ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Extortionate service cost?

Albi Blue 200
Hi guys, I'm in need of your opinion on this bill for a service ive just had done on the 200

Its had:
oil
oil/air/pollen filters
brake fluid
the front brakes striped down and cleaned
new wiper blades

All in all £143.18 in parts, Then we get to the labour at £230.50! Bearing in mind this is an independent garage and the car was there for all of 8hours (definitely not worked on for 8 hours!)

So im left with a bill including VAT of nearly £450, Does this seem normal of is it as completely ridiculous as im thinking?

172 cup
If it takes a mechanic 8 hours to do all of that he shouldn't be allowed near a car. Why did the brakes need cleaning were they squealing?

Albi Blue 200
If it takes a mechanic 8 hours to do all of that he shouldn't be allowed near a car. Why did the brakes need cleaning were they squealing?

The inside pad kept sticking and it needed the knackered pins replacing (which i bought separately!)

172 cup
The inside pad kept sticking and it needed the knackered pins replacing (which i bought separately!)

They have probably charged you £45 pounds an hour and will claim it has taken them 5 hours. Did you not agree a price beforehand ? It will be hard to argue now that the work has been done.

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
That seems like a proper rip off i would have thought a couple of hours labour for all that really!

Albi Blue 200
They have probably charged you £45 pounds an hour and will claim it has taken them 5 hours. Did you not agree a price beforehand ? It will be hard to argue now that the work has been done.

No i've always taken the clio there and i've always been happy with the prices tbh, Im not bothered about arguing with them i just wanted to make sure i wasn't over reacting.
It wont be going back there again thats for sure :rasp:

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
TBH i'd probably tell them that they have lost a long time customer, i find a few garages do this, really decent service until they recognize your a regular then they try and rip you off as you've started to trust them1

172 cup
No i've always taken the clio there and i've always been happy with the prices tbh, Im not bothered about arguing with them i just wanted to make sure i wasn't over reacting.
It wont be going back there again thats for sure :rasp:

Fair enough, best bet is to ask to speak to the manager. And explain to him/her that you are not happy with how much they have charged you and if It's not adjusted accordingly then you will be taking your business elsewhere.

106GTI / NovaC20LET
TBH i'd probably tell them that they have lost a long time customer, i find a few garages do this, really decent service until they recognize your a regular then they try and rip you off as you've started to trust them1

Your bang on the money there! Gain your trust then hit you with a monster bill. I refuse to let anyone work on my cars except me and friends guess I'm lucky to have a few mechanic friends and alot of personal experience of working on my own cars for the last 12 years.

Thats bad way to over the top.

Id say to have all that done it should be around £220 max. As the pins can be a buger to get out.

Either way they ripped you off.

Albi Blue 200
Wrighty. MartinR

I've just had a look through some invoices and last time it was there it had the AUX belt and the rear brakes cleaned and pads replaced.

Labour charge for that work was £85.50, so surely charging THREE TIMES as much for labour in the OP can't be justified?

I'm starting to loose my trademark cool with this now tbh, I'll have to go back tomorrow and have a word i think!

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Where is this kash? Just so I know not to go there when the BMW needs a service, you can PM me if you like?

The brakes need a strip down and clean per service, and grease on the rear sliders. This will take A Maximum of 2 hours if the pins are siezed on the fronts. The rest of the service would take approx 2 hours.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
It takes 2 mins to get the pins out you just heat the caliper up & tap them out.

You have been royally fubared.

I would refuse to pay- LOL @ 8 hours.

Actual times

1 hour for oils
5 mins for wipers
1 hour for caliper clean & pad refitment ( whether that be new or old)
1 hour for fluids.

that's all generous. I bet it could be done easily on 2 hours.

I would refuse to pay.

Lozza-p

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
I thought that was actually cheap but I do work in a main dealer at £114 + vat an hour.

Lionel Richie
all that is 2.5 hours tops, that's nearly cambelt money!!

oh and most decent garages don't charge labour for the use of the earth's gravity whilst draining the oil

TFR

clio182
It takes 2 mins to get the pins out you just heat the caliper up & tap them out.

You have been royally fubared.

I would refuse to pay- LOL @ 8 hours.

Actual times

1 hour for oils
5 mins for wipers
1 hour for caliper clean & pad refitment ( whether that be new or old)
1 hour for fluids.

that's all generous. I bet it could be done easily on 2 hours.

I would refuse to pay.

b****cks, you couldnt get the car off the ground in 2 mins, never mind get the wheels off!!!

Clio 197 F1
TRADING STANDARDS m8 they soon sht themselves
What would trading standards do? Don't want to be a pessimist but surely the OP should've asked how much said work was going to cost before putting it in?
I've just had all that + Camblet/Water pump done yesterday and the labour charge was £285 so yea ouch at that bill.

Lionel Richie
But the garage has a duty of care to inform the customer before doing any work, "you need new wiper blades sir/sheila, they'll be an additional charge of £x, would you like us to go ahead?"