ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fast but slow internet

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
This is my speedtest.net download speed using the server in Milton Keynes.

2305786951.png

It's pretty quick no?

Now I trying to watch youtube and even on 240p it is constantly buffering both over Ethernet and WiFi.

I am using both Mac and PC, anyone have the same issue or got any tips on how to fix it?

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Virgin is the problem. I'm having a mare with it too.

There is a thread on the virgin media forum with a load of people kicking off about it.

Focus
Had some issues on virgin as well, speed test is showing 59mbps so at the speed it should be, constantly buffering.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
At least its not just me then, from what i understand they are just traffic shaping certain data types including encrypted traffic so you can't even watch through a VPN.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Same issue here on Virgin 50mb, its shocking, im going to call them and tell them to downgrade me to what ever their cheapest broadband package is as im not getting the benefit of the fast package. see what they are willing to do about it

I've been having problems watching YT videos recently, didn't realise it was a known problem though.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Yo being throttled.

Virgin is s**t.

Virgin is good when it works, but there is no other ISP in my area that can provide a speed to suit a house with 7 students, 14Mb DSL and skype causes the whole internet to stop.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
My parents have whatever the maximum is (150mb?), i use it for 10 minutes and its blazing.

Download something and its slow. Utter garbage, my 8mb connection at home is far more useable.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
It's 120Mb, last year I had 100Mb, that was ridiculous, it was genuinely properly fast all of the time until some idiots pulled our cable out of the cabinet across the road :rolleyes:

My parents 13Mb BT internet is by far the most trouble free internet connection I have used, it just never goes wrong.

172 cup
im fed up with virgin too.

getting similar readouts to op's post and forever getting kicked out of multiplayer games like halfway thru or something.

im going for bt infinity never hear them getting problems like virgin gets.

also phoned virgin up and they apparentely dont support xbox live when bt and others do

WRX
this is my next step, ive had sky=crap and virgin=crap
Same steps as me. BT was the only fibre optic when I moved recently. Had to pay Virgin about £70 to come out of contract but worth every penny. Virgin was dire from the first day I had it. BT has only dropped on me once in over two months.

172 cup
yeah virgin are terrible am fed of getting a bad dnf just because internet is crap.

how far into the contract before you had to pay out, im 18months into a 12month contract so i should be able to cancel.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I'm with virgin on the 100mb package, it's currently been up and running since the day it was installed about 10 months ago. I experienced the YouTube issue for a couple of weeks by all is well again now

WRX
Had a few months left, you should be fine in your case. Mine was almost unuseable, had engineers out numerous phone calls, just gave up in the end.

Polo + Micra
the only problem i've ever had with virgin is the "super" hub

take that out the equation and it's a lot better

172 cup
VM service is useable but not good enough. ive not signed upto anymore contracts since taking the 12 month one out and thats 18month ago so im going to ring up tommorow to cancel my virgin media and then send them a recorded letter.

just ordered bt infinity coming on the 15th jan so it'll give VM a months notice :D