ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine/gearbox mounts and leaking cat-manifold

Trophy 373
Right i have recently had a new exhaust put on to my trophy (BTB cat back with yozza decat) with new gasket set aswell. However i think it is leaking when on power from 2-4K. The noise i can hear seems to come from the footwells so i am pretty sure it is the cat-manifold join.

This is quite common from what i have read but i can't believe it cannot be sorted. My current thinking is that this maybe related to the engine/gearbox mounts as my the gearchange on my car is not smooth at all and sometimes from stationary will not go into gear on first try and also from time to time i hear the manifold hitting the subframe (i think).

Would excessive movement of the engine due to knackered mounts cause the joint to flex and leak when on power ? and if so i was thinking of getting the ktr upper mounts and the powerflex bushes for the lower mount. Is this the best combination or is standard good enough with just the bushes.

Sorry for long post but it's annoying me now :dapprove:

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
My current thinking is that this maybe related to the engine/gearbox mounts as my the gearchange on my car is not smooth at all and sometimes from stationary will not go into gear on first try and also from time to time i hear the manifold hitting the subframe (i think).

Would excessive movement of the engine due to knackered mounts cause the joint to flex and leak when on power ?

I would say that is the problem, i think if you search there are a couple of threads that are similar to this.

My understanding is that cos the engine has excessive movement due to the worn mounts, it is moving the exhaust system more than it should, causing the seperation. A new mount improved my 172 but it still needs some work to get it sorted.

I can't comment on the mounts as i only needed one and went for standard, but i think i will upgrade in the future. Apparently they increase vibrations through the car!!!!