ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust dilemma

I had a K-Tec stealth on my car but after fitting the ITB's and the car getting a tendency to spit flames I wanted something that actually stuck out - so I swapped it for an Oreca Group N system (2.25")

I had a 200 cell sports cat made up for it and all was well - passes emissions tests for MOT easily, it's REALLY light and fits/looks good
However - it is actually killing my ears. On track days I'm wearing ear plugs and a helmet. Driving it back from Anglesey for 4hrs on the motorway was hell - had to have headphones in with iPhone on full to drown the noise out
Measured at over 110db inside with windows up :(
It's also measuring about 103db outside with the 3/4 rev test which is obviously too loud for a lot of track days too :(

I've also noticed I'm starting to get ringing in my ears the day after track days so obviously I need to sort it out

My dilemma is - do I chop the oreca middle pipe and get another 2.25" bore silencer fitted - like along motorbike style one, OR do I just sell it and get something else
If I mod the oreca to have an extra silencer am I completely ruining any re-sale value it might have?
I've already chopped the tailpipe down on it as it stuck out too far lol

Been looking at the K-Tec recessed system - it looks really nice and doesn't seem too loud but I've got a feeling it's really heavy like the stealth I sold

There really aren't any good options for Clio exhausts :(
My other issue is that the sports cat was made to fit with the oreca and it all fits perfectly - so I'm worried if I sell it and get something else that it won't just bolt on - the sports cat might be too short or something (I've got a 182 manifold as well btw)

Any recommendations?

I could get a silencer made that would clamp on rather than weld on - and then keep a straight through pipe that can be swapped back in - bit pointless though as it's way too loud straight through

172/1.2/E30
Sell the Oreca and get an exhaust made up for your likings. I'd go for 2.5" diametre aswell, especially running on bodies.

I'd love a BTB - but very heavy, very expensive and I don't like stealth exhausts lol

I've bitten the bullet and booked her in tomorrow lunch time to have another silencer fitted to the middle pipe
I know it probably makes the oreca worth less if I ever sell it - but I love the fit of the exhaust, just want it quieter. Hopefully with another silencer I can keep it for another few years

Megane r26
I had the oreca group N on my old 172, I also ran the decat ;) Can't you just have a new middle section made up to fit the oreca backbox an you custom cat? The oreca bacbox is a sleeved fit so will slide over your new section an then all you need is a flange that is compatible welding to the mid section. Saves chopping your oreca middle section too.

Too much work - the oreca middle section is a straight piece of 2.25" pipe - easier to just chop it and weld a silencer in
No point making another middle pipe with the bend and trying to make it join the back box

Was yours stripped out? Cos honestly this thing is deafening lol

Yeah I know what you're saying mate - and after being in my mates Civic running a piper exhaust I'd kinda agree

But I've run out of time/money lol
Donington next sunday, my car won't pass noise tests and I don't see me selling the oreca and ordering a piper and getting it fitted in under a week :(

It's one of those things like the Billies that I wish I'd researched more before buying - as I probably would have spax coilies and a piper exhaust now lol
Oh well live and learn

Megane r26
Too much work - the oreca middle section is a straight piece of 2.25" pipe - easier to just chop it and weld a silencer in
No point making another middle pipe with the bend and trying to make it join the back box

Was yours stripped out? Cos honestly this thing is deafening lol

Nah mine weren't stripped matey but it was still loud, next I'll be going for a piper like Danny said. I had a full system on me old Saxo including manifold an decay an it weren't as anti social as the orEva