ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

drowning noise

Ph1 clio 172
as above has only started the in the last week but not sure were it is comin from but i think it is from the rear, it gets worse the faster you go but still their when going slow any sugestions as to what it might be my thought is rear wheel barings,

cheers cam

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
almost certain it is the wheel bearings. If it still does it after dipping the clutch then im 99% sure. Now you just have to find out which one by jacking up each side and spinning the wheel. IIRC, the one that turns LESS freely is the faulty one.

PH1 172 Sport
as above has only started the in the last week but not sure were it is comin from but i think it is from the rear, it gets worse the faster you go but still their when going slow any sugestions as to what it might be my thought is rear wheel barings,

cheers cam

Just had this on mine. If the noise increases on a right hand bend then its one of the bearings on the left side and visa versa. If the noise increases every time you turn in one direction then its probably one of the front bearings if you have to turn in quite hard to get the noise to increase then its probably a rear bearing.

I was told to check for play by jacking each wheel up and then grabbing the wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock and seeing and wobbling it to find any play in the bearings.

I found this did not help at all as each rear wheel has two separate bearings both would have to have gone for there to be play in the wheel.

Rear bearing tend to go more often than the front. Mine turned out to be the back which was handy as I needed new rear discs anyway.

Ph1 clio 172
Thanks fellas
turns out it is the off side rear, and your right gets worse when i turn left & cant even here when i turn right,& suprize suprize i nead new discs 2
some 1 give this man a cigar!!!
cheers cam

PH1 172 Sport
There's a guy on ebay selling them at a very reasonable price and they turned up next day when I ordered mine from him

Ph1 clio 172
cheers mate how much is this guy selling then for because i have had a phone round an can get them for £17 each from a mate that works in a auto factors
cheers cam

clio 03 1.6 16v
hi mate, i have the exact same problem, at first i thought it was a really noisy tire, its really loud at 72mph! and its the right hand side rear on mine, i have the extended warranty autocare thing with a/clark so gota see if thts covered.
good luck mate.

Ph1 clio 172
yes mine gets alot worse anything over 70mph if you no what i mean you may get it fixed on warranty but i think it will be classed as a wearing part and depending on what the warrenty covers,
good luck
cam