ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does the Clio mk3 tce share the same gearbox with the Twingo GT?

Renault Clio RS200
I’m putting my clio tce through its paces pretty soon. Pushing for power with new turbo, injectors etc. I know I’m going to be needing a new, uprated clutch to deal with the new ‘neck breaking’ power. I have only been able to find a clutch for the Twingo GT and knowing they have the same engines I’m wondering if anyone can share light onto if they have the same gearbox.
Cheers in advance

Renault Clio RS200
both jh3 series gearboxes yes. 200mm clutch 26 spine and 7mm thick if I remember correctly.
Actually, seen as you have what I assume is a Twingo gt on your profile. Would you know where (if you got one) I could find a higher performance clutch? Cheers mate

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
it's a Renault engine. its not defo but all the measurements show itd be close. well the friction plate anyway. Volvo 440 1.7 turbo 200mm clutch. they do a 215mm but that wont fit for sure

Last edited:
  Renault Clio RS200
Okay well either way cheers mate. Seen as you’re a wealth of knowledge on these engines do you know anything of high lift cams?

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
good to see a few more pushing the little engines. they arnt really supported but are cracking engines with a few bolt ons and a proper remap

Renault Clio RS200
Yeah it seems so, I’ve heard many good things but seen a lot of people talking down on them.

This Clio is my first car you see, and with a trade in value of no more than £1800 I just want to keep it and turn it into a quick but quirky fast road/road rally car should be great fun!

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
if i were you id go with exhaust, air filter 172 inectors and a remap. see how you go from there. Them bits are of little outlay. Clutch when needed then bigger turbo, then maybe a cam if you find the stock one causing you issues. I expect you will find the limits of the rods before needing a cam though.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
same gearbox but the ratios appear to be different the twingos seem a chunk shorter, only reason I found out was when I had the tuned twingo GT and my mate had a tuned clio TCE, we were trying to do side by side rolling starts but couldn't find a gear to start in as both cars were at completely different revs!

Renault Clio RS200
Ch
same gearbox but the ratios appear to be different the twingos seem a chunk shorter, only reason I found out was when I had the tuned twingo GT and my mate had a tuned clio TCE, we were trying to do side by side rolling starts but couldn't find a gear to start in as both cars were at completely different revs!
Cheers mate, interesting... I wonder how or if this would effect the wear of the clutch :/

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Wouldn't really, in theory I suppose longer gearing is harder for the engine to turn so more chance of it spending prolonged time lower down in the torque band which can wear the clutch

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Twingo has a JH3169 and the clio a JH3186, here are the ratios vs each other. Twingo is listed with my higher rev limit of 100rpm though. Both based on running 195/50/15s

Twingo
JH3169stock.PNG

Clio
cliotcebox.PNG

Clio III 1.2 Tce
it's a Renault engine. its not defo but all the measurements show itd be close. well the friction plate anyway. Volvo 440 1.7 turbo 200mm clutch. they do a 215mm but that wont fit for sure
Hi Adey, if you can remember, you think the Volvo disk and plate would fit? Or the Volvo disk with the Renault plate?