ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Losing power, slowing down.

clio campus sport
My clio campus has started slowing down, losing power when going uphill, even on a slight incline. It is not over revving and no warning lights or noises heard, thought it might be clutch but not sure. Any advice please.

Chocice

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, RSI, 200
I would check the spark plugs and see if any are drenched in oil, if it was clutch you would have trouble getting into gears.

clio campus sport
I would check the spark plugs and see if any are drenched in oil, if it was clutch you would have trouble getting into gears.
Thanks have changed plugs which has helped but now hear a hissing sound when pressing accelerator and about 3000 rpm or going up slope

Chocice

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, RSI, 200
That’s strange, sounds like the exhaust nearer to the front of the car might have a hole or come loose around the manifold letting out gas, does the dash show a warning light?

Chocice

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, RSI, 200
If it was a hole in the catalytic converter a sensor would light up in the dash I believe so it might be forward of the cat box if it was at the rear the car would make a more booming sound. Loss of power and hiss could be a vacuum leak somewhere else in the engine I suppose, one way to visually look would be to run the car on a cold morning or damp evening when it will be easier to see steam or gas vapour leaks.

clio campus sport
If it was a hole in the catalytic converter a sensor would light up in the dash I believe so it might be forward of the cat box if it was at the rear the car would make a more booming sound. Loss of power and hiss could be a vacuum leak somewhere else in the engine I suppose, one way to visually look would be to run the car on a cold morning or damp evening when it will be easier to see steam or gas vapour leaks.
Just had a mechanic check it out, came up as catalytic converter error and he found the air leaking from the joint so said there is a blockage in the exhaust. Gonna take it to a exhaust place to get sorted. Thanks for all the advice.

Chocice

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, RSI, 200
Good luck with that mate, catalytic converters are very expensive I hope you get a good deal if you have to have a replacement, funny how you didn’t get some kind of engine management light, I would have though it would have thrown up some error from exhaust gas not being in spec. Lets us know how you get on.