ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sported up lil 1.4 :)

So as the title says I am basically planning to sport up my lil 1.4 Clio. It already has a decent set of wheels that run well and will have some decent rubber on when they need replacing. But as for other options I must admit I don't know what to do. I want a tight budget as the car will go to the missus when I get a 172/182 later on.

1. I can't decide between Dunlop SP Sport BluResponse or Uniroyal RainSport 2s. Any personal experiences with both?

2. Should I replace the standard Phase 2 air box (currently with no filter for a sportier sound) with a Phase 1 with sports panel filter?

3. Would I notice a difference with solid front top mounts or any other handling mods?

I wanna make it a bit more of a beast without turning it into an all out lads racer lol

Thanks in advance for any help :) Great bunch you lot :)

172 cup, Impreza P1
2. Should I replace the standard Phase 2 air box (currently with no filter for a sportier sound) with a Phase 1 with sports panel filter?

Thanks in advance for any help :) Great bunch you lot :)

Are you serious???? No filter! :nono: Leave spending money on mods to pay for the new engine when it goes.

Leave it and save for a 172/182.

Suzuki Jimny
No filter. It's the new bucket filter.

Wonder what will happen if a stone/bumble bee gets inside an engine...

Clio 16v 'YOJ'
Leave it and save. People used to tell me this when I had a 1.2, I ignored them and ended up spending like 1.5k on just wheels suspensions etc etc in the end I could of just bought a 172 or a valver (im into mk1's) and been happy from the word go lol

Figured the air box and the fact it ducts the air from behind the headlight would stop any crap getting in there?! Guess I should buy a panel filter tomorrow? Any suggestions?

And I don't want to be spending 1.5k or anything silly lol I just want some nice lil mods I can do to make it better. It's gonna be me missus' car. Don't want her killing herself lol. What happened to the great advice that was the reason I joined this forum? Surely it's not just a bunch of flamers already???!

And i'm 31 lol not exactly young except in my heart ;)

How the hell is it full r****d? I've left the baffled box thingy on and the ducting that feeds from behind the headlight, and all I did was remove the filter to allow better air flow. Unless someone inserts s**t into the pipe I don't see how anything bigger than a bit of dust can get in there?

Thanks for the help though lmao

How the hell is it full r****d? I've left the baffled box thingy on and the ducting that feeds from behind the headlight, and all I did was remove the filter to allow better air flow. Unless someone inserts s**t into the pipe I don't see how anything bigger than a bit of dust can get in there?

Thanks for the help though lmao

The whole point of an air filter is to stop the dust from entering the engine LOL !

Superleggera'd MK3
Are you looking for aesthetic mods? Wouldnt bother much with performance mods if it was me. Firstly get an airfilter lol then maybe look at some relatively inexspenive mods to make it look nice (RS Grille, Silvervision Bulbs, Lowering springs etc)....at the end of the day, you dont wanna spend to much on it as you will be giving it to your missus lol :)

TT QS
God knows how much I've doesn't on my 1.4 and now I have to keep going with it. Save your money till you can get something faster

Clio Dynamique 1.2
Who says 'Sported Up' now a days? Lologram. It's modified and badly by the sounds of it..

Who says 'lologram'?? I think we all get the picture with the air filter so why don't people answer his other questions instead of repeating what everyone else says and maybe give him some ideas on how to make it sound better in other ways? 'Save for a 172' is not helping.

Fine some serious ideas;

-Some lowering springs or coilovers

-Colour coding the side strips

-Rs grill

-Silver vision bulbs

-Clear indicators

But firstly do get an air filter lol! :p you could try a come but they do suffer from heat soak and generally w**k iirc.

There's not much you can do to make a 1.4 go faster tbh and it's not worth spending to much on it.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
But firstly do get an air filter lol! :p you could try a come but they do suffer from heat soak and generally w**k iirc.

avoid heat soak by putting it behind the light, as proven in my article here http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...ticle-reveals-the-truth&p=9573695#post9573695

There's not much you can do to make a 1.4 go faster tbh and it's not worth spending to much on it.

There's loads you can do to make a 1.4 go faster. Strip it is the cheapest, but ITB's or even better a Turbo, NOS etc etc. It just that its not worth it as it will put the insurance up massively and will still be less powerful than what you could have done to a more powerful base car.

There's loads you can do to make a 1.4 go faster. Strip it is the cheapest, but ITB's or even better a Turbo, NOS etc etc. It just that its not worth it as it will put the insurance up massively and will still be less powerful than what you could have done to a more powerful base car.

Ooh I stand corrected about the filter :)

And what I meant by there's not much you can to make it faster, is by the time you've spent all that money you could probably by a 1*2 instead, depending how much the 1.4 cost him :p and your totally right about the insurance

C1 VTR (Company Car)
Why waste the money?

Save it for when something inevitably goes wrong and for your next car. Any money spend on 'sporting up' a 1.4 is a complete waste imo.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
OP I understand this is probably all news to you but what you have done is massively idiotic in the nicest possible way.

Have you not ever seen the sh*t that gets caught by your air filter? Dust particles alone will do damage to an engine. I'd suggest getting your oil flushed ASAP as well as a new air filter before it even moves.

893504_10151605798349359_1357744628_o.jpg

Right, to clear a few things up;

1. Removing the air filter did improve the sound as it has done on every other car I've done it to. Didn't realise it could do damage as I've run quite a few cars like it for a good few miles without issues.

2. I don't want to improve the performance so much. I certainly don't want to spend any major money doing it. Maybe exhaust, maybe air filter, etc etc. No real 'mods' as such.

3. I quite like the look of my car lol. No swirled paintwork, polishes up nice, and only need a refurb on the wheels (which, before anyone whines that i'm not sticking to my own rules, will be going on the new Clio when I get it)

All I want to do is make it handle better, sound better, and possibly perform a little better, although personally for only a 1.4 it does damn well! Approx. 8.5 secs 0 - 60 :D hehe

Also could someone answer my question about the Phase 1 box? And if it's all true, what exactly do I need to strip from the Phase 1? from throttle body or simply from filter forwards?

TT QS
8.5 seconds 0-60? Just read the 1.6 is 9 something. Abit optimistic there dude lol. Some nice 172 wheels would look spot on IMOIMO

Clio 1.2 16V
Personally I'd just stick some decent rubber on it, anything else will just raise insurance/make minimal difference. Possibly a sport grill to make it look a bit better from the front.

Suzuki Jimny
1. Removing the air filter did improve the sound as it has done on every other car I've done it to. Didn't realise it could do damage as I've run quite a few cars like it for a good few miles without issues.

OMFG. Remind me never to buy a car from you.

Clio 197
8.5 seconds 0-60? Just read the 1.6 is 9 something. Abit optimistic there dude lol. Some nice 172 wheels would look spot on IMOIMO

To be fair when I had a dci 100 the book time to 60 was 10.6 and I managed to do it in 9secs, no word of a lie.

My 197 does 60 in about 6.5secs

Twingo GT
Top speed unless done by GPS will be about 10% slower than you think as pretty much all speedos are calibrated to show a faster speed than you're actually going.

Also love how a 1.4 apparently does 8.5 to 60 which is around the same as a twingo 133, every time a little 1.4 tried it against my 133 they had no chance, I smell something rotten...

5ymaqa4u.jpg

A 1.4 will never be fast at all unless you went down a FI route, just make it look nice rather than trying to make it faster.