ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DIY Port & Polish

Black-Gold 182
How do all,

Anyone had a go at doing their own Port & polish? if so, any tips? I'm thinking of doing some port matching for the exhaust manifold.

You could put some sand in the intake as suggested earlier ;) think that thread got deleted, mods probably worried someone would try it lol

Lionel Richie
the insides of the where the pipes meet the manifold flange are a bit messy, we tidyed them up (well spent 10hours on it! LOL)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
just found out my cars already (kinda) had this done.

Nissan Pulsar GTiR
How do all,

Anyone had a go at doing their own Port & polish? if so, any tips? I'm thinking of doing some port matching for the exhaust manifold.
Get yourself a good die grinder, bull nose tungsten carbide bit (or two), a couple of grinding stones and a coupel or small flap wheels.

Just take off and casting marks. You can use the inlet and exhaust manifold gaskets as templates, as to how much metal to remove. Use a permanent marker pen to mark the area.

You want to make the openings as uniform as possible and remove anything that looks like it could be an obstruction.

As mentioned above, when matching the exhaust manifold, leave a lip so, the heat outlet is smaller than the exhaust manifold runner inlet. This will help prevent an gas coming back into the head.

Have a look to see if you can smooth out the throttle body at all. I've not seen that area mentioned much on here but, it will often have a fair size lip in it. Even reprofiling the butterfly valve might help things.

When you come to smooth things off, don't make them too smooth as, you'll create more friction. Just think about the surface of a golf ball. That dimpling effect is used to reduce air resistance and therefore the balls speed and distance through the air.

You could do a search on Google. The American's have lots of useful information on porting and polishing.

Thats the one lol :)

But on a serious not im quite interested in having a go at this could you just use the gasket as a 'template' as such then sorta take of the petruding edges?? Like you said mark round and take off the sharp bits? (inlets not outlets btw)

Okay then lol, i did have a look at mine not so long back and it didnt look bad anyway but maybe ill just leave it lol

2005 Nissan Navara
If youve no experience with port flow charecteristics, leave the ports (save maybe removing casting flash).

Best bet is to have seats recut to alternative angles, by a trustable machine shop.

Black-Gold 182
You could put some sand in the intake as suggested earlier ;) think that thread got deleted, mods probably worried someone would try it lol
That was the thread I read - was hilarious wasn't it? It did get me thinking about it (I was going to do it properly though!)