ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First ever part based track car info requird please

clio 172
hey ,

well iv just bought an 02 reg 172 and to be honest i love the thing, i bought the car mainly to go to the ring next year but i ant to get it abit more track focus before then, since owning it 1 week ago iv bought ds2500 rear pads,fronts on the way,braided brake lines, new brake fluid ect, now i was just after some advise on what sort of modifactions you would do to it, now im not after a full on race car or throwing tons of money at it, idealy over time i want to spend around 1k on parts to get it to handle well ect. any ideas on what i should do would be great, thanks

Good to hear you did the brakes.....always the best starting point.

I would consider an anti roll bar on the rear, lots of good reviews from people on here. Other than that, if you really want proper suspension, then for £1k you could get it. Other people would have to advise you though on that.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Complete refresh!

New ball joints, TRE's, ARB bushes etc etc. Will make the car pin sharp again.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Complete refresh!

New ball joints, TRE's, ARB bushes etc etc. Will make the car pin sharp again.

+1
fit some new cup shocks with eibach or cooksport springs and then just renew all the ball joints and rods and rod ends etc.
if the wishbones need replacing then go to cup ones.

and a few hundred extra for insurance to cover you at the ring.

The ring is epic fun in a modest spec clio :)

clio 172
thanks for the info people,the car has had most of the ball joints ect done, i was thinking of getting poly bushes ec next , what would people reckonmend for coilovers

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
As per above, I wouldn't recommend coilovers on your budget. And for the ring in particular compared to other tracks compliant suspension is useful anyway so a good road setup really suits. Especially for a beginner.

182cup & 172 racecar
thanks for the info people,the car has had most of the ball joints ect done, i was thinking of getting poly bushes ec next , what would people reckonmend for coilovers

Unless you are prepared to spend well in excess 1k, I would keep the standard suspension, maybe just change the springs.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

How many track days have you done?

Unless you've done loads and are driving the car on the limit at every circuit, what's the point in changing anything??

Why not just enjoy it for what it is?

182cup & 172 racecar
As above, Dans got 182 in standard trim, and has a great time in it at track days, so have I in my 182 bog standard.

Don't believe everything you read about, you need this, you need that. It's b0llocks really.

53 Clio's & counting
My budget setup would be:

New discs and decent pads (DS2500 / 1155's)
Full service
Decent ROAD tyres
Eibach sportlines
Make sure everything is ok - check shocks for leaks/feel for wear, check ball joints, track rods and ends, check for any wear in suspension bushes.

Don't bother with Polybushing as it pushes the forces onto other parts of the car, they are good once you start making further mods.

Once the car is up to a standard decent level, I would then look at a lower drivers seat, with a CG lock.

clio 172
My budget setup would be:

New discs and decent pads (DS2500 / 1155's)
Full service
Decent ROAD tyres
Eibach sportlines
Make sure everything is ok - check shocks for leaks/feel for wear, check ball joints, track rods and ends, check for any wear in suspension bushes.

Don't bother with Polybushing as it pushes the forces onto other parts of the car, they are good once you start making further mods.

Once the car is up to a standard decent level, I would then look at a lower drivers seat, with a CG lock.

Cheers for the info.
Well iv got ds2500's so thats a check
Full servise done 2k ago
Iv was looking at pradas or the ds80's (think thats what there called)
Are they good these eibach springs. All mates mates say get coils but iv heard bad things about the cheap and nasty and for a good set its like 600 quid and up which im not paying
Iv already lowered the drivers seat due to being tall.

Thanks

Megane r26
Yeah I would defiantly go for the eibach springs an then just makesure the rest is in tip top condition. As chip said for the ring eibachs will be fine plus its a long drive if your running an un comfy stuff car believe me I know lol

172 cup
As above, Dans got 182 in standard trim, and has a great time in it at track days, so have I in my 182 bog standard.

Don't believe everything you read about, you need this, you need that. It's b0llocks really.

Listen to this guy!

Plenty good advice offered here, Please listen to it. There's already a s**t load of "track cars bra" on here with race land coilovers/removed rear seats/harnesses etc. which will simply be pants compared to a well maintained standard car.

Tony/Chip etc do this s**t for a living, you've started well with brakes now go forward with their suggestions and you'll have a great time building up to the ring.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sweet iv just been reading up about cooksport springs. Would these be ok

Ive not personally used the cooksport, but everyone who has seems to think they are very similar to the eibach based on what I have seen on here, so should be fine I would think.

Cup shocks are well worth upgrading to over the standard ones, they are a little stiffer and hence work better when firmer springs are used.