ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

front wheel bearing how much play can i get?

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
hey every1
happy new year and all that!

noticed my wheelbearing over the last few days non-clio its my berlingo van its started humming and quite deafning at like 45-50mph ive got money coming on friday so b getting it fixed then
but had it jacked up today and i aint got an inch of movement holding it at 9 and 3 oclock and ive had my clio before and also a nova that mustave had near 2 inch of movement threw the same test
so wondering how far wheel bearings give movement before it *crumples*?:(

i ask cos need to go pick up this chick for some 'if the vans a rockin dont come knockin'

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
il set the scene for nova-k reg 1.2 standard 60k so prob 160k bucket of s**t tbh(il maybe add pics lol) i live in the country so alot of country driving quiet roads not like my 45 mile dual carriageway drive to work when at 70-90mph

think i get early signs that sound like extra road noise for a whiley before u go round a corner and it disapears haha snow hasnt helped as been going sideways a few times which will b kicking the bearing to f*ck

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I drove my 172 with a kanckered bearing for nearly 700 miles and it didn't move at all even after that.

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
yeah u had the humming for like 2 tanks but not the movement in wheel?
would this maybe be good trackrod ends and ball joints maybe keeping it secure?

thats mad!

Jap Box
My bearing only lasted 60miles after the noise first appeared! Took it to the garage and they went to try road test it to see the noise, got literally from the space a few yards and it gave way.

Megane dci 130
Novas have tapered roller bearings and are meant to have play to allow for expansion.

Mos modern cars, including renaults have contact bearings so they dont have play. If its noisy, it will have corrosion in the races and will get worse.

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
yeah so a nova hub bearings are meant to have movement? in my berlingo 51 van its the new bearings so less play before they go or less play an still gonna buckle?