ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Finally bought a Renaultsport Clio: My PH1 172.

120d M Sport
After wanting one for so long, and patiently making my way up with a couple of decent cars in between, I've finally bought one.

Here's the 106 GTI I impulsively decided to sell to fund the move:

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

Actually pocketed £500 out of selling the GTI and buying this, GTI's really command a premium. £250 was spent on the difference in insurance price mind. Didn't quite get it under £1k as I hoped, but near enough with me turning 21 come renewal.

So here she is, paid £1250 for it, 104k, full service history, cambelt done at 75k (due next year), lots of big invoices for work done. Drives very, very well!

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0413.gif

IMG_0411.jpg

Anyone on here used to own it? I recognise the number plate from somewhere and someone has sprayed the badges black, seems a bit of a CS kinda mod.

225 Cup & Williams
Looks very nice mate. It should have the aluminium bonnet and the shift light with it being a W plate.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
best cars i ever had. 2nd one was a W plate titanium too. Beast. Yours looks quite high up?

120d M Sport
Yes, it's had replacement shocks and I have heard pattern part ones can make them sit high so I wouldn't be suprised if it's that. Been getting ripped about the height locally lol!

Eibach sportlines will be my first purchase.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Good choice. I like the look of Apex but if I'm honest they're awful for the ride. Think I might get Eibachs for my cup too, shame they don't drop em just a little bit more though. Has it got the std ph1 rear clusters still?

120d M Sport
SteBurns will tell you all my cars are always super clean!

Just a quick tidy up on Sunday; quick wash, run over with the quick detail spray, went over the wheels with some polish, vaccuumed the interior out, leather cleaner on the leather, wiped the plastics down, then applied a bit of tyre gel. That's enough to make it presentable for me :)

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Been waiting for this thread alex. I'm in the same boat as you have been, wanting a Renaultsport clio but insurance just not allowing it. Think my next purchase will be a 106 GTi due to insurance being extortionate!

120d M Sport
Been waiting for this thread alex. I'm in the same boat as you have been, wanting a Renaultsport clio but insurance just not allowing it. Think my next purchase will be a 106 GTi due to insurance being extortionate!

Haha, you'd be following in the footsteps of a great ;) 1.2 Clio to MK5 ZS to 106 GTI to PH1!

I don't mind the fact I've had to wait as I've had chance to sample a couple of decent cars in between, learning a lot about them and driving in general. Been good experience and makes me appreciate the 172 all the more now.

It's worth biding your time though, I've been able to afford to buy and insure one for a while now, I just couldn't justify payng over £1k in insurance. Got it for £1079 in the end, close enough lol :rasp:

+1 Insurance is horrendous on Clios!

Looks super clean though - if you previous Clio, ZS & GTI are anything to go by this will turn out awesome

Cheers Joey. Have a few plans in mind; Eibachs, HIDs, PH2 lights (the PH1 rear bumper is staying!!) and maybe black wheels.

Someone has already done the badges black so I figured the latter might go well with that.

Last edited:

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks a lot mate.

Haha, you'd be following in the footsteps of a great ;) 1.2 Clio to MK5 ZS to 106 GTI to PH1!

I don't mind the fact I've had to wait as I've had chance to sample a couple of decent cars in between, learning a lot about them and driving in general. Been good experience!

The 172 is worth the wait, I've been able to afford to buy and insure one for a while now, I just couldn't justify payng over £1k in insurance. Got it for £1079 in the end, close enough lol :rasp:

It will be a while before I can insure one tbh. I'm paying circa £1800 on the ZS at the minute. Bad times. And yeah some cracking cars you've owned, think they are good stepping stone cars to learn to drive properly, think if I'd gone from a 1.2 and got straight in a 172 it wouldn't have ended well.

Good look with this one, sure it will be just as good as your previous cars. Now stop being a pikey student and pay your membership!

172 Cup
Looks very tidy dude, should look great with some sportlines on. How do you rate it so far compared with the GTI?

120d M Sport
Same here mate. Learnt loads about driving in the ZS and even more so in the GTI. Nice to get a feel for different cars and understand their characteristics!

Good call :rasp: mind you, it keeps me out the for sale section for the time being. Once you start buying bits it's a slippery slope!

120d M Sport
Looks very tidy dude, should look great with some sportlines on. How do you rate it so far compared with the GTI?

Cheers Jimbo, do you have them on your Cup?

Good question, I think it blows the GTI out the water to be honest.

I found the GTI to be the perfect car when on a blast but at other times a bit frustrating, found the power delivery quite peaky and flat in normal driving, felt like it needed to be revved everywhere, whereas the 172 has a nice bit of punch low down.

GTI handled better and was a lot more playful, the 172 seems to roll a lot, but does handle well when you trust it.

The gearchange on this seems solid and nicely weighted compared to my 106 which as you know with Pug/Cit is poor, then again you could really whip it quickly up and down the box whereas with the 172 I find you have to be a bit more patient with it.

What do you think of the two cars compared, I know you had a VTS yourself?

Last edited:
Cheers Joey. Have a few plans in mind; Eibachs, HIDs, PH2 lights (the PH1 rear bumper is staying!!) and maybe black wheels.

Someone has already done the badges black so I figured the latter might go well with that.

That sounds like a tasty recipe. And thank christ you're keeping the PH1 rear bumper! It's how PH1's belong!

172 Cup
I do have them on the cup dude, they are a great mod imo. Helps freshen up the steering/turn in and also drops just enough to improve looks :)

Nice to hear your enjoing it, I Will keep an eye on this thread pal!

120d M Sport
Haha yes...not quite as well as my old GTI mind you! Rides firmer and doesn't corner quite as well.

I will be inviesting in some Eibachs as said but that is an approved 'mod'.

I'm not into 'lowz' and I'm not really a modifier but the carefully selected bits I did to my GTI did actually improve it without spoiling it or making it annoying to live with daily.

That said, I am really enjoying having a standard exhaust system, it's BLISS!

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I've had my Ph1 172 for three and a half years. I replaced the rear dampers with standard Renaultsport ones after one developed a leak. The ride height is standard Renaultsport. The handling is really good. I've uprated the brakes to Ferodo DS2500 pads all round with brembo HC front discs. Toyo R1-R tyres, K Tec engine mountings and Powerflex dogbone bush. Scorpion Catback stainless exhaust. Green cotton air filter element. My insurance is really cheap but I'm 54 so that's probably why. My wife's Astra is £50 dearer than the Clio and it's a 1.6 automatic.

120d M Sport
Sounds like a nice spec that, Mark. What mileage is it on? I'm all for doing bits and bobs to sharpen them up and keep them fresh, without changing anything too drastic.

If you see my 106 thread I only made very minor changes to that, to the untrained eye it would appear unmodified.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Mine has 122,000 miles. It's still sharp and really quick. It gets driven hard on the road and on trackdays. Done 15 trackdays since I've had the car and each one gets better than the last one.

120d M Sport
Mine has 122,000 miles. It's still sharp and really quick. It gets driven hard on the road and on trackdays. Done 15 trackdays since I've had the car and each one gets better than the last one.

That's reassuring to know. Mines on 104k. A lot of people have commented on the mileage but I'm pretty laid back about it from what I've read on here! It has the history and it runs well!

TT QS
looks lovely mate.
whats that underground looking car park it looks oddly familiar?

Last edited:
  Clio RS 172 /Trafic
High mileage isn't an issue with these cars as long as they are properly serviced at the correct intervals and decent oil used. Modern engines will do hundreds of thousands of miles now.

Clio Mk2,Mazda3sport
Looks nice and sounds like its in good hands aswell and ur old gti looked nice also im a fan of suttle mods aswwlluch like you snd alot of people on these forums