ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ABS light on after front wheel bearing change

Hi
Sorry for my first post being a request, and its not even for a renaultsport clio, mines off the road.
My mrs has a 57 plate dci with abs. The wheel bearing on nsf was noisy, got a new one from eurocarparts, lucas decent make you think.

The garage fitted it and the abs and service light comes on above 15mph but clears when ignition turned off and on. After fitting it the garage then say they have had faulty bearings from eurocarparts before, phoned eurocarparts they reckon not?

Any ideas, eurocarparts were hinting that the garage may have dropped it or damaged it when fitting, any way round the cars got to come to bits again!!

Cheers

Wayne

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
eh? your abs works off the abs pick up ring. bearings have nothing to do with the abs system :S

any visable damage to the abs wiring/sensor or abs ring?

easy to damage if handled by a ' monkey with a wrench '

The garage have told me the abs magnets are "part" of the bearing. Looked up and I think its a brown ring in the end of the bearing that provides the signal to the abs sensor, my old cars had abs rings like you say.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
hold on, just read you put 57 plate, might be different, yours sounds like the type that have the magnets like you said.

they can be damaged if not correctly pressed in. AND if put in the wrong way around the same.

ring of magnets on one side only.

TBH i think its safer to take it to a trader on here and get them to look. less chance of another f**k up.

( you might not be able to see due to not having forum full memebership )

Can anyone confirm which way the bearing should be fitted, will I be able to make out just by removing the wheel and having a nose round?

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
Can anyone confirm which way the bearing should be fitted, will I be able to make out just by removing the wheel and having a nose round?

wont be able to see now the bearing has been fitted does sound like its been fitted wrong.
normally the new bearing come with a plastic removable cover to say what way round to fit it.

Megane dci 130
If you are confident enough, you can remove the abs sensor from the metal clip and see wether the black magnetic strip is facing the sensor.

Quick update, old bearing removed and bagged in about 1000 pieces, eurocar parts replaced the bearing under warranty, bearing refitted and all fine.

I checked the bearing this time before fitting by putting some iron filings in a clear plastic bag and checking the magnetic segments around the bearing with it. Good sevice from Dave at Eurocarparts in Chester.