ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Drag Racing @ Shakespeare: Sat 27/10/12

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Every f*cking time!!! :evil:

I was scared of shedding my new tyres, after I lost my first run to a f*cking Corsa I was lighting them up like Vin Diesel.

Flol next time i shall make that much smoke i won't see the lights lol..

Shall be whacking some old wheels and tyres on and making sure i haven't got just under 3/4 of a tank of fuel lol.. I shall run it on empty.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
My tyres are extra load Federal 595s, I don't think having a rock hard compound really helped at all.

Next time i'm bringing specific wheels and tyres just for the front,
LewDew was telling me he can get a good deal on R888s, although he wasn't happy with his times over his road tyres.

But I think that was down to the fact it was freezing and there was a head wind,
and his road tyre times were done in the summer.

I shall nick the wheels of the mrs dci next time and tell her that they are so i can get home if i get a puncture lol..

Trophy #240/R33 GTST
Great day but as said it eas bloody cold!! Even my immigrant look didnt keep me warm lol.

Tom172cup your car is a f**king weapon great stuff mate..

Highlight of my day was beating that nissan pulsar gti-r thing and drawing with him a couple of times lol, then watching him tuck his mirrors in to make him more aerodynamic.. Flol.

Slicks are going on next time. Big thanks to Don for sticking it out god you did look cold.

Just to let you know it wasn't a full on gti-r was running a tuned NA engine rather than an SR20. Still good going tho! The ol clios really do hold their own. Renault did a stonking engine in our cars!

on another note my friend in his VR6 golf span his big end bearing on cylinder 6 :( engine is coming out tomoz. Too many revs!! Only bit of his engine he didn't put together was the bottom end... And that goes!!

i needs more boosts! Going to get clio all sorted this week then my skylines going in to workshop!

Trophy #240/R33 GTST
Whoops just saw he posted on the forum anyway!! I was stuck in 14.8 the entire time! Had one s**t launch and a botched shift the rest were all 14.8.. Didn't matter what I did consistant!

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
I got so excited when I beat you off the line and stayed in front right up until you overtook me just before the line,
I only lost by a car length, i'm guessing you either wheel span or bogged down off the line,
or it was broken and that's why it's going into the garage?

I think that run I did a 15:00.

Last edited:
  Trophy #240/R33 GTST
Needs service and a few other bits, oil cooler and gauges are next on the agenda (and spraying new bumper!) . Well tbf I am not running mega power in it yet. only running 0.6 bar of boost. Map probably needs tweaking and what not. She is pretty lardy compared to the clio and is cira 250 bhp so not overally surprised your quicker off the line, did have some wheel spin on that run!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I'll put the external rear window one on tomorrow,
I wanted to do it on Friday but I spent most of the day driving down to 519 to get a sump tray I didn't need.

I'll put a pic in here tomorrow.

FLOL. Can I say I told you so now?

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
I know, I know. :eek:

He opened the bonnet, gently jiggled the battery which i'd strapped down so hard it's rock solid,
rocked the drivers seat, looked in the boot and said 'right no problem'.

At least now I know what's involved for next time.

I'll be taking the tray off today and throwing it in the bin. lol

BMW 123d/Rover Metro
Wayne you cup is Rapid :approve: Maybe it was the added secret potion ;)

Cheers Dave, with the tesco momentum 99 and the "potion" it was running around 101 RON! I also had the tyres let down to 20 PSI.

Best run of 14.58 @ 95mph :) very chuffed with that!

I actually can't believe the difference between the Cup and other Clio's, they're world's apart on the strip.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
20 psi, I didn't realise they needed to be that low?

I had road pressures in at 33 psi, that along with the temperature and head wind explains why I couldn't get into the 14s
next time i'll try lower the pressures on R88s or something.

Last edited:
PICTURES! Here are the ones of you lot. Sorry if you don't have one - they probably weren't very good or I didn't catch you. I tried my best to get everyone, but I think I missed a couple.

8134596278_c52ee11a88_z.png
Clio 172 Cup by Tom Cash, on Flickr

8134595632_9ac6dcb915_z.png

8134594828_5a56011b7e_z.png
Clio 182 by Tom Cash, on Flickr

Blurry as hell, but it looked fast and cool, so I kept it... \/\/\/\/

8134566239_42fb679d2b_z.png
Civic Type R (EP3) by Tom Cash, on Flickr

8134592458_571094cbe1_z.png

8134565159_0a59a3a8f3_z.png

8134591768_ac275cab6c_z.png

Finally, when Simon challenged a Mustang!

8134595086_2f4ee3108b_z.png
Ambitious Clio 182 by Tom Cash, on Flickr

More here: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?667489-Drag-Racing-Shakespeare-Pictures
And more on my blog: http://www.tomcash.co.uk/cliosport-drag-racing-day/

Please show my blog some love with a Facebook Like or a Tweet, as I did spend my dad freezing my knackers off for these. :D ;)

Also, if anyone wants a full res of theirs for their desktop or print, etc, LMK. I'll remove the badge too. :)

BG182ff,explod Focus
What a great way to spend a day, as soon as I got obsessed with getting into the 14s,
worrying about shredding my brand new tyres on burnouts went out the f*cking window. lol

I proper knackered though, my inner thighs as aching like f*ck
and I never knew it would be so mentally draining trying to get the perfect launch and shifts.

I really want to do it on a hot day now, i'm sure I could get well into the 14s.

Although a 15:00 isn't too bad for a novice on a cold day I think.

I was pretty determined to beat your kennel on my last run but you just beat me by 0.007 seconds

IMG_0176.jpg

Considering I was driving the "inferior" 182 to your "superior" 172 cup, you had lightened your car and you have one of the better engines and had better tyres I suppose I didn't do to bad ;)

Most of my runs were a mass of spinning wheels and I even did a couple with the traction control on because I iz fik but I did manage one decent run.

IMG_0177.jpg

Don't worry Dave, I'm sure you'll get a low 14 yourself if you keep trying.......;)

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
The run I beat you on was all down to reaction time, you were actually quicker than me over the 1/4.

I can't believe you did a 14.4, how the f*ck did you manage that, tyre pressure fiddling or something?
That's actually pissed me off even more now. lol

Everyone seemed to be able to get into the 14s but me. :mad:

Oh and the dog kennel's a full fat mate. ;)

Last edited:
  BG182ff,explod Focus
Haha, yeah. My reaction time was appalling on that last run.

To be honest I have no idea how I got a 14.44 with a terminal of 100.9mph, I think there must have been a strong tail wind pushing me up the track.

Lesson learnt with the tyres though.
Rainsport2's are not a good choice for fast starts that's for sure, I was wheel spinning in 1st and 2nd most runs. Next time I'll put some decent rubber on my spare 15inch wheels.

Apart from the run where the throttle stuck open and the engine was screaming every time I tried changing up a gear. I really was expecting my engine to blow up when that happened and was ever so slightly worried :S

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
You ran a 14.4??? That's quicker than Wayne in his cup?!

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
I ran a 14.1.....well I would have.
Can we do this again please, I'll selotape my car keys to my private parts so I don't loose them haha

Glad to see everyone had a good day, sorry it was so cold but I made sure I kept it dry for you, you can't have everything lol.

I ran a 14.1.....well I would have.
Can we do this again please, I'll selotape my car keys to my private parts so I don't loose them haha

Glad to see everyone had a good day, sorry it was so cold but I made sure I kept it dry for you, you can't have everything lol.

Or drink less;)

I want to do it again tbh should make it a yearly thing like the RRday

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
Or drink less;)

I want to do it again tbh should make it a yearly thing like the RRday

Mate, believe it or not, wasn't the reason which is probably why I'm so annoyed, if I'd had an amazing night I'd not mind missing out quite as much but I made sure I had only a couple pints :( Got all the way to my car the next mirning, had left keys at home and as my mums on holiday I had no way of getting in the house to get them, had to stay at my girlfriends lol.

Yearly thing is a great idea...just maybe not this time of the year from now on haha.

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
So gutted I couldn't make this! Stupid car cleaning!! So keen for a track day tho!!! Would 100% b in for that!!

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I'll speak to rob about an exclusive one just for us lot at Curborough as he has contacts etc, would be great.

I think maybe a trackday at blyton park would be better, or maybe donnington (expensive). I have never done a sprint track like curborough but I can't imagine it being as satisfying as constantly doing laps and achieving a sense of rhythm, but obviously price and location is a major factor in choosing curborough.

Blyton park is about £100, Llandow is about £80.

What about an airfield day?

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
On another note, Mick reckons I have knackered my Dogbone mount whilst Drag Racing, at least it hopefully wasn't/isn't Drivetrain related.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
I was pretty determined to beat your kennel on my last run but you just beat me by 0.007 seconds

IMG_0176.jpg

Considering I was driving the "inferior" 182 to your "superior" 172 cup, you had lightened your car and you have one of the better engines and had better tyres I suppose I didn't do to bad ;)

Most of my runs were a mass of spinning wheels and I even did a couple with the traction control on because I iz fik but I did manage one decent run.

IMG_0177.jpg

Don't worry Dave, I'm sure you'll get a low 14 yourself if you keep trying.......;)

Thats impressive time mate !!:approve:

What mods are on your car ?

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
I think maybe a trackday at blyton park would be better, or maybe donnington (expensive). I have never done a sprint track like curborough but I can't imagine it being as satisfying as constantly doing laps and achieving a sense of rhythm, but obviously price and location is a major factor in choosing curborough.

Blyton park is about £100, Llandow is about £80.

What about an airfield day?

Agreed other track days may be better but a few points....
Curborough is about £45 including breakfast and lunch.
De to the fact you do 2 laps and then join the back of the queue it's a lot less strenuous on the cars, not putting the same sorts of wear on to the car.
It's fairly local to most people and is great for beginners.
From my experienced it was very relaxed, great fun and just a fun day out, nothing serious compared to an organised trackday.
Plus if Rob can sort it can be exclusively ours and a wide variety of dates, think we'd struggle to do that at other tracks.
I can see your point though mate and I myself would 100% prefer a day at a circuit but think we'll get more numbers at a £40 fun day.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I agree with your points completely and for a meet, Curborough is probably the best option for a meet, but not a track day. I would go if one was organised as i think it would be a laugh.

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah sorry mate did mean more for it as a meet, it's certainly not what if consider a 'track day' but would be a great laugh, could even do a BBQ, be great fun haha.

I personally will be doing a few track days in the new year, maybe even a lot depending on finding a job so may see you at a few :)

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I'm up for it deffo. And my mate in scooby if that's ok. It would be a great shout. ;)