ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fiesta ST love

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
Quick lap, looks fun. Can I ask about the left foot braking, is it just to save time instead of swapping over your right foot back onto the throttle or are you braking/applying throttle at the same time?

Speedy300

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Great driving Mark and a quick lap time! Golf driver should have moved over...

I'm hoping to attend another track day at Goodwood during September.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Quick lap, looks fun. Can I ask about the left foot braking, is it just to save time instead of swapping over your right foot back onto the throttle or are you braking/applying throttle at the same time?

Partly to save time, mostly to smooth out the transition from throttle to brake wherever possible (there is some overlap but only slightly), and also partly to give options and control mid corner should things ever get wayward.

I got given an automatic car for a year a decade ago, instead of selling it on immediately I decided to drive it for a year on the condition that my right foot never touched the brake pedal. It was like being a new driver all over again in the beginning using my left foot to brake but eventually I developed a feel for it.

Now, if I'm braking and no downchange is needed instead of leaving it there doing nothing I use my left foot...and it feels wrong to me if I don't!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Great driving again mate. LSD on the cards? The golf seems to be able to get on the power a split second earlier out of some corners, presumably down to a diff?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Great driving again mate. LSD on the cards? The golf seems to be able to get on the power a split second earlier out of some corners, presumably down to a diff?

I dream of having an LSD, I've never driven one so can't even imagine how it would feel and give better drive. Not having one definitely hurts me coming out of tighter turns...especially 3rd gear where the torque/gearing is easily enough to spin the power away from the inside wheel.

But, and it's a big but, my car sees the track once a year...and the circa £1,000-£1,250 all in cost of having one fitted just doesn't sit right with me when that's the equivalent of three year's trackday costs.

Plus, not having one makes me work harder...and I like that.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Did I read that you had mixed feelings about the MR230 package Mark? (i.e. it made the car a bit 'loud' IIRC?)

Have you seen there's an MR265 pack to pre-order now?? New turbo! I bet that's a rocket! Although I wonder what the compromise is (if there is one)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Did I read that you had mixed feelings about the MR230 package Mark? (i.e. it made the car a bit 'loud' IIRC?)

Have you seen there's an MR265 pack to pre-order now?? New turbo! I bet that's a rocket! Although I wonder what the compromise is (if there is one)

I've grown to love it, I appreciate it's strengths despite the weaknesses...as in the sound of it which isn't too bad now I've gotten used to it.

MR265 may well appear on mine at some point in the future, but at £2.5k plus fitting, plus £1k for a diff which will be essential, it's a lot of moolah.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I've grown to love it, I appreciate it's strengths despite the weaknesses...as in the sound of it which isn't too bad now I've gotten used to it.

MR265 may well appear on mine at some point in the future, but at £2.5k plus fitting, plus £1k for a diff which will be essential, it's a lot of moolah.
No doubt! But I imagine once you're cranking out another 15% peak hp (plus torque from a bigger turbo) it'll be louder still :p

If you do that to it, then it'll be a keeper though, so bare that in mind!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
No doubt! But I imagine once you're cranking out another 15% peak hp (plus torque from a bigger turbo) it'll be louder still :tongueout:

If you do that to it, then it'll be a keeper though, so bare that in mind!

It's a keeper already...I've firmly decided now to hang on to it for a few more years yet, the much wanted FRS can wait. So long as the ST continues to makes me smile, which it does every day, I'll keep it.

What do the st's weigh? Be like 230bhp/tonne + is it?
Be fuckin rapid then

Yep. I'm 199 per ton right now with standard weight of 1,158 kgs to haul. 228 per ton will be interesting...it's the torque that dominates though, always. Hence the LSD being a welcome addition.