ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Depasher pulley?

My dephaser pulley has been noisey for a fair few months now but there's another noise that's quite worrying. It only happens when the engine is warm and when the throttle is blipped at low RPM. Could it still be related to the dephaser pulley or has another issue developed. You'll have to forgive the quality of the video as it was taken with my phone.

th_MOV00141.jpg

Old video but...

[youtube]OpdEFOiCo6Q[/youtube]

The noise is the solenoid firing, 100% sounds the same with yours, i replaced my dephaser and solenoid and its silent now...

I drove it all year with it like that....was fine.

In that video yours isn't making the same noise as mine, (I've watched that video quite a few times to see if I could hear it lol)

As the revs die down on mine I get a crunching sort of noise.

Does it do it when it revs up, then again when it revs down....? Either way its more than likely the solenoid firing/shutting off, might just be a slightly different noise

Just been out to it again and tried it. Yeah it does it as you've explained, rev it and you get a single crunch noise, then when you let off the throttle and let the revs drop it does it again.

Does sound like what you've explained though, funny how I've never noticed it before. Thanks Jord.

Mine started doing it one day just randomly when it happened, ran and drove fine for 9 months and then I changed them and it doesnt do it anymore

In your video, is it pointing out the high pitched whurring sound that it's doing when the word "noise" pops up in red?

Edit: Just heard the exact same noise in your video, panic over! Lol.

Last edited:
  RB 182
Mine started doing it one day just randomly when it happened, ran and drove fine for 9 months and then I changed them and it doesnt do it anymore

Much of a job to replace? Cost of the parts? Mine has been like this for some time, too lazy and tight to replace it :rasp:

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I think its a cam kit, aux belt kit and the pully so i think about £350 ish in parts plus the labour?

Lionel Richie
£608.64 inc vat from me

dephaser pulley
cambelt kit
aux belt kit
oil and filter

Last edited:
  Lionel Richie
nope if the car comes in sounding normal it "should" be fine, but if it starts rattling 6months down the line its not my issue, its the customers choice, if its a high miler i advise it

if it arrives sounding like a diesel = new dephaser

if the customer requests it - great, that would be the ideal thing to chage every dephaser on every cambelt change, unfortunatley the part is just over £140, so not everyone wants to spend it

unfortunatley there is no way to tell when a dephaser is going to start rattling, i advise RS clios should have an oil and filter every 6K, looked after that way and the dephaser will be fine, its due to lack of oil changes IMO they start rattling

Bumder With A Buffer
Interesting. I always thought it was part of it. I know a pulley or 2 is changed and thought that was one of them.

Lionel Richie
nope! it is a pulley, but not part of any kit

you have

cambelt kit - belt, 2 idler pulleys and a tensioner
aux belt kit - belt, idler pulley and a tensioner

dephaser is seperate

Bumder With A Buffer
Everyday's a school day! :)

Im surprised people dont "recommend" doing it whilst there Im guessing if it goes x amount of months down the line a new cambelt would be fitted again?? (Sorry if thats a silly question! :eek:)

Lionel Richie
no you are correct

it doesn't cost anything labour wise to fit as its all apart anyway, just the part itself and an oil and filter change

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Does it do it when it revs up, then again when it revs down....? Either way its more than likely the solenoid firing/shutting off, might just be a slightly different noise

What do you mean solenoid? is it easy to change,

i have a slight noise in my engine and still trying to find the fault, at first thought it was dephaser but its new,

keo

Clio Trophy
^^^^

i know what you mean now i spotted it when i was looking at my bay i thought it was an oil pressure controlled solinoid to activate the variable valve timming. Similar method to vtech

All the renaults :)
Its the main part of VVT isnt it? doesnt it work on a 12v switch and let oil in?

Yep dead right mate. It's a pulley which is fed by oil pressure to advance and r****d the timing on the inlet cam hence the term vvt for variable valve timing, fred is also right, they are not changed when the cambelt is changed unless they are noisey or the customer complains, the most common time for the noise to be heard is on first start up in the morning when cold, there will be a clatter but it normally goes away quite quick when the pulley first starts to play up.

As for the valve, they have been known to make silly noises, sometimes you can be lucky and give them a "tactical tap" as my rte told me and this will sort it for a while or for aslong as it fancies really, might save you a few pennies

Lionel Richie
the most common time for the noise to be heard is on first start up in the morning when cold, there will be a clatter but it normally goes away quite quick when the pulley first starts to play up.

i disagree with you there, they never make a noise when cold its when the oil gets upto temp and thins out they start rattling

All the renaults :)
this is true, i'm just going off my experiences, only because when i've checked the reference values for the solenoid valve the percentages have been correct, otherwise the noise is the valve holding the oil way either open or shut i'm not sure and causing a surge/starve of oil to the pulley

Mk5 golf gti
mines silent on cold tbh only noisy once it warms up

always thought it was due to lack of oil changes

Lionel Richie
^it is, due to lack of oil changes, there's nothing else to cause the rattle inside the pulley

every 6K - oil and filter = happy dephaser

sophiesdad

ClioSport Club Member
  anything i get
i disagree with you there, they never make a noise when cold its when the oil gets upto temp and thins out they start rattling

the most common time for the noise to be heard is on first start up in the morning when cold, there will be a clatter but it normally goes away quite quick when the pulley first starts to play up.

on the 1.6 16v K4M engine , the dephaser will rattle when first started , and dissapear after about 5 secs , unless proper knackered.
the 1.8 16v F4P and 2.0 16v F4R tend to rattle when hot , and be fine first thing.
As fred has said though , regular (quality ) oil and filter changes can help the dephasers live longer , but i have done a couple that are serviced with quality oil and filter changers approx 5-6 k miles and have still failed ,
1 started failing just before a cam belt change due , the other started failing approx 5k after the belts change. dont figure ?:S
customer paid for the bits and i fitted it all for free as she is such a good and long standing customer.:D

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Bit of a funny noise coming from my engine bay at the min. Haven't located 100% yet, but have been reading about dephasers. I realise these are usually changed with cam and aux belt kits, but my car isn't due any belts...

So, how much am I looking at for a replacement dephaser fitted? Am I looking at around £350, 200ish labour, 150 part???
Also Reading this understand that become noisier when oil is warmed through and thinner, but does noise lessen at all with fresh oil?? I'm guessing that damage is done?

Hopefully this isn't my issue, but doing some digging;)

Last edited: