ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

End of my time with my 197!!

Was a 197
Hi all.

As you can tell from the title it is a goodbye to probably the best car I will ever own. Due to increaseing running costs and other things I've had to do something very hard and part exchange it for something more suitable for my situation. Not an easy thing to do by no stretch of the imagination. I bought it for myself, but now I have to think of others. I've known for a while I would have to do it. So Monday is the day I will no longer be an owner of a 197, just a measly 1.6 Megane.

Might seem a bit soppy, its not meant to be, just soooooo many fun times I've had just don't really want them to end, Guess I'll have to find something else to occupy my mind!!

You won't save as much as you think driving the megane.

With fuel and insurance taken into account, I reckon you'll only save a little depending on mileage you are doing.

Last edited:
  Was a 197
Well £100 on insurance straight away, £80 a year on tax and about £40-60 a month I fuel by my calculations among other things

RS6 C7
So you pretty much got rid of it for £60 a month! Not worth it really :( Should have sold it and bought a 182 and pocket some change.

Clio 197
What is it with everyone?

£900 a year might not be worth it to you, but he knows his situation better than anyone else, and he's done what's best for him.

How about maybe wishing him luck, and saying he'll be back in a 197 soon enough?

Golf GTD Mk7
Dealer most likely gave the option, jazzed it up a little and he took it. Diesel would have been a better route though mate sorry to say. Is the deal signed?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
if your trying to save cash swaping a 197 for a megane 1.6 16v is idiotic, assuming he has saved £900 a year as you say, that could easily be doubled while driving something better and more fun.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I must admit, if I was 'downgrading' from the costs of owning a 197 - I would have definitely been looking at a diesel instead. Those 1.6 16v lumps have to work hard to lug that Meg's weight around.

That said, best of luck with it and who knows, you might be back in with an RS at some point. :)

D.

RS200 & PH2 172
We all make decisions that we regret and situations change, i went from a 3 series beemer to a toyota aygo and although it has been a cheap year i can't cope with the hairdryer someone put under my bonnet, if a car is there for just a2b then being senisible can be wise. If ya want more than a commute then the cost is one of them little things ya have to accept, I have now part ex'd mine for a rs200 clio and although i dread the running costs am sure the fun will make up for it.

Enjoy ya motoring and when people say ya boring just think that at least ya can afford what ya got and things could be worse ya could be driving a battered old shed and hating it, not many people can afford to have much of a car choice in the current climate, having a car is a nice luxury