ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Full-Fat 182 or 182 Cup ???

Black 182 + Recaros
It appears that the 182 Cup is only 15kg lighter...and not 20kg as I first thought....

but I'd still rather have the 182 Cup without all the fancy gadgets.

I find these more annoying than helpful....Automatic lights that come on whenever you drive under a tree..... Wipers that come on when it stops raining (and stay off when it starts raining)... Climate control that roasts your nuts and then freeze-dries them....

No thanks.

tiTTy & SV650
auto lights, switched off, xenons - awesome, climate control - excellent, auto wipers shight.

leather seats - nice and quite classy.

choice of more than 2 colours - fank thuck!

Better than yours. C*nt.
Automatic lights that come on whenever you drive under a tree.....

I've never had a problem with them doing anything random, but 9 times out of 10 I've got them switched on anyway - aids in being visible and you've got the upper hand when someone says 'I didn't see you'. Plus they're xenons, they're a shedload better than the standard candlelight jobbies. Not sure how much difference they make on a Clio but I've driven various BM's where the difference is massive, and I've retrofitted them on my old Smart and the difference, again, was staggering. Worth 15kg alone!

Wipers that come on when it stops raining (and stay off when it starts raining)...

Again, no problems here - OK they take a little time to wake up when you go from dry to bucketing it down, but I think it's much more useful than the fixed-period intermittent wipers on my Smart, which was awful for it. Definately was a Summer car!

Climate control that roasts your nuts and then freeze-dries them....

Never had a problem with mine! At 21 degrees it's really comfortable, I can cook it up warm if I need to but I tend to leave it there and I think it does a damned good job! My old man drives £35-40k Volvos and has commented that it's as good as his!

Don't forget the TC/ABS - while it is nice on trackdays to turn these things off so you can 'play', don't forget that on the road you're not always in the frame of mind to be dealing with the issues they prevent. If a kid runs out of you while you're pottering along in a 30, minding your own business, you t**t on the brakes and slide into them because you wanted a 'raw driving experience' rather than pulling the fuse out for trackdays...

It comes down to the same argument that Top Gear had about the M3 and M3 CSL. The M3 is a great car, as is the M3 CSL. The M3 is for people who enjoy driving fast, enjoy all the luxuries that we're accustomed to and it looks fantastic. The CSL is for people who have wet dreams about their gear shifting action. The Cup is in the same league - it's for the anally retentive group of people who genuinely believe that 1-2bhp can be felt... (IMO, and it's not intended to offend, I know there are people who buy the Cup because it's cheaper, and also because it's more 'raw' a driving experience - although I'm dubious of the latter, it is only a Clio!)

Last edited:
  Clio 197
"The 172 cup looses to many good things to interest me."

Sure you don't mean "loses"?

"No leather/alcantara interior"

So?

"One peice 'bench' style rear seat"

Who sits in the back?

"No rear headrests"

Ditto.

"No CC/Aircon (there were some but very rare)"

That can be a problem when it gets warm. Still I can live with it.

"Xenons"

No big deal really.

"A middle rear seat belt"

Who the hell puts three epople in the back of a Clio? Sure I put my two kids back there, but they were 4 and 6 at the time. I don't think a third one even their size would fit.

"Thicker heat reflective glass (lol)"

You said it.

"ABS braking"

ABS is a liability for really spirited driving. Of course I would probably still have my Ragnotti if it had had ABS...the bird managed to bang it up pretty well by locking up the brakes.

etc.

The Cup gains the improved caster which absolutely transforms the handling.

Better wheels.

Nice Blue.

The Ragnotti even loses the rear wiper.

Rsport182Cup'd
urm ............last week went to doncaster rovers v bolton in FA cup, yeah we might have got knocked out but me my dad grandad sister and fiance in my 182ff was good fun, and it still smokes the corsa chavs, so that makes me happy, clio is a clio is a clio - so long as it is at least 2.0l what the hell

Black 182 + Recaros

The Cup gains the improved caster which absolutely transforms the handling.

Better wheels.

Nice Blue.

The Ragnotti even loses the rear wiper.

You get all this with the 182 Full-Fat also. They call it the Cup suspension pack.
You can also have Full-Fat in racing blue (if you can find one).

Last edited:
Ignoring all the misinformation, I'd go for a FF with Cup packs. When I got mine new, the best price I could get was for the Cup, but if I was buying now I'd get the FF with packs.

However, don't be fooled. Frankly, besides being amazing to drive, both cars f**king suck. Virtually everything will break or fall off at some point. The suspensions creak, the exhausts fall apart weekly. The passenger door doesn't fit the rear quarter properly. The dealers are almost universally s**t. Renault UK are almost as bad.

Whichever you choose, you'll have great fun, but be aware that more toys means more things that WILL go wrong.

^^I love the car, but it does test my patience at times. In particular the emissions light has just come on for some unknown reason (again). I would book it it in but there's more chance of my granny knowing what the issue is. It will probably go out in a few days (again) unless the exhaust falls off first (again). I only payed £12k for it brand new, so I can't really complain, but the fact is that these cars f**king suck regardless of of whether or not your steering wheel has rubber grips (which melt on a mild day) :D

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
just take it for a good beating down a nice twisty b road, that'll sort it ;)

just take it for a good beating down a nice twisty b road, that'll sort it ;)

Thats happening to morrow. I've been consumed with work over the past few months, and most of my miles have been short trips or motorway miles. Still, that's no reason for the light to come on, but it probably IS the reason. I'm home this weekend so some serious rev limiter action is in order on my village back roads :approve:

TBH I've been having second thoughts about the R26 purchase. Are they actually any better made? I am now thinking ST3 or TypeR '07 :cool:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
i'd have a meggy over an st any day, st does absolutley nothing for me :(

Cooper S JCW
My FF182 with cup packs is about 20-25Kg heavier than standard because the previous owner had a serious ice install and the doors/rear quarters/boot have all been professionally dynamatted!!!

One of the quietest cars I've ever been in!

Personally I found the creature comforts of the FF too tempting

...and the interior of the cup 182 was pants!