ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
To be fair to Steve he's actually disabled. He has serious movement issues in hands etc so I'm not sure if he does much washing in essence. He also can't use heavy chemicals like Tardis etc.

He uses ONR on everything as to avoid heavy washing. So to validate your point Dave, you're bang on. Lovely guy at times though.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
In the summer I tidied up my mother in laws run about, only washed once or twice a year with the washing up bowl, fairy liquid and an old dish cloth I kid you not! full pre rinsing, washing, de contaminated and washed again. Ran over it with clay and picked up a little, then the whole car with AF Rejuvenate on a tri foam applicator and it didn't pick u a 1/4 of the dirt on those pads

I'm well aware of his disability, but that is just silly. He also claims to have used tar and iron removers, and talks about the ADS clay cloth as a replacement for using such pre wax cleansers. Can be a lovely guy. Can also be opinionated and arrogant when someone disagrees with him

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
As you can see the car was really dirty. Using ONR won't break that down. Most of the dirt on the pad is actually real dirt from the road.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
To be fair to Steve he's actually disabled. He has serious movement issues in hands etc so I'm not sure if he does much washing in essence. He also can't use heavy chemicals like Tardis etc.

He uses ONR on everything as to avoid heavy washing. So to validate your point Dave, you're bang on. Lovely guy at times though.

I'm not a regular user of DW so was unaware of his disability.

Out of interest, does he have a Laguna GT?

Last edited:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I think he used to mate. I think he has a Civic Type S now. Fn2 shape.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Optimum no rinse. The first real "waterless" shampoo essentially. Clever idea tbf but not in winter. Google it.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Just use revive. Cheap and chearful stuff. Needs the residue buffed though or it will run. Chemical guys new look trim gel will literally darken anything but won't last weeks.

Perl is great but it doesn't deep treat stuff. Better for engine bay plastics and hoses.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Just use revive. Cheap and chearful stuff. Needs the residue buffed though or it will run.

Well that might explain why my scuttle panel looks so s**t. Just made me realise I never removed the excess when I applied it the other week lol!

OT, what hex pads should I be going for if I'll be using menzerna 203s? A mate swears by the orange pad as a general workhorse but I thought that was a heavy cut pad? DW suggests green, white and black for cutting, polishing and finishing on medium paint. This seem about right?

Also on the subject of menz polishes, if I have the above for cutting/swirl removal, what's better for finishing out of SF4000 and SF4500? (don't know the old names for the old school guys lol). They both have the same gloss but 4000 has a 4/10 cut and 4500 has a 2/10 cut.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
@sburrell93 - I was advised Green, White and Black but a lot comes down to personal preference I think, Didn't people work their machines in different ways.

Edit - Oh and I went with 2500 and 4000 for my first polishes to go with the afore mentioned pads.

@Ethan1996 - I'd go with either AF Dressle or Aerospace 303 for spray on and leave product for engine bay, You'll still want to give it a little wipeover imo but nowhere near as tricky as Revive.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Cool will take a look now. Poundland do an aerosol spray one that I've been using, works really well in the bay TBH lasts ages, must be because it isn't exposed.

Just use revive. Cheap and chearful stuff. Needs the residue buffed though or it will run. Chemical guys new look trim gel will literally darken anything but won't last weeks.

Perl is great but it doesn't deep treat stuff. Better for engine bay plastics and hoses.

That the AF stuff?

I've got that and didn't seem to last long at all when I last used it.

Maybe I'm not applying right. But was fully clean. Although I didn't buff it. Be hard to buff things like the fog surrounds and grills.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
If you want it to last then it won't go hand in hand with easy application. You need a proper sealant like CarPro dlux.

The front grilles are useless. Just paint them black.

Carpro pearl is great on engine bays. Clean (sensibly) whilst engine is running and leave damp/wet. Spray liberally over the entire bay whilst engine is running. Shut bonnet and leave for a while them wipe off excess. Perfection.

Mini JCW
What's your guys thoughts on Migliore Competizione?

One left on DW at £80 delivered instead of £150.....

If you want it to last then it won't go hand in hand with easy application. You need a proper sealant like CarPro dlux.

The front grilles are useless. Just paint them black.

Carpro pearl is great on engine bays. Clean (sensibly) whilst engine is running and leave damp/wet. Spray liberally over the entire bay whilst engine is running. Shut bonnet and leave for a while them wipe off excess. Perfection.

I've used that on some wheels.

Isn't that just more of a sealant and not a restorer though?

Would it do anything to the plastics to bring the colour back out like the Revive does.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I've used that on some wheels.

Isn't that just more of a sealant and not a restorer though?

Would it do anything to the plastics to bring the colour back out like the Revive does.
It's a restorer and sealer. Look at the images online. Infact look at my saab detail thread from 2 weeks ago.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
What's your guys thoughts on Migliore Competizione?

One left on DW at £80 delivered instead of £150.....
I had a sample. I love Migliore and their quirks but you cannot get away from the fact they need to be practiced with. Don't expect to just use it and wipe it off. It'll take multiple applications to get it spot on.

The oils that cause the issues are what gives it such a great wet look. Primo was my favourite. Loved the container also. Just needs practice with!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Well that might explain why my scuttle panel looks so s**t. Just made me realise I never removed the excess when I applied it the other week lol!

OT, what hex pads should I be going for if I'll be using menzerna 203s? A mate swears by the orange pad as a general workhorse but I thought that was a heavy cut pad? DW suggests green, white and black for cutting, polishing and finishing on medium paint. This seem about right?

Also on the subject of menz polishes, if I have the above for cutting/swirl removal, what's better for finishing out of SF4000 and SF4500? (don't know the old names for the old school guys lol). They both have the same gloss but 4000 has a 4/10 cut and 4500 has a 2/10 cut.

I can't remember the new names so that makes 2 of us mate!

Orange is havy cut and will definitely need finished down with something finer. Green or White for me.

White won't correct Renault paint but will nip out swirls depending on technique. If you go Orange upgrade to the correct polish then finish down with white and 106/203s probably best.

Mini JCW
I had a sample. I love Migliore and their quirks but you cannot get away from the fact they need to be practiced with. Don't expect to just use it and wipe it off. It'll take multiple applications to get it spot on.

The oils that cause the issues are what gives it such a great wet look. Primo was my favourite. Loved the container also. Just needs practice with!

Cheers gally.

So maybe for someone with a bit of experience then?

What you say does back up what i've read - it can be difficult to remove - not what I want on a black car.

Back to the research - cheers :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
What kind of wax are you looking for? Blackfire Midnight sun is a special wax. If not that durable.

Are you looking for something special to use?

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I can't remember the new names so that makes 2 of us mate!

Orange is havy cut and will definitely need finished down with something finer. Green or White for me.

White won't correct Renault paint but will nip out swirls depending on technique. If you go Orange upgrade to the correct polish then finish down with white and 106/203s probably best.
Lol! I've had another look there, 106FA is supposedly SF4000, and 85RD is SF4500, although there's conflicting answers everywhere! I guess a better question would be if I'm using 203s, is there any need for something with a 4/10 cut after that or will the 2/10 cut do the job?

Reckon I'll go with Green, White and Black pads. The paint isn't in too bad condition really and after going over the bonnet with the pad and polish you gave me and some tripple there's only a few RDS noticeable. Suppose I'll work on technique before hammering through half my lacquer with a heavy cut pad and polish lol.

Mini JCW
What kind of wax are you looking for? Blackfire Midnight sun is a special wax. If not that durable.

Are you looking for something special to use?

Definitely something 'special' though really no more than £100 - £150 a tub.

So far i'm looking at Zymol Glasur, Swissvax Shield or Definitive Show edition.

Durability isn't an issue, 4 weeks would be acceptable tbh.

Or stick with the 55 for the shed :

15937527891_5b65139467_c.jpg
DSC_0052 by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

I'll sell your Presidenziale sample if you want to try some Mig without a massive outlay?

I might be interested depending on price. PM me.

P.S - @Yellow Dave - Cheers for the feedback on DW. Some interesting thoughts from RaceGlaze on the 4x4 wax...

Last edited:
  Golf GT & A4 Avant
I'm sure I was given a sample of RG 4x4 and don't really remeber it being all that much more durable if it is the one I'm thinking off. If you want that nice to use special feeling you won't be dissapointed by any zymol wax.

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Although I have just bought some AF Lather, what would people advice for a bulk buy shampoo (5litres) I can get auto glym shampoo at trade through work ( non conditioning) but is there anything better out there at sensible money

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Although I have just bought some AF Lather, what would people advice for a bulk buy shampoo (5litres) I can get auto glym shampoo at trade through work ( non conditioning) but is there anything better out there at sensible money

What sort of price are you trying to aim for?

I personally use G-Techniq GWash the majority of the time, I pay £26 for 1 Gallon. I personally don't think £32 for 5 litres of Lather is too bad, it works out cheaper than GWash in comparison.

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Looked at G wash, as Mrs' BM has C1+Evo. But wash thinking slightly cheaper for the clio and general duties

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Why is it when you polish something and it's really cold it mists over really quickly? Windows do it after a couple of minutes but the roof does it in less than 30 seconds!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
G wash is very good but I found over concentration can gum up some sealants. I know they had a serious issue with it in the early stages.

Smells immense and foams really well. Plenty of lubricity.

Britemax is very underrated and works out great value imo.