ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

free antivirus?

535d / t5 caravelle
my computer seems to be very slow at the minute and is crashing now and again, i have no anti virus system on it, so before i go out and buy one, is there any you can download for free off the net which are any good? and will it rid my computer of any nastys?

cheers

Not a Clio
norton isn't free and it's also crap.

Avast is pretty good for free: http://www.avast.com/i_kat_207.php?lang=ENG

If you want to pay for some software then i'd recomend Panda.

You do realise that having a machine connected to the net without antivirus protection is one of the stupidest things you can do? (no offence)

I had norton on mine till the subscription ran out, so got rid and installed AVG free, this found 2 viruses that Norton missed!!! I now recommend AVG to anyone who wants free antivirus, also got free firewall from Sygate as this is better than zonealarm as it is better to set up networks with. Also if you do a search on Google for free online antivirus check, there a a few that will scan without the need to install software perminently

Last edited:
  Punto/Clio GTT
norton is shite, i ran mcafee for a year with not really any problems.
i run Bit Defender Pro now, pretty much same layout as mcafee but this updates itself every couple of hours and MUCH more user friendly. i likes it

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I use a Mcaffe version free from work autoupdates etc seems to kill most things.

MR2 2.0 N/A & Mk1 1.2Clio
www.free-av.com or summit, called antivir completly free, ran it on 3comps and no problems got every virus thats ever tested it.

remember to update any antivirus reguarly or u mite as well not have one

jonesyx said:
www.free-av.com or summit, called antivir completly free, ran it on 3comps and no problems got every virus thats ever tested it.

remember to update any antivirus reguarly or u mite as well not have one

This is used by a couple of members of my squad... they say its pretty cool

Skoda Fabia vRS
as above Norton is rubbish, most of the others will find loads that Norton misses

im currently running F-secure on a free trial

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I use AVG on all the machines I build, done test years ago where I got a machine infected with loads of viruses and then ran a couple different anti-virus programs.

Norton found viruses that AVG didn’t and AVG found ones that Norton didn’t, same with avast and panda.

to be honest running a machine without anti-virus isn’t that bad as long as you watch what you go on and keep an eye on e-mail etc. and as long as you have a good firewall (preferably a hardware one) and run an on-line anti-virus scanner once or twice a month, do that on my main machine that I use for gaming so don’t want anti-virus using resources.

I would avoid Norton to be honest, uses far too much system resources and slows everything down. Then once the subscription runs out it’s a b*****d to get rid of

535d / t5 caravelle
well cheers for your input and advice guys i downloaded the spybot and the avg antivirus, one came upwith 2 and the other came up with.................235 of the buggers, all sorted now so.

cheers