ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Do polishing pads have an expiry date?

Ive cleaned mine after every use and recently noticed my #2 AF pad isn't finishing as well, it's started to eat itself slightly as well. It actually left a hologram after an application today. I was very upset about that.

I've not had it that long and probably used it less than 10 times. Granted I occasionally apply a fair bit of pressure to get a decent cut when necessary but I wouldn't expect it to cause the pad to stop finishing well.

Ive almost killed a megs soft buff pad too but that's entirely my fault :eek: I was getting brilliant results with g3 paint renovator on the finishing pad so the trade off was worth it.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Knuckles when you say eating itself, is it starting to break down and crumble. Sometimes if they don't dry correctly pads will stay damp and deteriorate. Also spurring the pad aggressively can lead to premature failing.

Best at stick a picture up so we can see what's happening to it, but if it's had a hard life they don't last all that long, I find I get through spot pads quicker than large pads as they're always working near edges or badges etc

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
@Knuckles when you say eating itself, is it starting to break down and crumble. Sometimes if they don't dry correctly pads will stay damp and deteriorate. Also spurring the pad aggressively can lead to premature failing.

Best at stick a picture up so we can see what's happening to it, but if it's had a hard life they don't last all that long, I find I get through spot pads quicker than large pads as they're always working near edges or badges etc

Hmm they could be retaining water as I just leave them on a windowsill to dry.

Yeah they're breaking down slowly and throwing bits of themselves around the place. I'll get a pic tomorrow once they're clean to show you.

Spurring sorry?

Auto Finesse essence!

9yjadegu.jpg

You need a can of satin black paint and run it along your sill. It's been recently painted at the back and it still dirty and brown at the front.

Car looks wicked though. :D

I noticed that I thought that perhaps renault just couldn't be arsed lol! Not been painted during my ownership but will do that! Good idea cheers Daniel

And thanks I love it just want more power lol :)

Just Hydro2'd the bike, I love that stuff.

Now its time to make the most of what is left of this good weather.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
They're very good and from trial, can inflict less damage if used correctly. I stress the use correctly part.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
yellowdave

8A1088E1-603B-4F5A-BF82-45238A18F5F2_zpsntmlv1s1.jpg

BE1C96A9-6F1E-4925-9B6C-2ED8E33E4F5F_zpstlirxs7y.jpg

this one started to throw bits of itself around. No idea why.

And this one... When I did awkward shaped panels (with most of the pad perpendicular to the panel) it would dig itself into the backing plate and did this. Granted it was my fault but it shouldn't really do that while it's being held perpendicular to the panel.

080EA6D8-FCE8-457C-B28F-3C77436BB055_zpspslitoip.jpg

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I got that, but on the side of the yellow pad it's starting to lose bits of itself, no idea why.

I understand that the pressure will do that to a degree but I wouldn't expect it to be as severe as it was on the finishing pad! It's almost completely through. I don't really apply much pressure when using that one anyway.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Lexus IS

Great 50/50 on the paint.

The cream leather is a prick.... What did you use on it Scott?

I thought my mothers were bad

13cb63ef1624eee2d2004ad411350197.jpg

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lexus is usually very soft. What polish/pad did you use Scott?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Sniggers at daniel.

Ive got a write up coming but I mainly used g3 paint renovator, I think I fell in love with it a bit.

But yes, it was very, very soft. Was a right pain in the arse.

Coby, I used verso to get the majority of the s**t off the leather then simoniz wipes with ag interior stuff and af hide conditioner to finish. I'm still upset that I lost my af leather cleaner lol :(