ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Our new Audi is red and the paintwork seems very flat with very swirly paint, I could do with recommendation of a polish and pad combo to remove. Do I then need some kind of sealant too?
You'll need more than that on an Audi mate. Easy answer is pay someone to do it!

An Audi will need at the very least a 2 stage polish. It has ceramic clearcoat so will not polish easily.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I feel it's time for me to get involved in this topic. I stopped by a valeting/paint renovation type place to chat to them about my Megane 265 and he gave me a couple of rough prices. I'm looking to have the car given a going over as the paint is a bit dull and swirly, then some form of protection applied. I'm not a show queen type, just want it smartening up as the flat paint lets it down, and then some protection applied so it doesn't require massive work to look after. I am not one for cleaning my car every week and using a hundred different products and five buckets, so simple and fuss free is what I'm after. It's Capsicum Pink so I'm a bit worried about it fading. I can't promise that a skanky car wash won't clean the car sometimes 😂

The guy quoted £2-300 to polish the car and then apply super guard. He then started to confuse me by talking about fancy glazes and strange words that would mean it cost £450+.

Can anyone offer any advice, or recommend anyone in the Essex area who could do it? The idea of spending £400 on cleaning my car just makes me want to vom to be honest. Anyone on here fancy a go?

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
I feel it's time for me to get involved in this topic. I stopped by a valeting/paint renovation type place to chat to them about my Megane 265 and he gave me a couple of rough prices. I'm looking to have the car given a going over as the paint is a bit dull and swirly, then some form of protection applied. I'm not a show queen type, just want it smartening up as the flat paint lets it down, and then some protection applied so it doesn't require massive work to look after. I am not one for cleaning my car every week and using a hundred different products and five buckets, so simple and fuss free is what I'm after. It's Capsicum Pink so I'm a bit worried about it fading. I can't promise that a skanky car wash won't clean the car sometimes 😂

The guy quoted £2-300 to polish the car and then apply super guard. He then started to confuse me by talking about fancy glazes and strange words that would mean it cost £450+.

Can anyone offer any advice, or recommend anyone in the Essex area who could do it? The idea of spending £400 on cleaning my car just makes me want to vom to be honest. Anyone on here fancy a go?
@Sunglasses_Ron

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin

Dude, I can certainly do something for you. I don’t really have the know how to apply semi permanent coatings but I can machine polish and apply something like Carpro Hydro2, Reload or something similar.

Drop me a PM and I’ll be happy to fire you a couple of quotes over.

You’d need to be able to get the car over to Witham.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
C8B9F639-5005-4C56-89FD-F07E76D138E7.jpeg

182 Turbo
Getting a DA polisher for christmas, complete noob never used one before, can anyone recommend what product / pads i should use with it on my Arctic 182 ?
Thanks

Clio 182 Trophy
Getting a DA polisher for christmas, complete noob never used one before, can anyone recommend what product / pads i should use with it on my Arctic 182 ?
Thanks
Take a look at the bundled kits on the polished bliss (other sites available) website and make your own version as such. They're the pro's and seem to know which pads and polishes combos go together. I've got various hex logic pads and meguiars polishes as they always seem popular.

182 Turbo
Take a look at the bundled kits on the polished bliss (other sites available) website and make your own version as such. They're the pro's and seem to know which pads and polishes combos go together. I've got various hex logic pads and meguiars polishes as they always seem popular.
thanks i had a look but i dont have the foggiest as to whether the arctic blue is soft paint, hard paint and what not.

Is there anyone who has/had an Arctic 182 and can recommend a product they've used and had great results with the DA? Thanks

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
thanks i had a look but i dont have the foggiest as to whether the arctic blue is soft paint, hard paint and what not.

Is there anyone who has/had an Arctic 182 and can recommend a product they've used and had great results with the DA? Thanks

Any Menzerna polishes. I used FG400 with medium pad and that got all the swirls out.

Then use Prima Amigo glaze with a soft finishing pad.

That’s what I used to use on my arctic with very good results. Stick a coat of C2v3 or Reload on to finish.

Clio 182 Trophy
Any Menzerna polishes. I used FG400 with medium pad and that got all the swirls out.

That’s what I used to use on my arctic with very good results. Stick a coat of C2v3 or Reload on to finish.
Does fg400 finish up well, considering it's labelled a heavy cut compound?

182 Turbo

Cool thanks for that, is there any one step product i could use and thats it? like the same Menzerna but medium polish?
Dont really wanna drop £100 on multiple different glazes and finishes, not for the clio anyway :tongueout:

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Cool thanks for that, is there any one step product i could use and thats it? like the same Menzerna but medium polish?
Dont really wanna drop £100 on multiple different glazes and finishes, not for the clio anyway :tongueout:
Carpro essence mate.

Polish with an orange pad then finish with a white gloss pad for great results.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin

FG400 is a great product and even if you only use that you’ll get a really nice finish.

But it’s still worth getting a glaze like Prima Amigo as you can use that all year round to get a nice finish.

And you’ll need a sealant or a wax to protect the paint after polishing.

Jme34

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
My girlfriend has bought a grey corsa, the dealer seems to have touch-up penned two lacquer scratches (white marks, probably from a trolley blow or similar).
I wondered if anyone knew if there was a way of removing the touch up pen so I can polish the scratches out??
Armed with a DA, but assume I’d have to buy a heavier than usual cutting compound+pad??
TIA

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
My girlfriend has bought a grey corsa, the dealer seems to have touch-up penned two lacquer scratches (white marks, probably from a trolley blow or similar).
I wondered if anyone knew if there was a way of removing the touch up pen so I can polish the scratches out??
Armed with a DA, but assume I’d have to buy a heavier than usual cutting compound+pad??
TIA

If you can feel the scratches with your finger nail you won’t get them out. You may ge able to reduce them a but they won’t come out completely.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
TIA

Pics of girlfriend.

Jme34

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
If you can feel the scratches with your finger nail you won’t get them out. You may ge able to reduce them a but they won’t come out completely.

Apologies, I worded it badly. I didn’t mean remove the scratches, but I have previously managed to hide similar marks with a bit of SRP and black hole. But the main thing is getting rid of this crappy touch up pen. Thinking maybe clay bar or failing that tar remover might work? Considering it has been done recently...

Jme34

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
You can use one of those paint de-nib things, it's like a sharp metal block which shaves the paint off.

Use with caution.

That sounds pretty dangerous! I think if I have to resort to something like that I’d leave it. She couldn’t give a crap about it anyway, it’s only me that’s bothered haha

Jme34

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Wet sanding an option?

Again I think if abrasive stuff like that is the only option then I won’t bother, although from a bodywork perspective it’s the best option!
When she gets the car I’ll try a few bits and update on here!

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I've used the Autoglym SRP for quiit a long time, what other brand equivelant to it should i get?
i use a glaze and sealant too, do i really need to use a polish aswell?

Clio 182 Trophy
How can I keep the exhaust shiny? Just wiped over the back box with a hot soapy microfiber and was surprised to see it come up so well. But how can I keep it that way? I am half assuming it's impossible though

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
How can I keep the exhaust shiny? Just wiped over the back box with a hot soapy microfiber and was surprised to see it come up so well. But how can I keep it that way? I am half assuming it's impossible though
I use this mate, they also do a sealant.
afcd0ab75b8ea9ad73d7261c92f98410.jpg

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Britemax really are the dogs. I then wipe down and ceramic sealant pipes. Simple wash when washing the car should restore the look.