ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Front wheel bearings

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I've got a whining noise when I hit around 40mph and around 65mph. I had 2 people in the car at different times to see where the sound was coming from as I couldn't tell and they both said NSF. Having a look on here and I seem to be getting the same symptoms of a knackered front bearing.

How hard is it to swap over? Tools and bearing prices? Or am I better getting a garage to sort it out? (Or someone on here for gold shillings? ;))

Mark.

As far as I know Mark you either buy the whole hub for an "easy" DIY or else you need a bearing press to get the old one out and the new one in and then refit.

Might be wrong though, just remember that from when I was nosing around the issue last year.

Matt e

ClioSport Club Member
probley better off leaving it to a garage as you'll need a press to fit them. although you could just take the hub and bearings to a garage and let them press them in and fit the hub back on if you know what you'll doing

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I imaged you'd need to press in/out. I've seen people sell the hubs with new bearing for £80 but I'd still have to fit them.

How much does a garage charge? Also what are the prices for front bearings?

Lionel Richie
think we're even less now, pair of fronts (SNR - they're the good ones) are abour £40 each and its 1.5 hours to do both (£81)

but if its cup suspension 182 the bearings do cost more at around £55-£60 each

172 RaceCar, VW-T5
think we're even less now, pair of fronts (SNR - they're the good ones) are abour £40 each and its 1.5 hours to do both (£81)

but if its cup suspension 182 the bearings do cost more at around £55-£60 each

What a gent, correcting (and lowering) his own prices!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks Fred :) I'm cup packed hubs so it'll be slightly more expensive. Your a tad fair from me (Essex) but its good to know your price just in case.

Is it worth changing the set or just the side that's dodgy?

03 clio sport asc
Hey Guys

I'm in Australia and struggled to find a 182 Cup Hub so I bought a normal 172 hub and was planning to press out the bearing on both and swap over as its only the lug bolt threads that were stuffed on my cup hub. Is the above correct are the bearing also a different size ?

03 clio sport asc
ok so to clarify, drive shafts same for non cup and cup, the actual knuckle is different as in the bolt spacing for the strut, the bearing is different as per tony hunters post: Different o/s dia

but the part I actually need is the hub assembly which if pressed out can then be reused from either a cup to non cup or vice versus correct?