ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust hanging low by the cat?

Hello, noticed today that the exhaust on the 182 is hanging low by the cat. Is their any brackets around here that could of failed?

I've fitted new rear and centre in the past and it still never managed to hang to low at the rear. Now its sitting low by the cat :(

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Even on my 1.2, Ive replaced both hangers and its literally as high as it will go and it still looks low by the cat. Maybe make sure that your cat and manifold are all tight??

Sounds like a bag of crap. I'm going to try and get in on the ramps over the weekend to take a look.

Thanks

Clio 197
have you checked your centre mount ?

The engine side of the cat has a degree of flexibility so your centre mount plays a part in this

Managed to have a look. Centre mount is hanging on by a thread :( I also brodged the rear hangers.

It did seem to have a little movement in the centre section so thinking that clamp kit might need replacing.

BMW E46 330ci Sport
Im in exactly the same position as you. I just went to my nearest renault dealership and bought a new cat to centre section clamp for 6 pounds. Am having the part replaced on friday by a local garage because i cant get under the car. Will let you know how replacing the clamp goes in terms of hoisting the middle part of the exhaust back up to the bottom of the car where it belongs.

Mine also sounds like a bag of crap.

Last edited:
  ClioSport 172 Cup
Last time i had a low hanging system was cus my 182 mani was off a rear shunted car and the whole manifold was out of shape, purchasing a new one fixed it. The centre hanger shouldnt really be taking that much weight, if it is to the point that its stretching the hanger then you have an alignment issue with your exhaust system. Remember the manifold is bolted directly to the engine, so a hanger near the manifold will do nothing.

BMW E46 330ci Sport
Hi,

Sorry I didnt get back to you on friday, got carried away with my weekend.

So on friday I drove to my local garage. They were empty so my car was straight on the ramp. 15 minutes later the part was fitted and I was driving away with my exhaust back up where it belongs and sounding like new.

All they did was grind the old bracket off (which was cracked). Jack the exhaust up. Put the new one on with pleanty of paste and tighten it up.

The total cost was 11 pounds. 6 for the bracket and 5 to fit. I really should of given them a nice big tip but didnt think at the time.

BMW E46 330ci Sport
Not sure what the part was called on the system. I just asked the parts guy for a cat to centre section clamp. He knew what i was talking about.

The standard cat to centre section bracket is rubbish. I ended up buying 2 normal ones before eventually getting a heavy duty clamp which finally stopped it blowing and sagging.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUT...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0ef84ad8

My standard one lasted over 5 years before it cracked. Id say it looked more heavy duty then that one from ebay. It had a bit more girth from what i can see from that picture. But seen as the parts are so cheap it may be worth getting both and making a judgement when you have them both infront of you.

Update.

Finally got round to buying a new clamp and middle exhaust mount. £13 from the dealers. Also bought some exhaust paste.

Exhaust now sits perfect. Drives a lot better too :)

Interesting the old clamp had 1 nut, new had two.