ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Cool I'll go for some of the oblitarate then.. DA mate do the scholl pads work well with DA then? Cheers.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Guys. A couple of questions...

Can I wash my pads? I was going to do it in a sink of just warm water. Thoughts?

Also, I want to find a non-dust producing glass cleaner. Was thinking of 3m? Thoughts on this?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Scholl seemed to work well on a da, it used them in rotary.

Daniel, I damp the pads then work a little washing up liquid into the face then thoroughly rinse.
try not to leave to soak as I've heard with some pads it can soften the glue to the backing Velcro. Never had it happen but wouldn't want to risk it myself.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Yeah that was my concern. Didn't want to get smacked in the eye with a 3000rpm foam pad after all the glue came off! Lol.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
More worrying would be the backing plate making contact with the panel at 3000rpm whilst you're applying pressure.

​not even T-cut could get those marks out.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Bit of washing up liquid works for sll my applicators and pads Dan. Really gets all the crap out.

Oh and panel wipe/ipa works very very well but 3m is very good. Spray onto cloth not on glass. You'll be wiping it up everywhere! ;)

Supernatural is nice mate but has gassing issues although not as bad as V1.

If it's a show wax look at something like Lusso Oro? Topped with C2 V3 for durability.

Carbon is lovely though and well priced. Zymol boutique feel but cheap.

Oro is very oily mate so will look wet. How's your prep?
I'll check this lot out. Cheers Kev.

Prep wise, it's all fine. I'm looking for a wax to keep topping my finish up tbh, as the detail I did the other week, I started with Tripple - Z2 - then started to layer up the wax, so it already has a good base.
Im trying to maintain the finish now until I come round to the winter detail.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Quick one guys. Carlack or g5 (the one that works at lower speeds?) the latter being cheaper through cyc. Cheers chaps :)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Not used carlack, but I couldn't fault G5 though, hardly used any to coat all windows either so a little bottle will last quite a while.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I'm after sonething easy to apply, like not take a day off to sort it. The car lack stuff is supposed to be dead easy to apply

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Just finished my bottle of AF Tripple, now before I buy another.. is there anything else thats better? (Doubted!)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I'm after something easy to apply, like not take a day off to sort it. The car lack stuff is supposed to be dead easy to apply

3 coats of G1 take about 3 minutes if that and gives 12 months+ it's the same application of G5 yet you'll have to replace that quicker. On side glass fair enough but nothing except G1 will work with wipers.

Nanolex etc will work aswell but much more expensive.

Just finished my bottle of AF Tripple, now before I buy another.. is there anything else thats better? (Doubted!)
Amazon had a liter of new Srp for sale for £9 mate. Worth trying unless you really love Tripple.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah it was a while ago. I'm not recommending G1 because i'm paid to. It's just the best, still.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
3 coats of G1 take about 3 minutes if that and gives 12 months+ it's the same application of G5 yet you'll have to replace that quicker. On side glass fair enough but nothing except G1 will work with wipers.

Nanolex etc will work aswell but much more expensive.

Amazon had a liter of new Srp for sale for £9 mate. Worth trying unless you really love Tripple.

Just used my last bit of SRP.. and £9 for a Litre.. decisions decisions. SRP 1 litre @ £9 or Tripple @ £7.50 250ml.

Last one. It needs to work at lower speeds, 30 ish as thats where most of my driving is.

G5. I had G1 and mainly do town sub 40 driving. G1 doesn't bead at those speeds whereas G5 does. And honest to God, it's like applying SRP before we all got into detailing. Rub it on, buff it off, watch it bead and think you're the world's best detailer. :)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
G5 is easy to apply, you just don't have to wait 15minutes to apply additional layers as required with G1.

If you have some C1.5 or C2 spray sealants these work well on glass but obivously won't last quite as long as G5, but so simply to spray on, buff and wipe off.

Ref SRP Vs' Tripple, there is no really contest in which to choose over use and performance for me, but depends on your budget as that's quite a difference. Maybe consider the Britemax offerings, blackmax and AIO max

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Lol, that suits me down to the ground mate thank you. It was either that or the carlack stuff, tbh i dont think id go far wrong with either. And thanks Dave for your input

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
I'm having the Trophy detailed shortly and was thinking maybe CQuartz Finest. Are there any reliability issues or is it a truly premium product that should be used, no questions asked?

The alternative option I've narrowed it down to is CQUK. Is Finest worth the premium or does CQUK represent much better bang for buck?

There has been a thread full of issues recently. But that is one car and the rest of peoples' feedback has been very positive indeed.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Does anyone know the benefits bar the authorised detailer, over the standard or UK versions?

What is the additional cost of using finest?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not sure on extra cost but most "authorised" detailers are based around money, they pay to have that, they also get training though in most cases.

They receive work really through the manufacturer themselves, a bit like autosmart, they won't have 3 guys in the one town. They will be spread out.

Russ has quite a few approvals, well worth asking him.

As for the UK vs Finest, there is also normal Cquartz. It's much of muchness but there is less risk with the UK one and detailers won't charge extra in most cases.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
The finest cost about £25 more than the uk iirc.

was a no brainer for me for a 2 year guarantee

and it's my car with the finest issues, I can't say I'd reccomend it based on my experience tbh but car pro have been brilliant after sales none the less so I guess you get what you pay for

Last edited:
Ok I know I only have a 1.4 and the paintwork is a little to be desired but is there anyone Essex way that would be prepared to show me what I should be doing once my plans of getting a 172 are put into action? I really am a noob at this and so far only spend around 2 - 3 hours scrubbing and polishing wheels and washing and polishing the car. Comes up well but never lasts long. Help!!!

FYI I use triplewax shampoo with super soft sponge for body work and wheel brushes and your average wheel cleaner foam for wheels, then "showroom shine" to polish it up with microfibre applicator and polish cloth. No machine for me :(

Plus Back To Black on bumpers/splitter/spoiler/mirrors/door handles & tyre shine on tyres (obv lol)

P.S. I need tips to get round a girlfriend that doesn't like me spending silly money on car related stuff lol

Last edited:
  182 Cup
Its an undersealant. Don't think its black though, unless you can get it in different colours. The stuff I've used with my dads car was more of a beige colour. Don't get it on exhausts though lol

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Flol! Waxoil is an anti corrosion treatment that manufacturers put in crevices of cars before they leave the factory.

Body repair shops and restoration also use it. They do a sort of Shutz underseal in their range also. Old hat now.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Lol I was getting confused the Lucas oil stuff I bought/tried the other day. Could have sworn I saw wax oil written on it, obviously not ha ha.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Ok I know I only have a 1.4 and the paintwork is a little to be desired but is there anyone Essex way that would be prepared to show me what I should be doing once my plans of getting a 172 are put into action? I really am a noob at this and so far only spend around 2 - 3 hours scrubbing and polishing wheels and washing and polishing the car. Comes up well but never lasts long. Help!!!

FYI I use triplewax shampoo with super soft sponge for body work and wheel brushes and your average wheel cleaner foam for wheels, then "showroom shine" to polish it up with microfibre applicator and polish cloth. No machine for me :(

Plus Back To Black on bumpers/splitter/spoiler/mirrors/door handles & tyre shine on tyres (obv lol)

P.S. I need tips to get round a girlfriend that doesn't like me spending silly money on car related stuff lol

I'm willing to help you through it and what you need to do and use. PM me where abouts you are and we'll sort you out.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Very good product mate.

Did you get to see the sheeting from C2V3 before topping?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Indeed. The Trophy hadn't been washed in 2 weeks and was beading and sheeting.

I actually spoke to CG's only UK branch owner and he said if he could keep one product it would have been V7.