ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FFS ANOTHER F*****G PROBLEM

S4 Avant
Been out tonight, fixed the rattle from my exhaust. Turns out the heatshield was sat on the back boxes, hence the rattle. Brilliant I thought, I've fixed it, and don't have to worry about anything else.

Driving along to my girlfriends, and my temperature guage starts behaving like a rev counter, dropping from midway, down to the bottom, and up to the middle again, then hovering at 2/3 of the way up. God knows what it's playing at. Coolant level is fine, engine doesn't appear to be over heating, I'm thinking it's a sensor issue.

If anyone could tell me what's wrong, how to fix it/where to take it or how much it will cost, I'd appreciate it!

S4 Avant
Alternator? Don't think that would cause the problem.

But loving the cyber hugs

I'm so pissed off about this :(

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
on me old fezzy when my alternator went the water temp thing went ape s**t.... prob not that tho lol

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
Sounds like the engine temperature sensor is knackered mate. Mine went when the car was under a year old.

No idea what to do as it was fixed under warranty.

Be careful when you've been driving for a while though, as it can drop and start to overfuel the engine, flooding it.

S4 Avant
Sounds like the engine temperature sensor is knackered mate. Mine went when the car was under a year old.

No idea what to do as it was fixed under warranty.

Be careful when you've been driving for a while though, as it can drop and start to overfuel the engine, flooding it.

Cheers dude, any idea on cost to fix? I'm guessing not if it was under warranty.

I'll probably be dropping it off at the local garage in the morning

ClioSport 172 Cup
The Engine temperature gauge is a straight forward temperature sensor usually screwed into the thermostat housing, it has no ties with the ECU so it will not cause any fuelling or engine running issues.
However there is another more important engine temperature sensor usually screwed direct into the water jacket that will effect the fuelling of the car, as this talks to the ECU. You will know if this fails though, your car will run very bad and overfuel like a b***h. If its just the temperature gauge sensor then its not that big a job.

S4 Avant
Cheers for that, car's running fine, as far as I'm aware.

Think I paniced last night watching the needle bounce around, and assumed that like all my other problems, it was going to cost in excess of £200 to sort.

Tune in next week, to find out what else goes wrong with my b*****d car

Clio172 / Focus Ti X
could be the thermostat or you have an airlock in the system somewhere?

does it actually bounce around or take a few seconds to move?

S4 Avant
Well, bouncing around would be an exageration on my part, but it goes up to the middle, then drops randomly, down to about 1/4 of the way up, then back up to the middle again.

The needle probably moves about as fast as the speedo needle, if you're giving it some

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
ahh dave's clio.. back in the problem section :quiet:

thermotwat or coolant temp sensor i recon... let me know if you need any parts my old bean (fnarr)