ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

declairing mods - Questions

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
got a quick quiestion or 2 about this..

im fitting my apex -60mm kit the weekend after new year and was just wondering roughly how much more norwich union are going to take for this? the car is just insured on my mum and dads name at the moment £250 a year or some silly ammount like that and it was payed all at once. (We will also be declairing a set of 15" Phase 3 dynamique wheels, will they want extra for them, how much?)

will the mods make a big difference in early 2006 when they are adding me onto the insurance when i pass my test?

what about an induction kit any idea how much on average they add to insurance prices?

sorry for all the questions!

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Amount varies from one insurance company to another, but in most cases yes insurance will go up.

When I had my Cup...

Coilovers - £80
IK - £50

It all depends on the insurer mate but I'd estimate around £100 increase at a guess.

Ad

MK2 FRS
I wouldnt worry about the alloys. As there equivelent spec and size and cost.

They will most likel want something for the springs

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Just a few corrections.

Yes they WILL care about the alloys. You MUST declare them as they are not standard spec.

- norwich Union only accept 3 modifications on 1 policy.
- Charges, coul be anything will vary on many factors - cupcakes prices sound about right.

- You will only get a deffinate answer by ringing them.

- Hope ur not the main driver of the car as your insurance will not be valid if you are under ur parents name and are using the vehicle as your own.

Ring them up and get a quote, it will go up.

Remember you MUST declare ANY changes from STANDARD spec.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
** IF your insurance is found to be void in an accident you maybe liable to very LARGE bills and also prosecution **

Ad

MK2 FRS
I do not think the assessor would know that the alloys where not standard. My assessor didnt know the differenc ebetween a 182 anda 182 cup. Im not sure they would be able to tell the difference from dynamque alloys before and after 2004

The issue over driving on parents policies has been covered manytimes, if you want peoples opinions do a search.

There has been endless number of times when people have done it and not had an issue. I personally have always taken my own policy but totally sympathise with people who do it under the parents policy

No more clio's for me!
When i had a dynam i had on 17's, lowered 30mm, an IK and stainless exhaust. so my insurance company charged me an extra 190quid of the pleasure.

i generally find adding equip to an insurance premium is ok, but when you come to insure it the following year, all the companies seem to go fookin nuts when you tell them you have mods!!

Golf GTI 1.8T
right well Has is the man for this sort of thing its his speciality! lol

for mine with tesco they wanted the following iirc....

IK: £137
Lowering: £182
Add mother: £58

By that stage I didn't even bother asking them about 172 alloys cos I was so pissed off with the kunts, anyway it will or should be much cheaper for the mods as your on your rents policy and I'm on me own.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
There are ways of workign it out but in most cases they wont bother.

Yes we would all like to have the cheapest quote possible from the theiving scums!!

But we have to consider the after effects, if you search on the forum you will no doubt see Connors incident with insurance being voided totally.

It basicly comes down to if you cant affoird to pay for the mods or insure them its not the right time to be modding your car.

I waited 3 years before touching anything on my car, that way i had prooved to the insurance company i hadnt had any accidents and id learnt some driving skills.

Golf GTI 1.8T
the insurance company dont care what youve done or what skills youve gathered over the years they are only after numbers and details of what youve done wrong.

1995 Renault Clio 1.8 16v
a friend of mine just declared mods on his 206 XSI HDI, it had a re-map of 36bhp, bigger discs and 17" peugeot wheels fitted, the remap and discs were no charge, and the wheels were £27

mitchzxr said:
should be pretty cheap for you then martin, lucky lad!!

on the above mentioned friends first car (306 1.6xs) he was charged 80 for wheel change to 16s, 70 for K&N and 20odd for a boost valve wotsit (forgot the name). he was quoted something stupid for lowering so never did it (car got nicknamed 'le boat'). i think it depends who is on the other end of the phone to be honest! anyway, good luck!

Boxster S
My insurance company (Equity Redstar thru Adrian Flux) have said I can do up to £1500 of cosmetic mods (window tints, lowering, different wheels etc) and the only charge is £15 admin. And as for engine mods its up to 10bhp and they won't charge (except the £15 admin).

It pays to go with a mod friendly insurer if you're starting standard but intending on modding.

Neil

Golf GTI 1.8T
not if your 17/18 though, their premiums are too high. Plus they are more likely to honour mods over the age of 21 which you are.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
ITS PRETTY PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

They DO reward you when adding NCD ! (this prooves ur less risk)

Look back and read any threads about insurance you will see how it works.

Putting it simply if you are 17, 18, 19
Insurance mods will be high!

Even ur policy will be high...

Rather then "guessing" what will cost u what, why not just simply ring them up and get a quote then re-post in here?

If ur not happy with the quote either dont do it, or change companies.

williams 2 turbo
i think age has a lot to do with it, mine has alloys, roll cage, engine transplant, custom exhaust, bodykit, lots of internal engine work, charge cooler, buckets, paintjob, the list goes on. my insurance is £400.00 all in. if your gonna tell them, tell them everything. which i would advise.

Golf GTI 1.8T
diamond geezer said:
i think age has a lot to do with it, mine has alloys, roll cage, engine transplant, custom exhaust, bodykit, lots of internal engine work, charge cooler, buckets, paintjob, the list goes on. my insurance is £400.00 all in. if your gonna tell them, tell them everything. which i would advise.

Posts like this makes us youngsters cry:cry:

you bully lol ;)

back in 2000 my dad bought an import M-Roadster, because he was middle aged and had first cars all his life, he assumed it wouldnt be dear to insure, his best quote was 800quid, then he declared it had a 5grand power curve change to 389bhp and complete removal of top speed limiter, the cheapest he then got was £1800 (for a 40yr old with clean license).
he phoned late in the evening and was put through to the underwriters and got it for £600 fully comp in the end, but, it shows even older people can get stung for mods!

clio mk2 1.2 16v
jus lukd at my insurance stuff, both my mum and I are named drivers, it doesnt say who is the main driver of the vehicle, jus wondering if this means that both my mum and I can use the car wen we want4 aslong as we want, if that makes sense?

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
^^ the policy will be in ONE persons name and they are the main driver. does your mum have another car ??

HAS - i know exactly where your coming from and know it all too, but some people just dont get it.

R35 GTR
Has said:
** IF your insurance is found to be void in an accident you maybe liable to very LARGE bills and also prosecution **

Best thing to do is drive around with no insurance, no tax and no license. These cheeky f*****s get away with it everytime.

People with money get screwed over constantly.

clio mk2 1.2 16v
cheers, Has and every1 else who have explain about the thread, uve made sum really gud points an cleared alot of stuff up

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
if your mum has another car and is the main driver/policy holder of your car insurance then if you were to have a crash then it would be unlikely the insurance would be pay as they are clamping down on this now.

as dave says if you have money you get screwed.

Atlantis Blue 1.2 Corsa B
dannyboy172 said:
When i had a dynam i had on 17's, lowered 30mm, an IK and stainless exhaust. so my insurance company charged me an extra 190quid of the pleasure.

i generally find adding equip to an insurance premium is ok, but when you come to insure it the following year, all the companies seem to go fookin nuts when you tell them you have mods!!

solution....dont tell your next company about the mods. then declare them one by one ;P

ex Clio 172 owner :(
I'm definetely putting a Cup splitter on my 172 and possibly a Cup spoiler.

Now in the past I've always declared mods but is it really necessary for these mods?

How likely is a claims inspector likely to notice a splitter being non standard and a Cup spoiler rather than the normal 172 spoiler?

Cheers.

Oh and what about anthracite 182 alloys rather than standard 172 alloys?