ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Diesel Clio drivers - Help!

my wife is looking to buy a clio (NOT a sport I might add) and is tossing up between a petrol and a diesel. My question for all you diesel drivers is what sort of mileage are you getting out of a tankfull on normal town type driving.

Engine she is looking at is the 1.5dCi 65 - any info/advice greatly appreciated

I have a DCi 80 and even if you rag it round town it still does 50mpg, which is 550 miles to a tank, if you drive like a granny, (55mph on the motorway) you will see 80mpg or more.

Sold my dci 65 a few months back.

it averaged 60 mpg on the motorway at high speed and around town it averaged at least 50mpg. it was fantastic on fuel.

The low down torque also means you dont have to thrash it like small petrol engines. However if you do want to drive in a hurry it sometimes can feel lacking in grunt.

If you do less than about 15,000 miles a year, the saving you make from fuel would be offset by the higher purchase and servicing costs.

My other half has a 1.2 8v Authentique (bottom of the range) - it does about 55mpg on average and we got from south Wales to Salisbury and back on less than half a tank. My mum has the 1.2 16v in Dynamique trim and gets about 40mpg around town, when I drive it I get over 50mpg from extra-urban driving.

Youll probably get the best deal on one of the 1.2 16v models. The diesels retail at a premium and youll have to weigh that up against the mileage you do.

the servicing for my dci at 2 years was the same as the 16v 1.2.

but like ben H says it is down to how much you can get the car for.

I got offered a good price on mine from a mate so I sold it after 3 years. Looking for a bigger diesel powered car at the moment!

plus, dont forget that diesel is now between 3 and 5 pence a litre dearer than standard unleaded - I filled the Vee up with Optimax the other day, at 88.9p per litre, then drove past the Esso garage today and saw that diesel was also 88.9p per litre .....

you need to do a lot of miles a year to make it more economical, even with slightly better mpg.

Quote: Originally posted by Ben H on 01 April 2005
If you do less than about 15,000 miles a year, the saving you make from fuel would be offset by the higher purchase and servicing costs.My other half has a 1.2 8v Authentique (bottom of the range) - it does about 55mpg on average and we got from south Wales to Salisbury and back on less than half a tank. My mum has the 1.2 16v in Dynamique trim and gets about 40mpg around town, when I drive it I get over 50mpg from extra-urban driving. Youll probably get the best deal on one of the 1.2 16v models. The diesels retail at a premium and youll have to weigh that up against the mileage you do.

i agree, go for the 1.2 16v!

Golf GTD

my 1.2 8v does about 400miles to a tank, with motorway and town driving. Probably could get more if i could resist some of the urges to rag >.<