ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

E36 3.0 ITB Race Build

Do the pads overhang the disc at all?

I have a set of 4 pots i'm tempted to whack on my M3, but would rather not go for CSL discs if i can help it..

Il grab some proper pictures now they have been used but they align perfect...

IMG_20160629_191056_zpson9wk0ap.jpg

Eventually got both sides identical after a bit more machine work (one hub casting must be slightly different to the other). Inner of the pad is perfect with the inner disc radius, outer is as above. Used them in anger at Cadwell Park yesterday and its safe to say they are 100x better, more so in terms of feel.

I didn't want to get E46 M3 discs due to the cost, and considering the CL's chew through discs it would soon become expensive. Managed to get it all working and properly fit to the E36 M3 discs.

Proper update once I sort the Cadwell videos etc!

330i. E30 Touring.
Il grab some proper pictures now they have been used but they align perfect...

IMG_20160629_191056_zpson9wk0ap.jpg

Eventually got both sides identical after a bit more machine work (one hub casting must be slightly different to the other). Inner of the pad is perfect with the inner disc radius, outer is as above. Used them in anger at Cadwell Park yesterday and its safe to say they are 100x better, more so in terms of feel.

I didn't want to get E46 M3 discs due to the cost, and considering the CL's chew through discs it would soon become expensive. Managed to get it all working and properly fit to the E36 M3 discs.

Proper update once I sort the Cadwell videos etc!

Top man. Likewise- I don't want to be dropping £300 on discs as mine are perfectly good...

Top man. Likewise- I don't want to be dropping £300 on discs as mine are perfectly good...

Ok so I'm running the standard E36 M3 discs - 315mm x 28mm. Porsche 996 Front Calipers (Machined 12mm from the mounting bosses), Adaptor Brackets and Carbone Lorraine Pads. These are on E36 M3 hubs. I retained my M10x1 brake lines/using a banjo bolt which fit fine. These fit with room to spare on my 16x8 BBS wheels. Need a 15mm spacer minimum.

IMG_0288_zps8fda7ayy.jpg

IMG_0296_zpsm84dlwen.jpg

IMG_0295_zps7l54zpjy.jpg

IMG_0298_zpsorelatmg.jpg

IMG_0304_zpsirguczro.jpg

As you can see the pads sit flush without any overhang whatsoever. Pedal is shorter, and firmer (with M3 master cylinder). Feel once hot is much improved.

The rest of the wiring was also finished before heading to Cadwell - everything now runs from a switch panel inside with another quick release bulkhead connector on the box. Its a bare minimum loom running only the engine, rear lights, wipers, windows and gauges. The bias valve, battery isolator and extinguisher pull have also been relocated. I also changed to a black dashboard (from grey), which is cut down. The wideband and oil gauge have been mounted in a simple 3D printed panel. The heater matrix, blower motor and associated items have been removed and blanked. In the end with the new loom and heater removal it was getting close to 50kg in weight removed.

IMG_0312_zpsnu4xym43.jpg

IMG_0310_zpsswizi3q2.jpg

Cadwell Park earlier in the month was great, the car was faultless and the weather turned out well after it raining the night before...

Early afternoon I let my mate drive the car, coming from a background of MX5s and S14s he really enjoyed it...

Then around a week later a box turned up...
IMG_20160720_180831_zpsjkppq2rc.jpg

Couldn't not drop them onto the engine to check fitment...
IMG_20160720_191254_zpsdwzi3dk6.jpg

Unfortunately they were only sat on the current engine, not running them on that. Since then I've sourced another crank/piston/rod combo and a spare 328 engine for donor parts (head/covers etc). Just about to start another engine build with slightly higher compression, different cams and to finish it off the ITBs. The current engine will then just be kept as a spare. Other relevant upgrades are being made along the way, mainly exhaust diameter. Only 12 weeks until it goes back to Spa!

The current 265hp/260lbft engine is still in the car, and I wanted to keep that complete, as it has no issues and will make a good spare if all else fails. In light of this, I dropped on lucky with an extremely cheap M54B30 engine, which gave me another set of crank/pistons/rods. I already had a spare iron block, but I was short of various other bits like cylinder head, sump, covers, etc. A short while after, I picked up a cheap complete 328 engine and gearbox - which worked well as I wanted to swap my box anyway (leaks slightly) and again the price was cheap.

I stripped the 328 engine apart, then got the bare head and spare block to the machine shop to be checked before doing anything else. The block checked out, as did the head. I wanted to get as much off the block as possible this time, and use a stock thickness head gasket - yet taking into account the timing chain, valve clearance, etc. I knew this block had already been decked once, and either way it was done again after I had double/triple checked clearances. Bores were honed and cylinder head skimmed.

Once I had the block and head back, I set about cleaning up the 3.0 parts, more so the piston ring lands, as its obviously not a great idea to fit brand new piston rings in grooves that are full of baked old oil. I always cringe when I see people use a broken piston ring on an aluminium piston to scrape the oil out, as they are so easily marked/damaged, and I didn't want to make any change to the dimensions of the ring lands AT ALL. The carbon was pretty well baked on deep in the grooves..

IMG_0916_zpswivbjaiu.jpg

After plenty of research, I didn't want to have to sit there with a nylon/plastic brush and use chemicals to dissolve the carbon (as most damage the aluminium anyway) for hours on end. The only alternative was media blasting - but the media needed to be safe with aluminium and not even make a mark. From this, I used my air gun, made a DIY siphon feed and used baking soda as the media. It took around 30 seconds per piston to get them spotless, ring lands included. Baking soda is completely water soluble, so a quick dip in a bucket and all the media is gone...

IMG_0912_zpsznfbfvr6.jpg

IMG_0910_zpsfywytlpa.jpg

Also cleaned up the rods, to make a clean set ready to go..

IMG_0913_zpsx9lbnnbe.jpg

IMG_0907_zpsdoecgj3m.jpg

IMG_0917_zpsmqbyjoqo.jpg

With the block on the stand, the oil jets were dropped back in, then ARP main studs installed, and new bearing clearances checked. All well within spec. The crank was then cleaned again, caps fitted and torqued down.

IMG_0928_zpsyekbaima.jpg

IMG_0929_zpssngi2san.jpg

IMG_0930_zpsizm6xyhr.jpg

IMG_0935_zpscxn6thqe.jpg

IMG_0937_zps3uegtvs0.jpg

Next I set about checking the new piston ring gaps for each cylinder, which were all within spec. Each set then went onto the respective piston, and into the block.

IMG_0919_zpschyl4mt7.jpg

IMG_0920_zpsgnlouh4e.jpg

IMG_0924_zpssznhwan8.jpg

IMG_0925_zpsn0kkztn9.jpg

IMG_0923_zpsaaxhw349.jpg

IMG_0943_zpswzykbuwi.jpg

One all six were in the block, I checked the clearances on the new rod bearings. All checked out within spec, so ARP rod bolts were installed and torqued.

IMG_0941_zps7gxewecw.jpg

IMG_0948_zpsmqabmymq.jpg

IMG_0951_zps147m3f38.jpg

IMG_0953_zpsyepd0gg1.jpg

Stripped the oil pump apart to check and clean... all good. Installed on the block with a new chain.

IMG_0956_zps4d5ywyjt.jpg

IMG_0957_zpsiiwvkhdb.jpg

Next on the list was the head. New stem seals, then quickly lapped in and fitted the 24 valves. Finished with a quick leak test.

IMG_0960_zpsrzzod0ap.jpg

IMG_0961_zpspxxmtozu.jpg

IMG_0964_zpsgbz1cuot.jpg

IMG_0966_zpssl7dubvp.jpg

IMG_0969_zpswlv9xfxp.jpg

IMG_0970_zps54dvgahb.jpg

24x 'N series' exhaust studs installed - silly not to at 0.30p each.

IMG_0975_zpsme7hhabe.jpg

2x new chain guides, and new main chain installed.

IMG_0978_zpsfnjfrz8y.jpg

2x new dowels and ARP head studs wound in. Both block and head cleaned, then gasket and head dropped on. Torqued down to spec, all good.

IMG_0980_zpsydxbn4dp.jpg

IMG_0981_zpsqavrhgf9.jpg

IMG_0982_zpsavfjhzmp.jpg

IMG_0984_zpspua3zfel.jpg

Before fitting the cams, I wanted to strip and clean all 24 hydraulic tappets like I did on the current engine. Time consuming, but worth knowing its done.

IMG_0987_zpsdg3jzbyq.jpg

I originally looked at CatCam and Schrick, but both have very long lead times, and require either fixed timing (no VANOS) or aftermarket pistons. I wanted to keep the internal parts stock-ish, so eventually managed to source some S52 cams and matching trays from the USA. They need to be from the USA, the difference being their M3 engines were practically a modded 328 lump, completely different to Europe, so the cams drop straight in, and retain single VANOS. Spec wise, they are the same as the basic Schricks - as the S52 cams are hard to come by, they started to manufacture and sell the same profile.

With M52 (328) cams being 228deg/9mm on both inlet and exhaust, the S52's give a nice increase at 252deg/10.2mm on the inlet, and 240deg/9.7mm exhaust. The cleaned tappets were fitted into the trays, then both dropped into the head, torqued down and locked at TDC.

IMG_0989_zps6srrumm7.jpg

IMG_0994_zps2sdcpssm.jpg

IMG_0993_zpssfgbitcq.jpg

More to come...

So the engine build was finished, various other parts fitted such as new crank seals, water pump, etc. Before fitting I sorted my current 2.5" exhaust - I wanted to run the centre silencer at the back, which was the bigger one, and ditch the smaller silencer. I'm still not sure if 2.5" is going to be a restriction, but we'll see before investing in 3".

IMG_20160821_151849_zpsaeczbcj7.jpg

I then drilled and tapped the Jenvey manifold to 1/8NPT, nice that they have a boss cast into them for this in the first place. This is so I can run vac lines from each cylinder to an accumulator for the ICV, PCV and Brakes. I wanted to retain the ICV so it still idles well in all conditions without issue.

IMG_20160831_190000_zpsybagktxq.jpg

I didn't get many pictures between, as I was busy and mainly just getting on with it.

I pulled other engine the engine out, swapped the clutch/flywheel/auxiliary setup over, fitted the box and then dropped it back in. I then finished the vacuum system, made new -6 fuel lines, changed the loom slightly to accommodate the new TPS, setup the throttle linkage, made the throttle cable, mounted the fuel pressure regulator, and so on. Had to modify the dipstick so its now well out of the way and various other bits like that. Then fitted everything onto the engine..

IMG_20160904_185141_zps9gkak53p.jpg

IMG_20160904_185207_zpsd7todaii.jpg

Filled with oil and coolant, cranked it over for a while to build a bit of pressure then fired it up. The engine runs and idles, and that's how I've left it. Mapping next weekend...

In the middle of swapping engines we found some serious rust issues with the shell, considering the sills have already been completely replaced once, its unfortunate to see they have completely gone again. This has also spread to the inner sills, seat rails, and further. Basically its completely rotten, and we only carried on fitting the engine so it could be mapped. The only option was a re-shell, as the current one is now past repair (not cost effective), and rather dangerous. I've sourced another shell and plan to swap everything before Spa in October.

Mapping complete. New engine is solid, no leaks or issues. Previous engine did 262hp/259lbft, revving to 6500rpm.

Today it made 290hp/265lbft, still making power at 7300rpm, but don't want to take it past that really, the bottom end was never designed for it. Can't wait to get it out on track now!

Sounds epic mate! Bet you are chuffed with the results, m3 territory there!
It was already 'quicker' than E36 M3's round track fortunately, the torque somewhat helps! The M3s can rev much higher, which is great, but with the right final drive ratio a lower powered car can easily keep up (even 328s). The 3.0 M3 only made 280hp/230lbft... and I still cannot believe people are shifting those engines for £3k on 100k+ miles, ridiculous!

bmw e36
to clean the pistons and connecting rods can also be used an airbrush with a compressor? You used liquid baking soda? and then sprayed on the connecting rods and pistons? and then rinsed with water?

Correct - this was done with dry baking soda, very fine grain.
This will not damage the aluminium. Do it with the pistons/rods seperated, then rinse with clean water.
The water dissolves the baking soda - so everything has to be dry beforehand.

bmw e36
Correct - this was done with dry baking soda, very fine grain.
This will not damage the aluminium. Do it with the pistons/rods seperated, then rinse with clean water.
The water dissolves the baking soda - so everything has to be dry beforehand.
thank you! but can I use baking soda for food too?

So the rotten shell went at the weekend...

IMG_20160918_141524_zpsoezmlyp1.jpg

Made a lot of progress on the new shell. It was a complete car, so both front and rear subframes/running gear were scrapped, along with the engine and interior. I've already got it sat on my running gear, suspension, and the rest of it. Replaced the four front balljoints, track rod ends and a few other bits at the same time. The fuel tank/pump were also swapped from the old car - giving the opportunity to properly clean and under seal behind the tank. Not really taken many pictures, only the one after tidying up any unused brackets in the engine bay before a quick paint...

IMG_20160918_184714_zpshfihxchs.jpg

Will do a bit more of a detailed update when the engine goes in at the weekend.

Yeah he said he was having it, asked could he borrow my engine crane but never heard anything since, assuming he got sorted lol

e36
Hello f0xy,
Great job ! Great Build. Your thread inspire me to build an m50b28 high CR.
Now it runs with 240/240 9.7/9.7 lift cams with the vanos off point at 5000 rpm / depend on the speed .I have done 10.000 km till now with no issues
If you are kind please let me know the vanos rpm off point for that camshaft. I want to upgrade the intake with a dbilas camshaft 262 with 10.3 lift.
I'm able to remove all ms41.0 ecu restrictions
Thank you and sorry for my english.

QczSVeL.jpg

Hello f0xy,
Great job ! Great Build. Your thread inspire me to build an m50b28 high CR.
Now it runs with 240/240 9.7/9.7 lift cams with the vanos off point at 5000 rpm / depend on the speed .I have done 10.000 km till now with no issues
If you are kind please let me know the vanos rpm off point for that camshaft. I want to upgrade the intake with a dbilas camshaft 262 with 10.3 lift.
I'm able to remove all ms41.0 ecu restrictions
Thank you and sorry for my english.

QczSVeL.jpg
On the new engine I keep VANOS engaged until 5800rpm but it may be different for your build...

So put nearly 200+ hours into re-shelling the car, practically every night after work, some long weekends... just to get it finished in time for Spa. I ended up having to get the alignment done on the Saturday morning we were leaving, and drive straight to Dover. Onto the ferry and a steady drive over..

IMG_0035_zpsznpcyecj.jpg

IMG_0011_zpsj5b0wiyd.jpg

IMG_0017_zpspkz43zti.jpg

IMG_0023_zpsqcay4ufa.jpg

XSP_0014_zpsyrujxpj5.jpg

XSP_0408_zps8tjje4ny.jpg

XSP_700_zps37iywwww.jpg

XSP_509_zpsyruxp72k.jpg

XSP_0533_zpsqn84v46v.jpg

The car is lighter, feels better to drive which is probably down to going for slightly different alignment, and obviously quicker with the extra power. The noise is quite addictive too...

[video=youtube;XQAYLadOMKM]

Back out in a few weeks at Silverstone...

323i e36
Hey Foxy!
That good job in your new e36. I read you from long ago in this thread. Thanks to that I'm building my own stroker in my 323i. I need a map for the new engine. Here there is no chip tuner to do this. I want to buy your map m52b30 MS41. Excuse my English. I'm spanish

e36 38i e46 330i
This is my go to guide any time I'm planning on upgrading something on my e36, excellent resource you've given us here :up:
@f0xy , you don't by chance still have the CAD drawings for the gearbox drifts?

This is my go to guide any time I'm planning on upgrading something on my e36, excellent resource you've given us here :up:
@f0xy , you don't by chance still have the CAD drawings for the gearbox drifts?

Leave it with me for a couple of days and I should at least have some drawings. I still have the set sat here on the desk if you're interested in them.

With the next outing Silverstone I gave the car a quick once over after Spa. The N/S diff output seal was weeping slightly, so pulled it apart and found the seal had actually seperated. Replaced it with a new genuine seal and put some fresh LSD oil in.

IMG_0062_zpspvxlregf.jpg

We were at Silverstone on Tuesday, but heavy fog meant the track didn't actually open until 10.30-10.45. Even after this it was very slippy, once a dry line started to appear the mist would roll back in and it would be slippery again. Had a bit of fun but never really got used to the circuit with so many stoppages and conditions were not ideal!

Back out at Oulton this coming week so hopefully get a dry day!