ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
daft q.. i presume if you use a compound, you don't have to use a wx cleanser after.

The compound would have already stripped the wax?

Correct, however the polish will also leave behind polishing oils which will reduce wax adherence to the paint.

IPA/eraser wipe down and a pre wax cleanser will ensure there is a good base.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Cheap swirl spotting torch?

found this in homebargains for £11/12. I thought I'd give it a go.

as mine and the gfs cars are too dirty/swirl free to spot swirls with it, I took to the black panel in the gfs civic and the fridge. Hopefully @Chi will bring me something I can test it properly on.

It takes a h3 headlight bulb. So I may upgrade the bulb if it proves to be not powerful enough for swirl spotting on cars

A89CF58B-D91F-48A0-9E04-38055BAB19DD_zpsiqcr6abj.jpg

B430A3B3-D381-46CB-987F-AF566B115357_zpsvaccof40.jpg

3B33AABC-D527-4B83-B2DD-B891F9A6AE6B_zpsxqgxilet.jpg

4D7F9BDF-D12D-4495-85B8-9CF029EAAC42_zpsukfbdqcf.jpg

4F8921A4-7D78-464C-8E14-FF837019E9EB_zpsxzhkdpti.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Im in need of a cheap swirl spotter again, any chance you can put another picture up please. Can't quite make it out in the reflection shots on your latest detail

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Pfft.

Aren't they just halogen bulbs? Granted, The type used in kitchen lights rather than headlights?

That's not a bad idea though :)

yeah theyre halogen bulbs. its all about the colour of the light and stuff too. i cant remember now tbh lol but you need this special bulb (its pretty expensive tbh)

i done my "sungun" for about £45

£25 drill
£5 bulb holder
£12-15 bulb

and about half hour with a soldering iron

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=205820&highlight=diy+swirl+light

thats the link i used. like i said if you can fit it into your current torch then youl save even more

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
yeah theyre halogen bulbs. its all about the colour of the light and stuff too. i cant remember now tbh lol but you need this special bulb (its pretty expensive tbh)

i done my "sungun" for about £45

£25 drill
£5 bulb holder
£12-15 bulb

and about half hour with a soldering iron

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=205820&highlight=diy+swirl+light

thats the link i used. like i said if you can fit it into your current torch then youl save even more

cheers, I've read that a couple of times now. As I'm cheap I was waiting for a drill or hairdryer to break rather than buying a drill to dismantle.

Do you think the cheap torch power supply would be sufficient for the upgraded bulb?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
cheers, I've read that a couple of times now. As I'm cheap I was waiting for a drill or hairdryer to break rather than buying a drill to dismantle.

Do you think the cheap torch power supply would be sufficient for the upgraded bulb?

what power does your torch run?

the drill i have is only 14V iirc and it works great. lasts about 2 cars before requiring a charge too so not bad battery life.

Looked at the dew on the car this morning, I guess it's hard to tell from it, but looks so far like the CQuartz hasn't come off from a machine polish (the coating, rather than the marks)!

I sure hope this is the case :).

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Oh and Hyrdo2 beading under 5/6 weeks worth of dirt and sap. Stuff is insane. 2 1/2 months old!!

51c1016473e280d0f42a6bcdcf678140.jpg

be4f5d7dbd7e0ac0fc3ac51d18e4ce7e.jpg

Golf GT & A4 Avant
You must park the car in a garage or not use it as I've had no LSP bead like that including C1 and hydr02 after a maximum of 3 weeks unwashed

Golf GT & A4 Avant
3 weeks is the longest any of my cars have gone without washing and at the end of 3 weeks water behaviour is well and truly hidden by dirt and grime, or summer dust.

If that's beading after 5/6 weeks of not being washed it must live in a bubble

Golf GT & A4 Avant
My car was washed 9 days ago and is currently wearing nanolex ultra on all panels apart from the bonnet which is wearing GTechniq EXO V1. Car is covered in typical summer dust.

Just misted the front of the car with a hose and beading wasn't as uniform as that pictured above. Soaked the front end with the hose on jet to remove as much dust and dirt and once it was all rinsed only then is it beading as it should. But unwashed it's never going to bead if there's dirt covering your LSP. I'm averaging 450/500 miles a week

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Mate I wouldn't lie to anyone. I do 100-150 a week on average. I've been back from Paris 2 weeks. It was at least 4 weeks before that it was washed.

I could show you the wheels if you're interested! ;)

I told you last year that Hydro seemed to bead through everything!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I've even got a football mark on my bonnet in the dirt/dust that was there.

To add. I also work next door to a Dem-master site. Airborne is insane.

I've had my HydrO2 on for about 5 weeks now and it's still beading!

I find though around the lower doors and boot it's faded a lot quicker than say the roof, but I suppose that's to be expected. Great stuff mine also hasn't been washed since it has been applied and is parked outside & does around 170miles a week.

Could it be application issues?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Direct from carpro using CS75 as the discount code

if application was the issue it wouldn't bead at all surely? What I'm saying is none of my LSP's will be like that above after not being washed for a couple of weeks be it wax, sealant or nano sealant. If there's enough of a layer of dirt or dust over the top of your LSP, the water on top of that dirt is not going to bead like it will direct on your LSP.

My initial comment was that I'm surprised it's that clean after 5/6 weeks for it to bead so well.