ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust gas light.

mk2 182
Just a quick lads.

Would a blowing exhaust cause the emission light to flash in stationary traffic.

I think the answer is yes. Just wanted some clarification

Cheers

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
No it won't. The lambda sensors are around the cat so a leak in the exhaust won't be picked up.

Put it on a proper diagnostic machine to see what the potential error is.

Its unlikely to really, as if the sensors receiving extra o2 from atmosphere it would add richness but not be reading it as overfueling. Therefore it wouldn't be flagged up by the ecu. Flashing indicates some spikes in the 02 readings, eg unburnt fuel only for a limited time, which indicates missfire.

How bad is the blow? the light and the blow are likely to be separate things but still, I'd get the exhaust sorted first and go from there. If the extra fueling is causing a missfire, because of a severely leaking exhaust, then it might be as simple as you have suggested.

Last edited:
  mk2 182
When I got the car 2 months ago it had a misfire on cylinder 1. I changed the plugs and the leads. Ran through some DAE fuel conditioner. Never had the misfire back. Checked on board diagnostics and no codes. Checked also with cheap eBay machine, and no codes. Where as before the both found the misfire.

The blow is quite loud. Sounds like front of car.