ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Clearing out some old stuff earlier, Whats that at the back on the cupboard looks like car cleaning stuff, Dig it out and turns out I've had a bottle of BSD lying there for god knows how long, Yet to be used LOL!

I've seen a few of you mention it mixed 50:50 with other products, Namely V7 and C2V3?
Dont suppose anyone has a sample of either of the above that they fancy sending me so i can try it out before i go and spend yet more money on detailing stuff this month LOL?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I'll pop some C2 in with the wax Jamie. It's in a little spray bottle as it was the dregs out a full C2 bottle that I used for 1:1 reload 14'. Perfect amount to mix BSD. V7 would be better as it's slicker but still.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Is C5 pretty much the best wheel sealant on the market? Anything compare durability wise?

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
pre Wash + wash
decontaminate + clay
Wash
Megs Ultimate compound
Carpro eraser wipe down
Megs 205
Tripple/amigo/white diamond/ (IS this step needed? want to add as much gloss with filling remaining swirls)
Carpro eraser wipe down
Glasur

any recommendations for rim protection? - just seen above

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Why the megs compound and then 205? I would 205, eraser then Amigo then glasur, you don't use eraser after a glaze.

I would add dlux in for your rims if you're doing it properly.

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
Why the megs compound and then 205? I would 205, eraser then Amigo then glasur, you don't use eraser after a glaze.

I was thinking because Ultimate compound is more abrasive than 205? Ultimate compound being between 105 and 205 on abrasiveness? Or is UC more close to 205 than it is to 105? So not much point using both?
Ah yes of course the eraser would remove the fill.
Ill look into dlux thanks mate.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I'd stick to 205/105 just as that's what I know. Lotus paintwork is fair anyway. 205 would probably nip 90% of marks out with technique and pad.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy

I was just about to ask this, wouldn't the eraser pull out any of the fillers from a glaze?

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
Just been out in the rain in my girlfriend's car and Reload is still going strong after 4 months. Fantastic beading and water behaviour.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
If anyone in the north west/chester is willing to come to me with a soft top, I'll give your car a clean, test the new auto finesse soft top cleaner and protector, then give you the sample.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
If anyone in the north west/chester is willing to come to me with a soft top, I'll give your car a clean, test the new auto finesse soft top cleaner and protector, then give you the sample.
Is that what's in the AF group this month? I don't get mine til Monday.

Could do the Mazda I suppose, but the roof is already clean iirc

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
A few shots for you guys of the Aston Martin Rapide I have been working on today.

Full Swissvax Internal & External Protection Detail, finished in Swissvax Shield.

16568561536_bfcb029a56_c.jpg
AM Rapide Protection Detail by Lawro1988, on Flickr

16593917402_9045f6633f_c.jpg

16593366671_4220b37d7a_c.jpg

16408703349_25b80491e7_c.jpg

16593361701_a210ce2451_c.jpg

16593359691_1927207109_c.jpg

16593357191_c3c7ab67af_c.jpg

16568564006_122731899a_c.jpg

16407339868_97117b7103_c.jpg

16407333948_ac2f79b88c_c.jpg

16568555886_5213398bb2_c.jpg

15974766833_33dd78730c_c.jpg

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
I quite like them but if i were buying something in that class it would be the Panamera.

Looks great in that colour. Some cars just look so "fresh" in silver or similar. Top work as usual

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Cheers guys!

I actually really liked it in the flesh from most angles, other than side on.. It's so long it looks a bit silly!

The interior is something else though.

Clio 200
Any opinions on my current detailing routine for my Trophy?

AG tar remover
Bilt hamber clay
Megs stage 1 paint cleaner
AG SRP
AG EGP
Megs #26 Yellow wax

This is all stuff I've bought over the years. Not what I've specifically gone out and bought.
Do i need the paint cleaner and EGP stages? I use Triplewax shampoo for regular washing (Cheap from Asda and wax safe)

I'd like to add some Megs #16 as a finishing coat as I'm told it works well with #26. Other than that I'd rather not go out and replace anything.
Would like to add a decent product for black exterior trim though. Any suggestions?

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
car plan black trim wax is very good for the plastics,splitter etc and its cheap and works m8

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Yo,

I've just bought some Gtechniq W6 iron and fallout remover.

Is it best to be used as a prewash? I was planning on using it on the wheels and lower body...

Any tips on usage?

Regarding the wheels I was going to use it prior to an an application of Autosmart Smart Wheels. I presume this ok?

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
lovely delivery came from cleanyourcar..

i was proper impressed with the amount of "correction" with hexalogic orange and megs ultimate compound. Was going so well till i f**king went over an uncovered part of a seal and rubberised the bloody pad.. Screwing.. raging..

that is all.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Yo,

I've just bought some Gtechniq W6 iron and fallout remover.

Is it best to be used as a prewash? I was planning on using it on the wheels and lower body...

Any tips on usage?

Regarding the wheels I was going to use it prior to an an application of Autosmart Smart Wheels. I presume this ok?

Iron Remover ideally needs to be used on a clean car, definitely not as a pre wash.

I would suggest washing the car as you would usually and then using W6. The idea of W6 is to desolve any iron/fallout that's sat on the paint so it works more effectively on a clean surface.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Iron Remover ideally needs to be used on a clean car, definitely not as a pre wash.

I would suggest washing the car as you would usually and then using W6. The idea of W6 is to desolve any iron/fallout that's sat on the paint so it works more effectively on a clean surface.

Ok, sweet.

So wash, dry, W6, rewash then dry.

That sound good?

I presume the W6 only needs to be used every now and again?

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Ok, sweet.

So wash, dry, W6, rewash then dry.

That sound good?

I presume the W6 only needs to be used every now and again?

No need to dry fella.

Just clean the wheels and wash the car as usual, spray on the W6, leave for a few minutes to do it's magic, agitate if required and then rinse well.

Yes, really it's only required as part of your decontamination prior to protection. So once every 3-6 months dependant on how well the LSP you are using holds up.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Eying up one of the Das-21's. Used a mates at the weekend and found it nicer to use overall

Plus its like a Rupes but for a fraction of the price LOL

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
No need to dry fella.

Just clean the wheels and wash the car as usual, spray on the W6, leave for a few minutes to do it's magic, agitate if required and then rinse well.

Yes, really it's only required as part of your decontamination prior to protection. So once every 3-6 months dependant on how well the LSP you are using holds up.

That's brilliant mate, thanks a bunch.

Is ok to use the W6 on a waxed car? I presume it won't strip any protection?

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Eying up one of the Das-21's. Used a mates at the weekend and found it nicer to use overall

Plus its like a Rupes but for a fraction of the price LOL

The problem with the DAS21e is the fact that you can't really use it as a standalone machine.

My reason for saying that is 21mm throw is too much to do an entire car unless you only have large panels and no tight areas.

For that reason, you would need to keep your DAS6 too ideally.

They are okay as a second machine but no good as a complete replacement. Better off with a DAS6 Pro IMO..

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
I'm torn between the DAS6 pro and the 21, Ideally i want to sell my current DAS6 to put towards it.

I'll need to have another good think before i hit the buy button.

Was speaking to a guy on RSMeg that has just got the 21 and rates it, Hasn't had a chance to do a full car with it yet but seems impressed with it so far even with the larger 21mm throw

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
That's brilliant mate, thanks a bunch.

Is ok to use the W6 on a waxed car? I presume it won't strip any protection?

It's a bit of a grey area.. Most iron removers are advertised as 'Wax Safe' but truth be told, without getting technical they will effect the wax layer by around 50% so it's best to reapply LSP afterwards.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
It's a bit of a grey area.. Most iron removers are advertised as 'Wax Safe' but truth be told, without getting technical they will effect the wax layer by around 50% so it's best to reapply LSP afterwards.

Cool, so basically another layer of wax?

Does the W6 need to be washed off with shampoo or just some water, QD and a quick wipe with a MF?

Sorry about all the questions, really appreciate your time.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
I'm torn between the DAS6 pro and the 21, Ideally i want to sell my current DAS6 to put towards it.

I'll need to have another good think before i hit the buy button.

Was speaking to a guy on RSMeg that has just got the 21 and rates it, Hasn't had a chance to do a full car with it yet but seems impressed with it so far even with the larger 21mm throw

Don't get me wrong, I have used a fair few 21mm BigFoot's and they are excellent but as a hobbiest surely you would want a single machine that can do everything?

That's why although I have no issues with the DAS21e, it won't replace the DAS6 range IMO.

This is why I think the FLEX 3401 VRG is the best all rounder on the market unless you get a 15mm BigFoot. Saying that, they are both far more expensive than the DAS range.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers Lawro, Certainly more to think about then. If i get the 21 i may just keep my current DAS6 for spot pads then.

If not i may just go for the smaller throw on the DAS6 pro then. Either way i think they will be a step up over what i have just now

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Cool, so basically another layer of wax?

Does the W6 need to be washed off with shampoo or just some water, QD and a quick wipe with a MF?

Sorry about all the questions, really appreciate your time.

To be honest, i'd normally use W6 as part of a full decontamination and would always rewash afterwards but that's after using tar remover etc too.

It's not going to do any harm by rewashing but as long as you have rinsed thoroughly with a pressure washer it will be fine.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Cheers Lawro, Certainly more to think about then. If i get the 21 i may just keep my current DAS6 for spot pads then.

If not i may just go for the smaller throw on the DAS6 pro then. Either way i think they will be a step up over what i have just now

Absolutely! If you are happy to keep the DAS6 for the odd bits in tight areas etc then the DAS21e would be ideal, but as a complete replacement you are far better off investing in a DAS6 Pro IMO!

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
To be honest, i'd normally use W6 as part of a full decontamination and would always rewash afterwards but that's after using tar remover etc too.

It's not going to do any harm by rewashing but as long as you have rinsed thoroughly with a pressure washer it will be fine.

Cool, cheers mate!

What's your tar remover of choice? Tardis?