ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fallout : New Vegas

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU
I can't even watch the video atm, but the thought of a new fallout results in a semi.

Bumder With A Buffer
I got Fallout 3 for xmas..got to say im loving it at the mo :)

I think I completed what would be the normal game but I have the game of the year edition. Just now on the level where Liberty Prime gets nailed :(

Havent done a lot of the side missions though so may go back and do them I think. Fawkes is an awesome follower :)

Listerine & Poledo
I got Fallout 3 for xmas..got to say im loving it at the mo :)

Havent done a lot of the side missions though so may go back and do them I think. Fawkes is an awesome follower :)

Id you haven't hit level 30 by the time Liberty Prime is toasted, you've not been doing enough side quests, no. :)

I did 2 playthoughs, I to get the story line done quick, then another where every stone was turned, fried or sold.

After playing FO3 and all the DLC's to absolute death, I've been waiting for this since, well, since I got off of Mothership Zeta.

fallout 3 is one of the best games ive played in my life and theres only a few that hit the top of my list and this is one!!!

new vegas will have to pull it out the bag on this one as Bethesda Are NOT making this one, so its either going to be utter s**t (which it probs will be) or good

I was level 23, then my PS3 YLOD and I lost my save. Was intending to restart as I missed the bobblehead in Raven Rock... but still gutting!

Dead and sold on eBay mate, then I bought a new PS3 slim - worked out better financially than paying Sony for a replacement.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Experience all the sights and sounds of fabulous New Vegas, brought to you by Vault-Tec, America's First Choice in Post Nuclear Simulation. Explore the treacherous wastes of the Great Southwest from the safety and comfort of your very own vault: Meet new people, confront terrifying creatures, and arm yourself with the latest high-tech weaponry as you make a name for yourself on a thrilling new journey across the Mojave wasteland. A word of warning, however - while Vault-Tec engineers have prepared for every contingency,* in Vegas, fortunes can change in an instant. Enjoy your stay.

* Should not be construed as a legally-binding claim.

Oh yis.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
As the unofficial historical g33k on the Wasteland-through-to-Fallout lineage - it will be interesting if they include some references back to Vegas in this game?

Las Vegas was a major part of the original Wasteland game. You got to jail-break a key character out of a cell after being locked up by a rival gang. The killer tank-cyborg thing occupied one of the crossroads to the North of Vegas (called the Scorpitron). The golf course near the centre and to the West was littered with landmines and you could work for a gang leader called Fat Freddy..... or empty a few clips into him instead. There was also a PC within the game that mentioned 'Wasteland 2' on the screen. Having been released in 1988, maybe it's just taken 22 years to get this far? ;)

A few shops sold some good kit, AK-47s, LAW rockets, flamethrowers, etc - but the key feature of Vegas was the underground. It was fairly large (certainly for a Commodore 64 game!) but was littered by groups of cyborgs and other robotic enemies that got gradually more tough.

There's probably a few other references in Vegas from the original game, but it's a long time ago to recall them all. As a lot of the key staff in the development of Wasteland are still active on fan sites, who knows - they may have been contacted to put a little input into Fallout : New Vegas? I bloody hope so. :)

D.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Found some new information :

# There is an optional hardcore mode, the character needs to drink water, ammo has weight, healing isn't instant etc.

# Normal mode is more similar to Fallout 3 gameplay.

# The storyline is focused on the New California Republic vs. Caesar's Legion (slavers from the east) vs. New Vegas residents (Possibly the denizens of Vault 21).

# You are not a vault dweller but are given a Pip-Boy by someone who is one.

# There is a screenshot of a vault suit as well.

# There is an assault rifle looking like the M4, as well as a new big gun with a backpack, held like a minigun.

# There are special moves for melee weapons in VATS - specifically a move for a golf club called "Fore" which seems to be a groin shot.

# The Hoover Dam is in the game and is supplying electricity to the city.

# There is a quest to rescue a ghoul from some super mutants. The ghoul can then become your companion

# The Geckos are back.

# There are both dumb and intelligent super mutants, including the elite Nightkin. On at least one occasion you can convince them to fight amongst themselves.

# Some super mutants look similar to the ones in Fallout 3, while others are new. There is e.g. a female super mutant with a 1950s hairstyle who apparently is one of their leaders.

# Screenshots include a guy with a beard and straw hat, a ghoul and an NCR Ranger.

# The only picture of New Vegas itself is concept art and not a screenshot.

# Some location screenshots include a huge model dinosaur advertising a hotel, some satellite dishes, an array of solar panels

# A character generation shot showing a "vigour machine" instead of the skill book

# NCR base is the McCarran Airport, Caesar's Legion is based in the Vegas Strip, while super mutants are based in a place called Black Mountain.

# There is also a town called Fremont and another called Primm. A topless reuve is mentioned as being in the latter. Area 51 also appears.

# NCR Ranger armor is similar to a brown combat armor with sleeves, there are concept arts of a Ranger.

# Skils have a bigger effect on conversation choices. E.g. someone with a high Explosives skill may be able to have a coversation about explosives where appropriate.

# There is a Reputation system in addition to Karma.

# First-person action RPG with the same engine as Fallout 3.

# Set in the Mojave wastelands. Vegas didn't get many nukes. More intact buildings, as well as desert vegetation. Vegas itself is mostly intact

# Vegas itself is mostly intact

# Both karma and reputation are tracked. If I'm reading it right there's separate reputations for each of the settlements, as in 1 and 2.

# All dialogue options are shown to all players, regardless of whether you have the stats to succeed or not, though there's no punishment for failure.

# Bartering is not just lower prices but negotiating for better rewards.

# Weapons also now have knock-back upon death, with shotguns sending people flying.

# Followers can be managed through a context-sensitive menu, with orders like "follow", "stay" or "attack".

# You're a courier, wounded and left for dead in a shallow grave. A friendly robot, Victor, digs you out, and his doctor owner Mitchell patches you up. You take a "vigour test", which is some sort of electric parlour game. This decides who you are and sets up SPECIAL. You can also take some Rorschach tests, but the mag says this is for fun. The Doc then gives you a Pipboy as he was once a Vault dweller.

# "Hoover Dam", and "Helios" (a solar plant, confirmed by the mag to have been built by Poseidon) are fought into and then you can direct the power to wherever you choose. In the case of Helios you can also keep the plant for your self, use the energy to call down a powerful laser, or even try to distribute to all equally, however there is a risk of overloading the reactors.

# There is a "reputation system", in which all three factions (NCR, Ceasar's Legion and the locals) will either see you as good or bad toward them individually.

# There is a screenshot of three Capital Wasteland mutants running toward the player, who is wielding what *looks* to be a heavy incinerator, but has a TV screen and no flamer fuel tanks. He's also wearing NCR combat armour, which is in gold/mustard colours.

# There are two separate screens of supermutants that look to be more local, grey skin, and the two are wearing very different clothes. One is Tabitha, who is hearing a blonde wig and love heart glasses. The mag implies she's "not all there".

# On that quest, you rescue Raul, a ghoul who Tabitha kept alive to fix her favourite robot. He appears to be a follower, as the mag says you can give him items, and also commands, such as "stay, follow or attack", and also tell him to switch to melee, in which case he'll mutter "sure, I'll put away my rather effective gun, and switch to this piece of um, metal tubing here".

# From what I read, the "all dialog" thing seems to imply there will be failures for skill checks as well as speech checks, though, as the mag states, there is no penalty for failing a skill check. In fact, the mag gives an example: A woman who the player tried a Sneak skill attempt on in conversation failed when convincing her an ambush would help the town be rid of a gang of raiders. She simply says "Good luck with your, uh, ambush"

# Regardin dialog (J.E.Sawyer): This is how it works. Each skill-based dialogue option has two different texts: one for high skill (which will result in success) and one for low skill (which will result in failure). If you do not meet the required threshold, you see the latter.
There are a few reasons for including this:
* In the same way that a locked safe beyond your Lockpicking skill indicates, it lets the player know that there's an option here.
* Some of the NPC responses to low skill checks can be pretty entertaining.
I also do want to clarify what is meant by "no penalty for failure". All it means is that you won't wind up in a worse position than you were before selecting it. If a dude bursts in and is intent on killing you, he's still going to want to kill you if you fail the Speech check to talk him out of it.

# A Vault 21 suit spotted (possibly the inhabitants of New Vegas - speculation)

# About Area 51 (Jason Bergman, Bethsda): The Area 51 thing was pure speculation on PC Gamer's part. We did not show it or confirm whether or not it's in there. PC Gamer put it in because it's Nevada, and they think that means it will be in there.
I'm not saying it is or isn't, just that we haven't said either way.

The engine is clearly the same, although the colors look more vibrant. Animations seem to be very similar to the ones in F3. The models also look very similar, the mutants especially borrow very much from design the of the ones in F3, at least for now. Their new armor looks pretty fit for the setting.

#Looks like dynamite might be in;

#Doctor Mitchell, the one that revives the PC at the start of the game, lives in a town called Goodsprings. He might also be a ghoul since he says he was in a vault at war time. It seems he also owns Victor the robot, aparently the one that is digging up the sand in the teaser trailer - and, very probably, the game's intro. And that's the Player Character burried in the sand.

#It might be that we'll have many more options in dialogue based on skills, although this is not clearly explained in the article. (I'm mentioning this because you can't really tell what exactly they say about this: is it more evolved than what Fallout 3 brought or exactly like that, since there are enough skill, stat, perk and karma checks in F3)

#A new minor faction is in, the Powder Gangers, which will give some trouble to the player - maybe not more than the Tunnel Snakes in F3.
The action takes place 3 years after the events in F3.
One of first quests is dealling with some geckos - probably the standard "kill the rats" quest.

#A new weapon is in until now - Varmint rifle.

#Along books, magazines seem to be back.

Also :

It shows the command wheel for followers, with 8 commands: toggle melee/ranged, open inventory, toggle stay close/keep distance, back up, toggle aggressive/passive AI, use stimpack, toggle wait here/follow me, return to normal dialogue.

Scripting is wittier, characters more distinct. Example from vigour test word association: mother-human shield.

Opening inventory consists of a kit from the doc, adapted to your starting stats (like Fallout 1).

The Nevada area is less affected by the nuclear war, so it has plant life, relatively unspoiled houses, and in visual presentation has saturated colours and a bright sky.

There's a tutorial (led by a character named Sunny who looks a lot like Moira Brown), but unlike Fallout 3, it's optional, so you can hit the open game in 5 minutes from starting.

NCR and Caesar's Legion are the confirmed faction, article assumes Brotherhood of Steel will be in but they weren't not mentioned in the presentation.

"In New Vegas it's all about the player examining the ideologies of the various groups that are controlling the area and supporting one over the others," explains Sawyer. "Each of the ideologies will have something good that you can relate to, but will also have massive flaws."

When asked about PS3's Fallout 3 being inferior to the others and if New Vegas will do better, Obsidian devs make no promises but indicate it was a learning process and they're working with all 3 platforms and all have problems.

The New Vegas strip is still in construction but will have gambling, variety shows and concerts.

Electrical power is key in the faction struggle.

Radiation is still a problem, there's a nuclear test site to explore north of New Vegas.

The soundtrack will blend "Rat Pack style tunes with more Western numbers".
New Vegas doesn't tell a single-player story, but weaves decision into the gameworld and gives you greater power to influence things than Fallout 3 did.

On top of adding back in geckos, New Vegas has a whole new type of animal: mutated mountain rams called Big Horners.

And :

* The Brotherhood of Steel is back, but the core story revolves around the NCR and Caesar's Legion.
* SPECIAL now has descriptions - eg CHA 10 = Cult Leader, EN 1 = Basically Dead.
* Those descriptions for Strength: 10 - Hercules' Bigger Cousin 9 - Doomsday Pecs 8 - Circus Strongman 7 - Beach Bully 6 - Barrel Chested 5 - Average Joe 4 - Lightweight 3 - Doughy Baby 2 - Beached Jellyfish 1 - Wet Noodle
* You get a Vault 21 jumpsuit from the doc who revives you, along with a pistol and a Pip Boy 3000.
* Weapons can be modified, but modifications only have positive results. The magazine implies you won't need to make a choice between different mods, because they won't be mutually exclusive.
* And a little later the magazine contradicts itself by writing that adding a larger magazine increases reload times.
* Every weapon has a special attack, not just the golf club. It seems that Fore! does not mean groin shots are back for every weapon.
* Guns have different knockback amounts, pistols don't do much, shotguns blast people away.
* There's a town-specific reputation, and Obsidian has 'hinted' that the reputation will impact endings.
* Karma has been overhauled, tracking the factions and ideologies that you agree with.
* Nightkin are back, as blue-skinned Super Mutants who've gone schizophrenic through Stealth Boy use. They attack you while cloaked, deactivating cloak at the last minute to hit you with a club.
* The Tabitha situation can also be resolved by convincing Tabitha to revolt against the other Super Mutants.
* Helios One is not only a power plant, but also the location of the controls of a solar weapon developed by Poseidon Energy which you can employ yourself.
* You can now choose the main character's age.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
2v00k5g.jpg

70z2bk.jpg

1zge3c3.jpg

If this game is anything like Fallout 3 it will be epic! Hardcore more sounds hard!!

Can't wait, Fallout 3 is one of the best games I have for the 360, which is unusual for a game with no multiplayer.

Listerine & Poledo
"Hardcore" option is going to be the ONLY way to go on this, judging by how easy fallout 3 became one you'd got to lvl.20 Grim reapers' sprint & A3-21 Plasma rifle = lots of dead everyones