ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine died. Seized.

Clio 172
it was just the aux belt kit. he said they checked the cambelt but said it was in good condition and ndidnt need replacing. can u c the aux belt thru the engine bay then? cus when it happened i looked at the belts on the left of the engine bay and they were still on the pulllys etc. didnt look damaged to me.

lol you can never tell if a belt is in good condition or not, unless its very very old. If the car is 5 years old or hit the recomended mileage then it needs one end of.

yes the aux belt is on the left, did it look in one piece on the pulleys? if it is there and ok condtion then it may be nothing to do with them

ph1 172
yes the aux belt looked fine. it was still on the pulley and in 1 piece.

symptoms: i was in nuetral, i went to get something out of my pocket n my foot hit the accelerator a bit causing it to rev, it didnt rev upto the red line or anything like that, probably 4k or something. i then noticed the car sounded rough so turned off radio. the noise sounded like a clanging n rattling in the engine. cant really explain much better then that. it was real rough, abit like a diesel!!
i then pulled off and the car sounded ok while it was moving. then as i slowed the sound came back and then the car cut out while i was rolling. i tried turning it the key but nothing happened. no noise, not even a hint of it tryin to start. by this time the clock had reset itself aswel. dont know if thats sygnificant

f**ked ph1 172
sounds like dephaser if it sounded like a diesel and then was fine.

But that doesnt explain the whole couldnt turn it backwards or forwards

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Sound to me as if the timing as jumped, one teeth thus making it sound horrible then it jumped more teeth then band it went. I would go down there and look at the car, but make sure they dont know your going. go in there and see if theres anybelts near the car, and see what they look like. The other thing is they wound the belt on and did it the wrong way and undone the crank pulley a bit causeing it a fall off.

A

ashy_gtt

It does sound like it may have dropped a valve? Did it sound like it had dropped onto 3 cylinders when it was idling, dod you get any backfires through the throttle body? I stripped a broken F4R engine to find that the stem of the valve was still in the head but the penny had dropped into the cylinder!! Maybe something like this has happened?

THe garage may be actually trying to help you by offering to stip it and check it out, like I say £300.00 isn't that bad, it would nearly cost that in parts if you did it yourself. I wouldn't recommend snooping around for random belts lying around the place tho, you'll just p!ss them off :nono:

Best wait to until they diagnose the problem then decide what to do!

ph1 172
but if i spend £300 to find the problem and the engine is beyond repair then thats £300 wasted really. if the engine is so siezed that they cant moved it forwards or backwards what so ever, does that sound like its completely nackered beyond repair?

they quoted me roughly £750 to fit a new engine if i find 1...

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
If the top end destroyed itself and the cam belt did snap, you would still beable to get some sort of movement from the bottom end. However, if the auxillary belt was not working properly or came off, this could have stopped the water pump from working and could have seized the bores solid. If there was a lack of oil in the engine, surely any like minded person off this forum could have heard the valves and cams rattling like a babies toy and knew it was time for a refill. I doubt its a lack of oil unless the company you used didnt do up the sump nut up after changing it.

ph1 172
there was plenty of oil in it.
if it was the waterpump, that would cause it to overheat b4 any damage was caused right? because it didnt over heat.

clio 1.2
£750 to fit an engine?? I think id look elsewhere, ive never heard of paying more than £150-£200

Mark

ph1 172
well im going to get quotes else where of course. £750 is abit steep. but i think £150-£200 to take out the old and fit the new 1 is asking a bit much. it will be a fair bit more expensive then that! ur saying there that its only like 3-4 hours work...