ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
How can you tell if it's clean it's soaking wet! If it's dry tomorrow i'll image the dirt.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Some more pics...

bcf8e4cf5a9df464fe018e4fbcdd4bac.jpg

93775abe294b0f4ca979a2071accfa8c.jpg

3987a37a646ff1dd6e5235af48ce64d4.jpg

Let me know if you can see the dirt ingrained on the bonnet...

b38faf94405f6bc8a2a33776ed5294b8.jpg

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The rear is minging on mine. I'll grab pics. It's a hack and test bed for products.

:)

Well, considering how much dust/dirt you can see on the bonnet, I'm damn impressed with the beading tbh!

Still need to see how well my CQUK is working after polishing it. If it's ok I'll put reload on a test panel and see how it goes, if I still don't like it I'll just go back to Hydro2 tbh. Still got some left from the Clio.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Finishing compound and pad did a pretty good job on RyG's ST. I used Scholl S30 but could have gone for S40 if I had it as some panels were pretty soft and leaving holograms. Ryan used menz black finishing pad and M205 with a DA pro and was getting pretty good correction.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Uusual Ford, medium hardness. If it's new, Menz finishing polish can't remember the number these days, if that's not working 203s via flex and whatever pad.

LSP... it won't matter, the colour is immense!

Hi I got a question about af power sealant. Is it surpose to be applied after waxing to protect the wax or to use as a alternative to wax/polish. Also how do you apply I'm new to detailing =)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Powerseal is a sealant, ie a synthetic liquid wax so is used instead of waxing. But it does not replace polishing or cleansing.

Best way to apply it is using a dual action polishing machine. If you don't have one it can be applied by hand using a foam pad but requires working quite a bit to get it to bond properly and get the best durability from it.

If you are new to detailing it's probably not the best product for you and would suggest AF toughcoat instead. Have a read of the stickied threads at the top of the section to try and get more of an understanding of the different products and processes

I'm looking for something to protect the wax is there such a product??

The wax is the protection so it doesn't need anything applied over it.

If you really wanted to put something over it have a look at gtechniq c2v3 or Carpro reload, these are spray sealants and protect pretty much whatever you apply them to.

Wax is perfectly fine on it's own tho.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
the wax is the protection, not really sure what you're aiming to achieve by protecting something that is already protecting your paint

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
Auto finesse tough prep is a sealent cleanser whats the wax version?

Whats the difference between a sealent and wax cleanser?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Auto finesse tough prep is a sealent cleanser whats the wax version?

Whats the difference between a sealent and wax cleanser?

Rejuvinate is the pre wax cleanser isn't it? I lose track of all their 'r' names lol

they just lay down the best base for the respective last stage protection I assume. A sealant will bond with one product better than another and vice versa with wax.

107 Track Car & C4
My Titanium 182 has got fine scratches/cracks all over the paintwork on the wings, doors and partly on the sides of the car, they have developed over the past 6 months. Is it possible that it is just the clear coat that has cracked and that if it were DA'd it would remove them? Has anyone else had this?

I will upload some images later this evening when I'm home. It's quite disheartening as the paintwork used to be fantastic and always kept in the condition :(

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Either autofinesse rejuvenate of lime prime out of those listed, but you'll only really get any cut from them using them by machine. Certainly none by hand.

SRP has next to no cut at all like tripple, it's more the chemical cleaning and the physical cut from the pad used to apply it

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
My Titanium 182 has got fine scratches/cracks all over the paintwork on the wings, doors and partly on the sides of the car, they have developed over the past 6 months. Is it possible that it is just the clear coat that has cracked and that if it were DA'd it would remove them? Has anyone else had this?

I will upload some images later this evening when I'm home. It's quite disheartening as the paintwork used to be fantastic and always kept in the condition :(

Without seeing it I can only guess, but it all depends on how deep the cracks are. If they're only part way through the lacquer (I can't see this happening) you should be able to cut them out. But I wouldn't recommend this with out a paint thickness gauge.

Take a reading.
take a cut.
if they improve, take another reading and repeat.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
Either autofinesse rejuvenate of lime prime out of those listed, but you'll only really get any cut from them using them by machine. Certainly none by hand.

SRP has next to no cut at all like tripple, it's more the chemical cleaning and the physical cut from the pad used to apply it

Thanks dave.

Will be by hand so will stick with srp as already got some may change when i run out.

107 Track Car & C4
Without seeing it I can only guess, but it all depends on how deep the cracks are. If they're only part way through the lacquer (I can't see this happening) you should be able to cut them out. But I wouldn't recommend this with out a paint thickness gauge.

Take a reading.
take a cut.
if they improve, take another reading and repeat.

I will have to upload some photo's this evening, the wings are the worst. I haven't got a DA or anything at the moment, so don't want to invest in case it won't sort it out. I reckon the doors etc could be sorted, but I've not got much knowledge on car paintwork lol

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I will have to upload some photo's this evening, the wings are the worst. I haven't got a DA or anything at the moment, so don't want to invest in case it won't sort it out. I reckon the doors etc could be sorted, but I've not got much knowledge on car paintwork lol

I'd imagine the build up of heat could cause a problem as well if they're deep enough

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Not really it is very diluted. It will probably diminish it a little and affect water behaviour but not remove. using an all purpose cleaner would probably help a little more.

I use it as a pre wash and shampoo as part of a decon process but always follow up with iron and tar removers, sometimes clay if required, then a pre wax cleanser as a minimum to ensure a clean surface.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Jesus christ. Looks like someone has attacked it with a brillo pad.

To be fair my mums rear bumper is the same (oo errrr). Hers is down to the fact she drags her handbags along it though.

107 Track Car & C4
I know, has literally happened over the last 6 months or so, was perfect before. Really is disheartening. :(