ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Finally in the 200bhp club

Golf GTD Mk7
Thing is, yours isnt really stripped either tbh, just swopping to buckets & removing the rear bits & bobs (like mine), but due to lower weight (around 1000kg) is pushing out approx. 180 bhp per ton.

The OP's Ph-Lard with ITB's, is only at 184bhp per ton, so in effect, probably isnt any quicker than yours, or even mine ...

Something like Nicks' 172 cup which weighs about 950kg, but has 195bhp is at 205bhp per ton.

True, but you've got to compromise somewhere. Plus think of all the extra torque you get with bodies :D

Trophy #382
What are the main weighty bits in the clio then, which could be removed within reason?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
True, but you've got to compromise somewhere. Plus think of all the extra torque you get with bodies :D

Torque is for pulling caravans ;)

What are the main weighty bits in the clio then, which could be removed within reason?

From memory, the Recaro's in the Trophy weighed about 3 tons when i took them out, Bimarcos are alot lighter and give for more support on track/allowing you to go quicker - mainly as you dont have to use the transmission tunnel as a wedge to stop you falling off the seat ...

Well I may just have to do it then :) if it's been proven can't argue with that!

Just remember:

Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere.

The chap that said that knew a decent amount, ask Ollie, he worships him.

Oh I'm not saying it doesn't make a difference I think it's just weighing up the pros and cons I guess. As it's just a weekend car I shouldnt of thought it would effect me that much having it stripped out hmmm

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Even so would still be pretty confident I could easily leave a stripped mapped 1*2, had a play with my mates mapped 182 it wasn't stripped but he would of had to lose a hell of alot of weight to keep up

I strongly disagree. Compared to Nicks Cup i feel you'd be rather embarassed. You'd probably keep up but he'd teach you an interesting lesson about power to weight. Seriously, if you can deal with the lack of sound deadening and the 4x4 look you'll be pleasantly suprised.

Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere.[/I]

The chap that said that knew a decent amount, ask Ollie, he worships him.

For performance "add light weight". Colin Chapman. A genius, god bless his soul. ;)

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I love the fact some think 20 or 30bhp makes cars "leave" others. No chance. In the real world although quicker it will not make a big gap.

I strongly disagree. Compared to Nicks Cup i feel you'd be rather embarassed. You'd probably keep up but he'd teach you an interesting lesson about power to weight. Seriously, if you can deal with the lack of sound deadening and the 4x4 look

I know about power to weight, just didn't think 100kg would make all that much difference, my old vts had 155bhp I stripped that out and to be honest couldn't tell any difference and slightly made me hate the car due to it feeling like a tin can but that was my daily driver so we will see how we get on with the Clio haha

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I know about power to weight, just didn't think 100kg would make all that much difference, my old vts had 155bhp I stripped that out and to be honest couldn't tell any difference and slightly made me hate the car due to it feeling like a tin can but that was my daily driver so we will see how we get on with the Clio haha

Made a fair bit of difference with my old saxo. Only had Saxposrt exhaust, raceland manifold & raceland induction kit, but would just about keep up with Ollie's cup to 90mph, certainly wasnt embarassed :)

Pulled quite a bit out as you can see ...

DSC02290.jpg

DSC02558.jpg

If its only a 2nd car, experiment :evil:

If/when i change to coilovers, my Trophy will get the same treatment. Free power.

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Having been on track with nick, ad having been pushed around Donnington by him (until I covered him in power steering fluid) I'd certainly agree. I'm 10 - 15 Bhp up on him as well as 10 ft lbs, and he was well up my chuff. His car was quicker than mine, as it's still full fat with recaro's. I've also been in nicks car with Tony at the wheel and was v impressed!! Mine may be going a similar way to nicks very soon, then we will see ;o

340i
my 188bhp, 900kg Ph-1 172 was quicker than a certain 215bhp PH-1 that had most of the interior and a cage fitted to it... ;)

it all boils down to the BHP per tonne!

S'trollin on size 7s
such a simple yet effective mod, but just abit of a catch22 when its a case of a daily driver. unless your just not arsed with comforts.

Golf GTD Mk7
Torque is for pulling caravans ;)

From memory, the Recaro's in the Trophy weighed about 3 tons when i took them out, Bimarcos are alot lighter and give for more support on track/allowing you to go quicker - mainly as you dont have to use the transmission tunnel as a wedge to stop you falling off the seat ...

Very true. Nearly put my back out when I was fitting them. lol

Personally I want the extra power for day to day and track work, and don't want the car to be so load that i've got to carry ear plugs around like a certain Admin used to ;) If it was a dedicated track car I'd have stripped it ages ago. We all know lighter cars, accelerate, brake and corner better. Never say never though :D

As said we all know lighter cars are faster I just didn't how extreme the differences could be, yea pretty much how my Saxo looked but living with it day to day was awful haha

I love the fact some think 20 or 30bhp makes cars "leave" others. No chance. In the real world although quicker it will not make a big gap.

Yes it did "leave" the mapped 182 not as big as your making out just didn't know how much weight loss actually did!

Italian 3.2 V6
Don't forget the most important part. The driver!

All this weight and power malarkey usually means fook all if the driver is turd.

Having been on track with nick, ad having been pushed around Donnington by him (until I covered him in power steering fluid) I'd certainly agree. I'm 10 - 15 Bhp up on him as well as 10 ft lbs, and he was well up my chuff. His car was quicker than mine, as it's still full fat with recaro's. I've also been in nicks car with Tony at the wheel and was v impressed!! Mine may be going a similar way to nicks very soon, then we will see ;o

Hi! :)

haha hi guys, after thinking for a few days I think my car is going to go on a serious diet! Its time to experiment :) what do the 182's weight standard? What weight can I shift with the car still been able to pass an mot? thanks