ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Evo Issue 135

erm, a black one
good show from the renaults. glad to see the lil clio gettin the respect it deserves Trophy is a modern classic not to mention the other variations :D

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
evo is a great mag, harry metcalf must know his stuff as three of his cars made it to the top ten ;)

Plus he owned performance car before it became evo.

I have issue 1 where it says he was toying with a new tuscan villa or making evo a reality.
He still got his villa 2 years on after the success of evo

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
LastScan.jpg

Epic picture.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Not being picky... (well, clearly i am)

But that front end has been shunted! Headlights/bonnet/grill out of line and missing black stickers....

Battered press car??
LastScan.jpg

Tav

Clio 197
I keep hearing that...but can you just remove them? Do they get damaged perhaps and then people just peel them off?

My car is missing them too, pretty sure it's had a little paint on the front though. No matter, new bumper gets collected tomorrow after the deer incident.

Focus ST3
Clio V6 places higher than E30 M3 and M3 CSL??? The results are totally arbitrary so I wouldn't take it as gospel

Nimbus 197
You have to laugh at the fact that people complain the voting is purely someones "opinion", what the hell else would it be?

EVO is a cracking mag, though sadly has reduced quality in the past 6-8 months (especially the print!). Seem to be less "road trip" multi car stories they used to run alot.

Have seen the EVO lot on the North Yorkshire moors a few times, pity I was in the Vecturd when I saw them.

Renault Clio S
Now, I have never driven 99.9% of the cars featured in this top 100 (and I know that at the end of the day it's just the opinion of journalists, albit highly respected one's in this case) but placing a 2.0 Litre Trophy ahead of a 4.3 Litre 560 bhp V8 Ferrari 430 Scuderia in a drivers car list is questionable. That Ferrari, while probably a bugger in traffic, is comedy, sex and violence incarnate. The Trophy is a great car, but come on... better than a 120K track Fezza?

I can't wait to read next month's letters page.

Trophy #490
Now, I have never driven 99.9% of the cars featured in this top 100 (and I know that at the end of the day it's just the opinion of journalists, albit highly respected one's in this case) but placing a 2.0 Litre Trophy ahead of a 4.3 Litre 560 bhp V8 Ferrari 430 Scuderia in a drivers car list is questionable. That Ferrari, while probably a bugger in traffic, is comedy, sex and violence incarnate. The Trophy is a great car, but come on... better than a 120K track Fezza?

I can't wait to read next month's letters page.

I totally understand what you're saying, but on a narrow, twisty road, there isn't much that can keep up with a well driven Trophy. They're absolutely brilliant little cars, and it just goes to show that you don't have to spend a fortune to enjoy the thrill of driving that evo magazine claims to be all about. Yes, you'd have the Scuderia every single time, but the Trophy is an affordable hero, in reach of everyone, the Scuderia is £150k+. Oh, and it has 503bhp, not 560! ;)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
This point always gets raised. If you take them as overall cars, of course the 430's the better car. But in terms of purely driving the door handles off the thing, why couldn't the Clio be better? Or any light, small car with decent engineering behind it? On those grounds, they might as well have just listed the cars in terms of value!
All the things that make the 430 etc so special, also conspire to make them pretty unuseable on a daily basis. And the fact that they are pretty intimidating also means that the majority of owners will never push the car's limits in anything but a straight line. Whereas a cheap, light car, you have no qualms about jumping in and driving the doors off it. With the added bonus that if you do get pulled over, it's likely to be a chat rather than a custodial sentence lol.

172//Crap Micra//Bus
This point always gets raised. If you take them as overall cars, of course the 430's the better car. But in terms of purely driving the door handles off the thing, why couldn't the Clio be better? Or any light, small car with decent engineering behind it? On those grounds, they might as well have just listed the cars in terms of value!
All the things that make the 430 etc so special, also conspire to make them pretty unuseable on a daily basis. And the fact that they are pretty intimidating also means that the majority of owners will never push the car's limits in anything but a straight line. Whereas a cheap, light car, you have no qualms about jumping in and driving the doors off it. With the added bonus that if you do get pulled over, it's likely to be a chat rather than a custodial sentence lol.

This

Renault Clio S
I totally understand what you're saying, but on a narrow, twisty road, there isn't much that can keep up with a well driven Trophy. They're absolutely brilliant little cars, and it just goes to show that you don't have to spend a fortune to enjoy the thrill of driving that evo magazine claims to be all about. Yes, you'd have the Scuderia every single time, but the Trophy is an affordable hero, in reach of everyone, the Scuderia is £150k+. Oh, and it has 503bhp, not 560! ;)

True. True. Totally agree on the affordability side. I was going to say that surely a 430 Scud would blitz a Trophy, even through the twisties, but we're heading into pointless argument territory.

I think the Porche faithful will probably have a few thinsg to say about this list. They always feel hard done by if awarded anything less than top spot.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I kind of agree with what is being said here but given that a 2.5 ton porsche cayene can lap bedford quicker than a trophy,its still a great car but not brilliant

Trophy #490
True. True. Totally agree on the affordability side. I was going to say that surely a 430 Scud would blitz a Trophy, even through the twisties, but we're heading into pointless argument territory.

I think the Porche faithful will probably have a few thinsg to say about this list. They always feel hard done by if awarded anything less than top spot.

Yes, it would annihilate a Trophy through the twisties, higher cornering speed and everything else, but you'd expect that. If you're paying £150k+ for a car you'd want it to be a considerably better car in every way than a £6k Renault! But, on a typical British countryside road with an average surface, twisty narrow lanes and what have you, I would put my money on the Trophy. The speed that they can get from 'A' to 'B' on a stereotypical country road is mind blowing. It's the perfect tool for our roads, and I think that is why evo rate it so highly.
I seem to remember an evo issue, think it was their 'Car of the Year' competition in 2005. Someone was driving a Trophy chasing a normal F430 on a similar sort of country road but in Europe. Suffice to say the Ferrari couldn't get away from it on those roads! Talking about Trophy's make me miss mine. :(

Edit: So what if a Cayenne can lap quicker? Not everything is about lap times. As a drivers car, the Trophy deserves its place amongst the very best.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I kind of agree with what is being said here but given that a 2.5 ton porsche cayene can lap bedford quicker than a trophy,its still a great car but not brilliant
But feel, feedback, enjoyment are what makes a road car great(which is where these cars were tested). I'd argue that excess speed means you can utilise them even less. You can go absolutely banana's in a Trophy on our roads, you just can't do that in a new M3, let alone a supercar.

Renault Clio S
I guess it depends on what you consider to be important when looking for a drivers car (which for me is anything that doesn't squeak, rattle or leak). Perhaps I'll treat myself to a track day for my next birthday and make up my own mind on this one.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Exactly. A s1 Elise is noisey as f**k, but epic to drive. And F40 will feel like a kit car compared to a 430, but I know which I'd rather have. All the plush refinements that people seem to get excited over add weight. Weight kills performance, dulls responses and harms handling.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Exactly. A s1 Elise is noisey as f**k, but epic to drive. And F40 will feel like a kit car compared to a 430, but I know which I'd rather have. All the plush refinements that people seem to get excited over add weight. Weight kills performance, dulls responses and harms handling.

Hell yeah! :approve:

D.

But feel, feedback, enjoyment are what makes a road car great(which is where these cars were tested). I'd argue that excess speed means you can utilise them even less. You can go absolutely banana's in a Trophy on our roads, you just can't do that in a new M3, let alone a supercar.

I agree on this. On a minute scale, I even enjoy my Ignis Sport more than I did my 172 Cup. The fact that it's slower but pretty much as chuckable means that I get to play around more, it feels fast at 60mph, which is exactly what I want in a car. Sport Ka, Panda 100hp, MX-5, Trophy etc are loved by journalists who get to drive pretty much everything going, that speaks volumes, imo.

I've never driven a supercar in anger on the road, but after the initial thrill and event of driving such a car, I'm willing to bet that day to day it would be quite a frustrating experience. At least I/we can drive the nuts off of our cars pretty much all the time. Finding the limit in an F430 on a public road in the UK probably doesn't occur too often.

182 trophy
i agree there my lass has a ignis sport love it to bits my mate has the only mugen rr in the country and was talking about selling it for exotica that can't really be used on the roads so whats the point unless you own a track

172 cup , 197 cup
I think the list is complete rubbish , I have owned about 10 of the cars on there and driven a fair number of the others and I find the list plain baffling . Then again I suppose it is their opinion but dont read to much into it ...

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I agree on this. On a minute scale, I even enjoy my Ignis Sport more than I did my 172 Cup. The fact that it's slower but pretty much as chuckable means that I get to play around more, it feels fast at 60mph, which is exactly what I want in a car. Sport Ka, Panda 100hp, MX-5, Trophy etc are loved by journalists who get to drive pretty much everything going, that speaks volumes, imo.

I've never driven a supercar in anger on the road, but after the initial thrill and event of driving such a car, I'm willing to bet that day to day it would be quite a frustrating experience. At least I/we can drive the nuts off of our cars pretty much all the time. Finding the limit in an F430 on a public road in the UK probably doesn't occur too often.

Ditto with my humble 100bhp Focus, I can drive it flat out absolutely everywhere. In the Cup on the roads, I rarely get the space to give it a decent full throttle workout.