ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting Spark Plugs

Clio 1.5dci
Just ordered some NGKs, I have seen mentioned a 'spark socket' but I don't see how these differ (from google images) to what I might already have.

I have two socket sets, one deep and one not.

What else might I need?

Cheers

Westy. MX5
The normal 10mm. spark plug socket and is all you need, apart from removing the plenum chamber.

Westy. MX5
10mm. socket to undo the bolts. They are all visible on top of the engine. But be careful when you put it back, the threads are easily stripped.

Westy. MX5
PS. there are 7 bolts, five at the front around the inlet tubes and 2 at the back either side of the coil

Golf MK6 GT TDI
I went to change my plugs at the weekend then gave up after i took the plastic engine cover off!

Let us know how you get on.

Clio 1.5dci
I went to change my plugs at the weekend then gave up after i took the plastic engine cover off!

Let us know how you get on.

Confidence inspired... if I gave up that easily I'll never replace my brake cables, lights, discs and air filter.

I could always take some pics!

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
okays quick run down how i do it.
Remove battery terminals
Remove engine cover 4 torx bolts.
Remove air box elbow. - 2 7mm bolts/flat screw driver.
Remove throttle body - 4 10mm bolts
Remove hoses/sensors from plenum - simply pull
Remove coil pack - 4 10mm bolts
Remove plenum - 7 10mm bolts 5 to the front 2 near the coil pack.
Pull the HT lead from the first cylinder
Remove spark plug
Replace plug and lead
Repeat on other 3 (do one at a time to save mixing up cables)

Reverse all of above

I would reccomend a spark plug wrench as they are only a few quid.

Clio 1.5dci
Remove battery terminals
Remove spark plug
Replace plug and lead

Reverse all of above

Excellent thanks

Golf MK6 GT TDI
Confidence inspired... if I gave up that easily I'll never replace my brake cables, lights, discs and air filter.

I could always take some pics!

Ha, i don't have a problem doing most things on my car, but I couldn't beleive how much work it was just to change the spark plugs! I was expecting it to only take 10-15 mins, then I saw how much stuff you have to take off just to get to them!

But yeah, it was a poor effort :eek:

Westy. MX5
You'll certainly know your car once you have done all these jobs. Take yer time and do it properly.

53 Clio's & counting
You can change the plugs without removing the throttle body, i always leave most attached and simply move the inlet to the right, iv done it so many times now its a lot easier lol

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
The above is true, Or if you can get your hand on the clip underneath just unclip it, i prefer to remove mine so i can give each side of the TB a clean while at it.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
one word of advice, Torque the spark plugs properly!!!!! i rarely bother torqueing bolts when working on the car but too many horror stories of them blowing plugs out the head when not torqued properly, ive saw this happen to a mates 172 and its not pretty!

Golf MK6 GT TDI
Decided to man up and change my plugs last night using Ipodsnguns little guide he did. Didn't magage to break anything! and was simple enough in the end. A little scary taking off the plenum and seeing my engine looking slightly naked!

Clio 1.5dci
Took just over an hour.... but I did it!!

I'm yet to start the engine - but...I'm confident it'll be ok - it better, as I need to be in bristol in two hours.

Flooky

ClioSport Club Member
  172 CUP, D23 Navara
I guess there is no need to change the gasket if removed with care?

Also do people torque these bolts up?

anything
done mine today , thought before i started this is gona be hard but felt my way and did it spot on .. then found the above list lol

monaco 172
Thought id bump this thread instead of making a new 1.

when changing the plugs on a 182 is it important to set the gap on the ngk plugs? If so how?

Also people keep mentioning torqing them up, but whats the correct torq for them on a 182?

ITB'd MK1
if you get the right plugs they are pre-gapped (the -10 bit in the part number means 1mm)

However it's a good idea to inspect each plug to make sure it's not been knocked and the gap closed up

Correct torque (according to NGK) is 24-29 Nm

Clio 1.2 16v
Maybe an odd question but to bypass all that, what if you had a socket that just fit straight down the hole on a 1.2 16v that is there when u take the ignition leads out.... You can see the top of the spark plug but obviously can't get at it this is why I'm assuming you have to do all that. But when there visible, if say I had a socket that fit down the hole and could undo the spark plugs from there, is that possible or is there another reason for taking all that crap off?

Odd I know but it seems like an easier fix to me.

Lionel Richie
Remove battery terminals
Remove spark plug
Replace plug and lead

Reverse all of above

why would you remove the battery terminals and the throttle body AND the coil pack, long winded approach!

Maybe an odd question but to bypass all that, what if you had a socket that just fit straight down the hole on a 1.2 16v that is there when u take the ignition leads out.... You can see the top of the spark plug but obviously can't get at it this is why I'm assuming you have to do all that. But when there visible, if say I had a socket that fit down the hole and could undo the spark plugs from there, is that possible or is there another reason for taking all that crap off?

Odd I know but it seems like an easier fix to me.

On a non sport you don't have to do any of the above quoted in this thread, as the spark plugs you can access without removing anything. You can just pull up the ignition leads and undo the plugs with a socket.