ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

1.8 Civic EX
Has anyone tried Fairy Liquid as a Pre-Wash/Dirt Shifter? (Genuine non-trolling question)
I have an empty Deamon Shine RDS bottle, was thinking fill it with warm water and a splash of Fairy Liquid. Give the car a squirt and leave it for a while, then rinse.
I'm not worried about it stripping any protection as it needs a good going over, clay etc which I'll do a pannel at a time over the next month or so.
The car hasn't been cleaned since well before christmas so has a fair coating of dirt that needs shifting.
Last time anything significant protection wise was applied it was Z2 about two years ago. It's had the odd squirt of Z5 every couple of months or so since but thats about it.
Thoughts?

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
Fairy liquid? if its weak enough to keep mum's hands soft I doubt its got much cleaning power. logically, It won't be acidic but does it have the chemical detergents strong enough to lift of oil, road grease, salt? Doubt it. No harm in trying though but i reckon it'll be useless.

BG Clio 182
Fairy liquid? if its weak enough to keep mum's hands soft I doubt its got much cleaning power. logically, It won't be acidic but does it have the chemical detergents strong enough to lift of oil, road grease, salt? Doubt it. No harm in trying though but i reckon it'll be useless.
It's actually really powerful and very effective ;) it will strip back waxes etc and cleans well but it isn't ideal for the paint really on a regular basis, for this application it'll be excellent though.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Has anyone tried Fairy Liquid as a Pre-Wash/Dirt Shifter? (Genuine non-trolling question)
I have an empty Deamon Shine RDS bottle, was thinking fill it with warm water and a splash of Fairy Liquid. Give the car a squirt and leave it for a while, then rinse.
I'm not worried about it stripping any protection as it needs a good going over, clay etc which I'll do a pannel at a time over the next month or so.
The car hasn't been cleaned since well before christmas so has a fair coating of dirt that needs shifting.
Last time anything significant protection wise was applied it was Z2 about two years ago. It's had the odd squirt of Z5 every couple of months or so since but thats about it.
Thoughts?

Washing up liquid can be used to strip LSP technically. However, it doesn't sound like there is any real protection on the car anyway so it's a bit pointless.

If it's just the cleaning ability you are after you just as well add some conventional car shampoo to the bottle instead. The cleaning power between both will be minimal IMO! Best off just sticking to a Pre-Wash for the sake of a few quid.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Out of interest where so you store all your products?

All mine are in box's in the garage (including wax's etc)...I presume this isn't a problem?

1.8 Civic EX
Just made up the fairy liquid/water mix and sprayed on part of the drivers door. Looks like its about to rain so I won't bother rinsing. Will post a pix tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Storage wise I have one I'd the dodo juice bags with all my stuff in the cupboard indoors.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Most of my kit is on shelving. A few waxes in the fridge and a load of unused bits in storage boxes.

16460035678_d163bd0d6a_c.jpg
Shelving by Lawro1988, on Flickr

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Thanks chaps!

So much better having some sort of order so I know exactly where everything is.. Nothing worse than looking for a product and not being able to find it lol!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
My collection is mess, it's a nightmare finding anything. I have too much, needs a tidy out.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
A place for everything, and everything in its place!

I've got similar shelving in the shed, but is a mess of random products thrown everywhere

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Not strictly a detailing question, but doesn't really warrant a whole thread...

Has anyone ever had a bit of pain in their wrist after using a DA? 3 weekends in a row now I've used it, and just started to notice a bit of pain at the start of this week. Its the hand I was holding the back of the polisher with if that makes any difference.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin

Has anyone ever had a bit of pain in their wrist after using a DA? 3 weekends in a row now I've used it, and just started to notice a bit of pain at the start of this week. Its the hand I was holding the back of the polisher with if that makes any difference.

Working with vibrating tools can give you white finger. Nerve damage which limits the blood supply to the digits gives the appearance of a white finger(s).

The pain is your nerves dying.

Lol. You'll be fine. I get it too.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Working with vibrating tools can give you white finger. Nerve damage which limits the blood supply to the digits gives the appearance of a white finger(s).

The pain is your nerves dying.

Lol. You'll be fine. I get it too.

Lol! So long as it'll go away that's fine with me! HAVS and white finger is well covered in my work, and compared with the likes of big f**k off air powered grinders and stuff I didn't think the vibrations from a DA were that bad, which is what threw me a bit.

BG Clio 182
Lol! So long as it'll go away that's fine with me! HAVS and white finger is well covered in my work, and compared with the likes of big f**k off air powered grinders and stuff I didn't think the vibrations from a DA were that bad, which is what threw me a bit.
Haha. Most hydraulic breakers now are very ergonomic and don't really give white finger anymore. I've used them for weeks on end and don't get any issues.

You've just got pappy hands mate ;) haha ;)

It'll go away mate just must be a motion you aren't used to, most likely muscle fatigue imo.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Right, This one is for the more experienced detailers.

My brother got his new ST-2 last night, Cracking car btw I have driven it more than he has LOL, and the plan was for me to spend today/tomorrow going over it and protecting it but the weather has decided against that.

Plan now is to whip the wheels off tonight, Give them a proper clean and correct them if needed.

Now here is my dilemma, They will be sealed with C5 once the weather improves but for now i don't have any dedicated wheel sealants other than poorboys which is shite/

Im thinking,
Clean
Decon then a light polish if needed, May miss that out though
Wipedown with Gyeon prep
Cancoat
Then finished with some BSD to do it for the next month or so as I'm away with work so won't have the chance to do anything.

Should be at least a lot more protection than what is on it now and should hold up enough til i can get a proper coating on it, Sound like it should work?

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers, This is his first decent and quick car so it won't really be driven hard or fast anyway so I'm not expecting much heat/abuse from the brakes.

Curious as to the durability of cancoat on wheels though but it is only temporary and to make it a bit easier and quicker when i actually get the time to properly coat them.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Oh and another thing, BSD. Can that be applied to wet paintwork and buffed?

Want to try and get at least some sort of protection down again for the same reasons but the weather probably won't be playing ball. I would use wet coat but i have none left unfortunately

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Never used BDS on wet paintwork.

Not got any Hydro2?? Seems the perfect choice for what you're after right now.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Nah i don't, Wetcoat would of been perfect as well but i used the last of it at the weekend on a mates car.

Might just give the paintwork a miss until i get back then, Unless we get a nice day tomorrow and he leaves the ST at home LOL!

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Seems i have one of the faulty cans of Cancoat, Bit annoyed as i had all the wheels off, cleaned and ready to be coated. Ended up sticking some BSD on them for ease and i was getting pissy LOL

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Seems i have one of the faulty cans of Cancoat, Bit annoyed as i had all the wheels off, cleaned and ready to be coated. Ended up sticking some BSD on them for ease and i was getting pissy LOL

Did you buy it new? If so, when? Gyeon offered exchange on the V1 version providing you have proof of purchase.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
I bought it with a few other Gyeon items off a guy on DW, Have sent him a message to see if he can sort something out for me.

Never been used either

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Got bored earlier and well and decided to tidy the workshop a little bit as my detailing stuff has been spread all over the place. Didn't get any before pictures bit I did find some products I forgot I had LOL

Blue drawers contain microfibres
c7e4aaed409a8bf920523f43202841bc.jpg

Also managed to get a break in the weather at lunch, been wondering what BSD water behaviour is actually like so applied some to half the bonnet

82450958362ac7c1c21e23b39924c455.jpg

Left side is BSD, right side is Wetcoat

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Have you tried the 'man up' technique?

I bet you work in an office...

aucky

ClioSport Club Member

One of the reasons I ditched DA for rotary. The vibration on my old DAS6 is terrible!

AG 200 CUP
Who needs a garage just chuck the appliances out the kitchen cupboard that never get used and fill it with gear. I will advise though if you have another half like me it doesn't go down well...

10405523_10154405274220640_3792828601105850182_n_zpsaqynw7nw.jpg

Abarth 595 Comp
Just taken some body stickers off my clio (have been on for a year or 2) and for the most part they came off just fine, no damage to paint. Some have left some residue when they were taken off, and also left an outline mark where the sticker was (not a permanent mark). Whats the easiest way to remove these marks?