ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

F1 2012

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I would rather play 2011 as the car turns when you ask it too, I hate 2012 for the reason the car wont actually turn on request.

RS Clio 182
Just got 2012 and first impressions are very good,massive improvement in the graphics is a major thing for me,as i hated the grainy tracks and presentation of previous games,sound is also improved. The handling is not as bad as people are making out,yes there is a lot more understeer,but you have to be more careful and change your style a bit for this game which i have no qualms about.

Think i will start career in the Caterham as it has the added bonus of KERS - will be on professional aswell,which i know is going to be tough in one of the bottom teams.

The omnipresent understeer does drive me up the wall, but I know that I'm s**t at the game anyway so that's probably the main reason I can't get on with it.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I am using a steering wheel and the cars steering wheel doesn't move the same amount at certain speeds.

Golf R/Leon FR
The turn in was better in 2011, but i've adjusted to 12 now and changing the setup help a little. A patch will be released soon which is supposed to sort the handling. I've finished champions mode on hard and was pretty easy imo. Doing season mode too on hard and i'm in a McLaren already after 6 races 2 points behind Hamilton.

Goliath I
I've not had any real steering issues tbh, is this found with people using the wheel or a specific platform?

I find the game more challenging in the handling of the car, even with assists on unless your setup is spot on you end up spinning everywhere, the car is a real fight to keep on the track sometimes. More so when it's dry in qualy and then chucks it down during the race!

Citroen DS3 DSport
I bought this on Monday and it is excellent when played using the G25 wheel. Annoyingly though I set faster times using the PS3 pad.

Vectra
Right, I've read some comments and watched loads of reviews, Which is better overall 2011 or 2012?

Some say 2011 is better than 2012? Some say opposite..Is it just down to personally preference?

I am using a steering wheel and the cars steering wheel doesn't move the same amount at certain speeds.

Yeah, this is what I meant when I was referring to the 'understeer'. Using a decent setup does help marginally but doesn't get rid of the problem entirely, I'm using the Xbox wheel on the PC (although no force feedback doesn't really help matters either).

Goliath I
Right, I've read some comments and watched loads of reviews, Which is better overall 2011 or 2012?

Some say 2011 is better than 2012? Some say opposite..Is it just down to personally preference?

People prefer 2011 because they're used to it. Yes 2012 has some flaws but once the patches start coming through to iron these out those comments won't be coming up anymore.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I loved 2011 but the loading times drove me insane. Will pickup 2012 when its gone down in price a bit.

RS Clio 182
Finished my 2nd race in career with Marussia, qualified 17th and finished in the same place. Did manage to get up to 5th on the first lap though and held off the others for nearly 10 laps but fell well down after my tyres went away. I am finding the professional difficulty a bit too easy and will go on to legend, but I've heard it's a big step up.

Agree about Professional being slightly easy - just got a 5th & 6th in China & Bahrain in my Caterham....if i start in about 17th its quite easy to get my self up 5th or so within the first half lap. I struggled in Melobourne though,finishing in 17th. I may try Legend when i change to a midfield team but i know its a big step up!

Loving how there is more incidents in the races,Schumacher spun in fron of me and drivers like Button & Massa have had to retire.

Apparently the upcoming patch is going to sort some glitches & problems out like Penaltys,Reducing the chance of rain,cutting certain corners with no penalty - and the understeer thing on the handling - but imo the handling is just about right,of course if you clip a kerb the wrong way you can spin much easier than 2011,but i kind of like that your more on the edge.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
It seems to me that the tyres don't act realistically in the wet. The AI seem to be able to go a lot faster and further on the dry/inter tyres when I've had to pit for full wets.

RS Clio 182
lol talking about the wet conditions - just came across at weather glitch at Catalunya - the race started dry but the engineer said on lap 2 that light rain will start in 10 minutes,but a minute later the whole screen went darker suddenly and there was quite heavy rain within seconds - the thing is,it was still dry conditions on track!! So i pitted as usual for primes,then didnt have to go in for Inters until about lap 12. The track got worse with 2 laps to go - all the AI went in for full wets,whereas i opted to stay out - big mistake as i spun a couple of times and lost my target of 16th place.

They need to sort these glitches though - localised weather my a*se.

AK

M240i
On a few occasions now I have had someone out brake themselves and copied with the side of me but instead of them getting the penalty I am the one driving through the pits or with time being added on at the end of the race.

Might want to edit that bit?

Goliath I
Started playing multiplayer earlier, could only really get onto the 3 lap Sprint races.

Good fun, especially when you end up with a group who drive as fairly and respectful as you, yet there are some idiots who play it like its the dodgems.

The penalties really are a pain in the ass. I came round the corner and someone had spun into my path and I collided into the side of them and I took a penalty.

Golf R/Leon FR
Penalties are being sorted in the patch. Hopefully out soon, Steam users have had 6 patches already lol

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
Loving it this year compared to last, great game and much improved. Seems to be a lot more emphasis on car setup during practice, get that wrong and it'll ruin your weekend, get it right and you can be much more competitive. Last year setup didn't seem to affect things as much. Tyres this year also seem much more critical, go off line or catch the dirt and grip levels drop, last year grip levels seemed to drop for 1 second then back to normal lol

About half way through my first season, driving for Force India, with everything off bar low TC, 2nd hardest difficulty level and high mid table.

RS Clio 182
Just got a well deserved 2 points at Monaco with a 9th place finish in the Caterham,basically by staying out of trouble which i think youve got to do there hehe. Qualified in 16th,my pit stop was decent so i made a few places up - i was thinking with 3 laps to go there hasnt been a major incident surprisingly - then low and behold there was a big smash in front of me at the swimming pool complex involving Kobayashi,i managed to avoid and finish in the top 10. My teammate Kovaleinan got disqualified in the early stages - i wonder what for.

I enjoyed Monaco a lot more than i thought i would with the understeer factor in mind - but instead i enjoyed the feeling of being 'on the edge' through every corner,pushing yourself faster.

Canada next - looking forward to it as its going to be dry hehe. I kind of want to wait for the patch but god knows when its appearing..

Golf R/Leon FR
They need to sort the handling out for Canada, you cannot attack the kerbs through the chicanes like last year, and the AI seem to be really fast through them.

RS Clio 182
They need to sort the handling out for Canada, you cannot attack the kerbs through the chicanes like last year, and the AI seem to be really fast through them.

I cant agree with you on that one - i can chuck the car through the chicanes on Montreal just as much as 2011,indeed its a bit more twitchy but i like that. Im on pro difficulty though so it may be different. What lap times were the AI doing in-race on legend in Canada? Pro was : Qualifying 1:17.0 Race 1:18.0

Just got my best finish so far of 5th at Canada - had an epic battle with Kobayashi mid race - he did me with DRS on the back straight twice,but i overtook him again on the next lap. Grosjean was the surprise race winner!

Finishing 5th in a Caterham does make Pro difficulty seem a bit easy,but then again Canada is always a track i do well at. May go to Legend if i go to a better team - i know its a big leap though

Golf R/Leon FR
Granted i was in a Marussia LOL, they are awful to play with. I think I finished in 15th on Legend and that was with Alonso, Grosjean and Hulkenberg retiring. My straight line speed, also with no KERS was shockingly slow.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
Penalties seriously need looking it, the only thing that annoys me. 5 or 6 times now during qualy and someone has been on an out lap, on the racing line and held me up, yet they don't get a penalty. I've actually gone round a corner full pelt and ran into the back of someone on an out lap on the racing line, yet I've got the penalty. Also find it very annoying when someone runs into you, yet you get a drive through or 20 seconds time penalty. Seems that penalties are handed out to you if your anywhere near someone else cocking up. So many times I've been in 1st, come up to back markers and they've not moved out the way, forcing me to fight past them, slightly clip them without causing damage or a crash, then I get a penalty and end up loosing 1st place.

Golf R/Leon FR
I played on this last night up to Hockenheim in the Marussia and finished 10th, got my set up spot on (plus Button, Vettel, and 2 others retiring). After the race I got offered a contract with Torro Rosso, which was to start immediately?! I accepted as I'd had enough of the Marussia. So straight into thr TR seat with Ricciardo. I dont really like the mid season move idea. plus my team mate challenge stats stayed with me to TR so I am 5/0 up on Ricciardo when I haven;t even raced as team mates with him. Hopefully will be sorted in patch.

Goliath I
I played the season challenge mode the other day and when I got to Mclaren Hamilton and Button were both still racing! The team had three cars going! Lol

RS Clio 182
I played on this last night up to Hockenheim in the Marussia and finished 10th, got my set up spot on (plus Button, Vettel, and 2 others retiring). After the race I got offered a contract with Torro Rosso, which was to start immediately?! I accepted as I'd had enough of the Marussia. So straight into thr TR seat with Ricciardo. I dont really like the mid season move idea. plus my team mate challenge stats stayed with me to TR so I am 5/0 up on Ricciardo when I haven;t even raced as team mates with him. Hopefully will be sorted in patch.

Yeah im expecting an offer from a higher team around Germany,but i think i will stick with Caterham for the rest of the season...dont like the idea of it either. Im tempted to go to legend in the coming race but i have Silverstone next which i always struggle with,plus its a wet race! I really dont like Silverstone anymore since they changed the layout - much preferred where the old starting grid was and also sector 3 was much better imo.

I just finished 4th at Valencia - which just emphasises how easy Pro AI can be in one of the lower teams,i qualified 17th,but its so easy to outbrake the AI at corners in the first few laps and fly through the field - ive heard theyve made the Pro difficulty harder in the PC patch though so i wonder if the same applies to console when it appears.

Golf R/Leon FR
Yeah I finished well at Valenica. The professional difficulty is having the AI raised by 2.5 secs per lap apparently. They need a legend setting on Champions mode etc as its too easy. All updates that the PC version has had are coming to consoles. Just wish it would come sooner.

Golf R/Leon FR
I had a really good race in career at Spa last night. Qualified 23rd in the Torro Rosso due to dry set up and wet quali. I had hoped for a full dry race and I got it. After the first lap I managed to get up to 15th, I started on the prime tyres and was struggling to keep up with my TM Ricciardo and the guys in front through S2 but was keeping pace for the lap within a few tenths. I opted for a one stop strategy and pitted for options with 10 laps to go. I was in 13th after the stop. Putting the engine into full I managed to reel in everyone, I also managed to set the fastest lap of the race too. Com ing on the last lap I was upto 10th half a second behind Schumacher. I could'nt pass him in the DRS but knew I could out brake him in the bus top with my tyres being better. I got him on the inside, and was up 8th due to Button retiring. But Schumacher pushed me on the kerb and just took the place with me finishing 0.037 off. Great race though, and made me appreciate the game even more.