming gently to a stop, at the moment the car actually ceases to move, although it doesn't occur with more aggressive stops.

Driving and breaking are normal, straight line, no pulling. However by the time I'd got home from work today I'd decided it was concerning me enough to have a look so I jacked her up and pulled the front passenger wheel off to take a look.

Leaving the car in neutral and manually spinning the hub and disc revealed a small amount of play, along with the clunk which sounds as the play is taken up.

It occurrs spining the wheel and driveshaft in both directions, and the spinning motion is still smooth and free and easy. No grinding or grating or further noise.

Using 2 hands to pre load the disc/hub against the driveshaft has eliminated the problem from being in the hub assembly, so it's coming from where the driveshaft inserts into the gearbox. When you get close you can tell that's where the noise comes from.

Eeek

So it could be the UJ/CV/Lobro (I don't know what type of joint is used here) or it could be something a bit more hidden in the diff/output drive (although if that were the case I'd be inclined to expect the noise to occur centrally rather than being so obviously from the one side?)

Anyone had any experience of failing driveshaft joints, and does any of this sound familiar?

How long can it carry on without being an 'issue'.

My wallet definately can't handle the gearbox needing work so if you could keep your answers on the cheaper side it would be really handy;)

Car is a ph1 127, Y reg.

Thanks in advance.

S.

Last edited:
Nb I've just repeated the test with the car in gear and get exactly the same amount of play until the slack is taken up and I can turn the wheel no more (drivers side still on the ground).

The clunk is a bit harsher as it comes up against the dead-stop.

S.

P

Paul Common 666

Ive had this noise too, nasty clunking. The car was also biting when cornering. Turned out to be the bottom ball joint :S which was bad!! I could only get play when the wheels were at full lock. Worth a look.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
on a serious note the diff has prob had it, there know for going, if thats the case then you will soon loose all drive

Last edited:
No loss of drive whatsoever, BJ's are 6mths old and the play isn't there anyway.

I guess the only way to know if it's the drive shaft, or the diff/outdrive, is to remove the driveshaft and see where the issue lies...?

S.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
yup, you sure them ball joints havent given up yet?

to remove that shaft (n/s) you need to change the gearbox oil. as you have to drop it out to remove the shaft.

dont use cheapo G.Box oil to re-fill

P

Paul Common 666

My ball joint had done less than 10k. And if that goes it will take the driveshaft out with it. Its defo worth a look mate, mine was doing exactly the same as yours. Could only see when I got it up on the ramps.

could 1.2 ball joints be not upto the job ?

Id hope they wernt 1.2 ball joints.

The BJ's are identical accross the range, the only difference is that the bolt holes are bigger on the 1*2 to accomodate the larger bolts (easily machined), and the bolts themselves have a serrated shoulder at the very base of the thread, that grips the steel plate where they mount to the wishbone.

The only difference is that Reno will only sell you a complete wishbone/bj assembly for a 1*2, if you've got a regular clio no problem, however they are no different.

Bye the bye, they are fine, I know roughly where the play is coming from, I said the car drives fine, no cornering issues, no suspension binding etc, so any suggestion that it comes from bj's, hubs, struts, bushes or whatever is just forgetting what I actually asked.

If anyone with knowledge or experience can make a suggestion please do!

S.

The

Does it do it on/off the power when in gear, say 4th at 30mph?

Dan, not sure it's a bit too quiet to hear over roadnoise at that speed.

Wheel's back on and I'm off to Ikea in a mo so I'll have a good listen.

No probs about gearbox oil, it was on the list for minor service alonside power steering fluid in March anyhow.

S.

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
Mine did this and got worse within a couple of weeks.

Reverse was the worse.

Ended up having to buy a new gearbox of Renault.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Id hope they wernt 1.2 ball joints.

The BJ's are identical accross the range, the only difference is that the bolt holes are bigger on the 1*2 to accomodate the larger bolts (easily machined), and the bolts themselves have a serrated shoulder at the very base of the thread, that grips the steel plate where they mount to the wishbone.

The only difference is that Reno will only sell you a complete wishbone/bj assembly for a 1*2, if you've got a regular clio no problem, however they are no different.

Bye the bye, they are fine, I know roughly where the play is coming from, I said the car drives fine, no cornering issues, no suspension binding etc, so any suggestion that it comes from bj's, hubs, struts, bushes or whatever is just forgetting what I actually asked.

If anyone with knowledge or experience can make a suggestion please do!

S.

The

that not what renault technical told me, differnt grades, meterials are used on the sport range.

back to the problem.

you will have to remove the shaft to check for any play on the CV etc, but il put money on it that your diff is about to blow up

P

Paul Common 666

bit harsh :S
but i do apologise for sharing my experience with you as it sounded very similar and you also wanted a cheap answer! I was just trying to help :cry:
I could have read the thread a bit better though, I had to quickly skim it because im at work :)

bit harsh :S
but i do apologise for sharing my experience with you as it sounded very similar and you also wanted a cheap answer! I was just trying to help :cry:
I could have read the thread a bit better though, I had to quickly skim it because im at work :)

Erm, yeah, sorry.:eek:

I was just hoping to avoid any 'Death and destructin is imminent' type possibilities, and I like to be as specific as possible with my questions so that I get the most accurate answers.

If you can be @rsed to do a search there is a thread about what I went through when I bought the car and got new bj's for it. I went fully round the houses twice before sorting it out.

S.

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
Steve, it sounds similar to how mine started.

Mine had just done 40k.

I believe, it was due to too much slack within the gearbox/diff.

I ended up with a new box in the end, got Renault to pay 60% though.

P

Paul Common 666

Erm, yeah, sorry.:eek:

I was just hoping to avoid any 'Death and destructin is imminent' type possibilities, and I like to be as specific as possible with my questions so that I get the most accurate answers.

If you can be @rsed to do a search there is a thread about what I went through when I bought the car and got new bj's for it. I went fully round the houses twice before sorting it out.

S.

Lol! Im always up for a good search!
Like I said I should have read it properly. Hope you get sorted mate and its not tooooo expensive :)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Mine had just done 40k.

That sounds promising! I bet it was still a big wedge of money though - even for the 40% left over?

D.

Trophy #473
I have this problem of clunking when on and off power. cars done 80k, only just started to do it.

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R

Mine had just done 40k.

That sounds promising! I bet it was still a big wedge of money though - even for the 40% left over?

D.

It sure was £700!!

Refurbed box, with a new clutch and new driveshaft. Years warranty on the box was the main reason I went to Renault.

They couldn't tell me that they would or would not contribute untill the box was out though.