ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does the 172 cup have wider track than a normal 172? and is the ARB different

If the 172 cup has wider track than a 172 and if it does where is it? and is the cup ARB different to a normal 172 one?

Dan at sjm said the wishbone mountings are 5mm further out each side and the other 5mm each side comes from the wheels, someone on here ran the part numbers on the subframes and they were the same but that might be because the cup one is now the only one available.

PH2 172
@midge
All Ph2 ARBs are part number 8200 104 120.
Std PH2 172 rims are ET48.5 & 172 Cup is ET38,which is 21mm right there,which I believe is the difference.
Ph1 & Ph2 std 172 share front wishbones 6000 073 511 & 512,(which are still available).All other 172 & 182 models share front wishbones 8200 257 956/957 with the cup spec castor angle.
I`ll bring some std 172 wishbones when I pick up the wing,and we can confirm there is no difference in the width once & for all.
All PH2 front subframes are the same pn 8200 107 153 on UK spec cars.

Attachments

• Suspension setups.pdf
    63.6 KB · Views: 173
  • clio_sport_technical_manuals.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 152
Interesting steve, i cant reply to the post on facebook as it got locked, i actually have a cup and a non cup 172 here so ill compare the subframes once they are off, that should settle it!

(I also cant tag Dan @sjm in this post for some reason)

PH2 172
Interesting steve, i cant reply to the post on facebook as it got locked, i actually have a cup and a non cup 172 here so ill compare the subframes once they are off, that should settle it!

(I also cant tag Dan @sjm in this post for some reason)

All UK ph 2 subframes are the same.

Cup In bits
No.... they might be now from factory as they ramp down production on an ageing product line and slimline their production numbers. I have spent months researching the difference and 172 cups have different subframes, wishbones, drive shafts and steering arms compared to the original ph2 172. Hubs also change slightly throughout production with the 182 having a bigger bearing but I have never managed any conclusive measurement to see if the string arm height and scrub radius were altered at the same time.

That's all static geometry and then yes the wheels are a wider offset, the rear stub axles and rear arb's built into the axles were also thicker/wider throughout production. Some of this filtered into later 172 ph2 and 182's, seems random though but all my cups have had the same gear on them except my early 172 cup didn't come with a load sensing/cup bias valve.

Cup In bits
Any chance that the non cup subframe is from a PH1 172,8200 195 989?

I wouldn't get hung up on what's listed, from what I gather Renaults part system is hopeless... Well experienced partsmen struggling with finding things.

If you're looking for particular parts, search a particular registration that you know has "insert here" part fitted as when I went to look for cup wishbones about 4 years ago I was told they were all the same several times.... Not until I got in contact with a Renault enthusiast who just happens to be a parts man and he found them all.