ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First car... which Clio to go for?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
what you cant yet understand untill u have passed your test is the cost of running a car, not just fuel, not just mechanics, yes everyone has a 'mate' who does the work on their car, but they dont do it for free. Even a car like mine, which is 2nd lowest tax band, group 4 insurance and does 58mpg when i drive is fast makes me bleed at times.

The clutch went on it £300 gone

Cam belt in 10k £200 gone

Tires prob want doing in about 10k £150

New wipers £25

Fill the car £60

Random bits that fall off £priceless

the list goes on.

I would buy into a 1.2/4 or a 1.5 dci 80

I wouldnt dare buy a 172 atm with fuel/tax/insurance prices.

This is a very bleak look at car ownership mate, your quoting all these prices but lets face it, from garage to garage there night and day. You sound like you wanna give the trees a hug:rasp:

Shed.
get a 1.4 if you can, or even a 1.6. The 1.2 doesnt have enough power, and im not talking about booting it everywhere, can be little things like trying to get in the right lane before the lorry hits you etc.

Petrol and tax and servicing will kill you on the 172, where as the 1.4/6 isnt as bad, and they have a fair bit of punt for what they are, 98bhp/110bhp.

Shed.
what you cant yet understand untill u have passed your test is the cost of running a car, not just fuel, not just mechanics, yes everyone has a 'mate' who does the work on their car, but they dont do it for free. Even a car like mine, which is 2nd lowest tax band, group 4 insurance and does 58mpg when i drive is fast makes me bleed at times.

New wipers £25

Fill the car £60

the list goes on.

This is a very bleak look at car ownership mate, your quoting all these prices but lets face it, from garage to garage there night and day. You sound like you wanna give the trees a hug:rasp:

thats why wse invented mastercard.

only 46.9% apr variable. Subject to acceptance.

VX220 Turbo
i'd go for a mk1 1.8 16v in good condition as it's older it'll be cheaper on the tax, parts should be easier and cheaper to get too, also with it being older insurance would be kinder.

there's always a good chance you'll crash or do some sort of damage to your first car so i wouldnt go spending a fortune on it only to write it off, i'd almost say make your first car disposable so that if you do write it off dont claim just put it down to experience therefore spend less than £1,000 on it

Ph1 172 + Combo van
i dont think the insurance on a valver would be sensible would it?

i wouldnt spend to much on your first car because your bound to get bored of it and you will want something better and faster so just get a years ncb on a 1.2 or 1.4 then get a 172 or an S3:eek: or something like that after a year or two.

Clio 1.4RT
1.4 is a fair trade off between power and fuel efficiency.

I'm 18 insured on a 1.4 clio for £1100 thirdparty fire and theft.

I wouldn't get a 172 as a first car, perhaps if I won the lottery.....

BMW E92/Audi S3
I wouldnt get a 2.0 as a first car. You may end your life in a tree because you will get speed happy :). Because youre still a kid and kids love speed

1.2 Dynamique
I have a 1.2 dynamique (its my first car) and £1197 full comp, i 17 years old at the time. Do like it alot wud suggest either 1.2 or 1.4 tbh, quick enough but not way to high on insurance and tax etc. As said before, u wil look foward to bigger engine when u get it..:)

Clio MK2 (1.2)
u can get insured on a 1.2 for under a grand!
mines a 1.4 im 17 and mines £830

anything more that a 1.4 engine at your age with no ncb you are having a joke really!

How did you manage that ?

cheapest i got was 976 TFF&T full comp they wanted 1500+ and im 19, was 18 at the time,

Oil Burner

New wipers £25

Fill the car £60

the list goes on.

I do my fair part for global warming, familys other car is a TVR griffith 4.0 and a Subaru legacy outback 3.0.

Just like the cheap motoring for myself:rasp: Unfortuantly for a Uni student there is no such thing as cheap motoring, just giving the guy my experience.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
u can get insured on a 1.2 for under a grand!
mines a 1.4 im 17 and mines £830

anything more that a 1.4 engine at your age with no ncb you are having a joke really!

How did you manage that ?

cheapest i got was 976 TFF&T full comp they wanted 1500+ and im 19, was 18 at the time,

my dads awesome haggling skills! i am very lucky!

but a 1.4 is fine at 17-18 i dont think they should allow recently passed drivers to have more than this because you are just going to hurt yourself or someone else. build up your experience for a year or so and then you can get a proper car i think and its exactly what im going to do!

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
My second car is a Clio 1.2 16v, tbh it does the job doing motorway miles. I had a 1.0L Polo as a first car! That was terrible.
Currently Im doing appx 200-300 miles a week combined - 46.7MPG. its not bad on the drink. Servicing you can get cheaper from smaller independent garages. Tyres..depends how you drive.
Id say go for a 1.2 16v. They are nippy, but just remember you've got to be cautious to build up your NCB..Thats when you get your insurance for £350 A year!!
And this weekend gone we did Nottingham to Cardiff back to Nottingham to London in around 50 quid. on the return to london I had the back loaded up with all my stuff.
Good luck with your buy!!

black gold 182
in my opinion going any bigger than a 1.4 for a first car is pointless - the running costs are through the roof on my 182 - i barely drive it and its £50 a WEEK on petrol, its guzzles it down. £210 to tax it, but the biggest factor for you is insurance - plz dont give the basturds over 2k a years thats madness, go 1.4 and bide your time - its the best move i made. i went for a 106 xsi 1.4 and had a blast it was awesome and cheap.