ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engines and water are not good friends

MML

clio 172 cup
Hi Everyone,

New to the forums, own an '02 172 cup (since Feb 2012), had a 182FF before. Live in Somerset, but uni up north at St. Andrews. Just thought I'd share a recent experience for other beginners out there.

So, decided to clean out the cone of the induction kit (k&n- previous owner, will get an air box in some time soon) and noticed the engine manifold wasn't particularly clean. Decided to give it a wee wash, cup of water and a toothbrush. Anyways, couldn't get the stuff off and that was that.

Next day, went to drop off mum and all of sudden the car's misfiring like a blind musketeer and the engine light (orange, bottom right corner) came on. With a heavy foot, car had real problems till maybe 4k, then smoothed out and the engine light would flash. Other symptoms included a really low idle- 500 to 1k. So, I start panicking and staring at my dwindling student loans! Things that came to mind- exhaust problem? rusted through or something? I'd had to replace one dodgy spark plug a few months back, so was thinking about that. Coil pack?
After some thinking I started to put together 2+2 and realise it might have been something I'd done. So the filter cone was definitely dry before I stuck it on and the piping was sound.

Then I remembered the water, bit of unscrewing and nosing about and I could pretty much see things were rather damp. left the bonnet open for a day, drove around and symptoms had reduced. After three days, everything's back to normal and I no longer have an excuse for that k-tec exhaust...

So, fellow (very) beginners- do not put water and your engine in a playpen!

Cheers,

Mo

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Woops seen a few Hydrauliced engines over the years.

Correct me if I'm wrong: When my ex's plugs seized in the block of her KA (common) they wouldn't come out for love nor money, even when heated. Needless to say one of the plugs crumbled they'd been in that long. I managed to get them all out eventually without helicoiling with a reverse thread piece. What I did was run the motor, one by one with a plug out to spit any shards out so's not to wreck the engine.... This COULD work for you if it hasn't already shagged the motor.

Worked for me anyway, the KA is happy after a fair few k's!

Last edited:

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
ahh the joys of 172 ownership on student budget!

i jet washed my engine last month! :D

MML

clio 172 cup
@advikaz - well it's driving completely fine today so i'm presuming any water/vapour has managed to escape and it's all fine!

@struggler - haha, it's made me an expert at efficient driving! yh, i was wondering, how do people do that without causing problems?