ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Decisions...

Mk4 .:R32
I've got a choice to make now, either sell my 172 and buy something like a focus ST, astra VXR, mk4 R32 or similar (basically something that doesn't rattle etc), or keep it and spend a bit of money on it over a few months, i.e. buckets, cage, decat, remap etc.

Ideally i'd keep it and just make it into a weekend toy (strip it n the likes) and get another car, but financially it's not possible! I do love the car, but it pisses me off sometimes with it being made out old garden furniture!

What would you do?

SchwepTek™
In the same boat mate.

I'm keeping mine and tracking it next year at some RS days and then selling it towards the end of summer.

Thats the plan anyway....

I love the focus RS from the outside, but on the inside....oh dear.

I suppose driving one might change my mind though!

newage sti not chav atall, every car has its "chav" owners
Lol, of course it's not chav.

If your on about the current one (the mazda looking one, that won't be in in his budget) the one with the big picnic table type wing is chav as feck tbh.

around 10-12k, gotta be pretty quick, above 25mpg, not too old (2004 and onwards), well built

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
One must ask, if you can afford to buy an R32 or VXR etc. Then how can your budget not stretch to stripping the 172 and buying something else as a runaround? Astra VXR's are shite imo and really common thats because i see about 20 every day (work at airbus, you get a big discount on vauxhall cars through the company so every other car round here is a vauxhall shitbox).

If i were you and could afford a car like the ones listed i'd buy an S2000 if i was getting rid of the clio, and if the clio was being kept i'd buy a diesel for a runaround, an A3 or something.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Have you thought about a Meg R26, I really like them of late and can pick them up for 9k now.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
keep the 172 mate. rest will just depreciate and the new car thrill wont last for ages!!

i wouldnt waste the money on a new brief in the current climate

Astra Vxr all the way! My mate has one with all the options on it and the remus exhaust, beautiful sound that makes. But the downside is that it aint a lot quicker than my Cup, until you hit motorway speeds. But still, its lovely and quiet, well built and and generally a better car! Plus the tuning possibilities are far greater!

Astra SRI CDTI,Hornet FA8
I owned an Astra VXR and can totally recommend them... As above, well built, quiet (when taking it easy), surprisingly comfortable, super quick and inspired alot of confidence in the corners. An absolutely sorted car - I would still have mine if I hadn't have bought a bike.

DSC01959.jpg

God damn :( I should have kept it.

Deja vu 182
Focus RS for me too , awesome car and out of all the hot hatches will probably depreciate the least

Astra van,Mk1 nova
I love my cup but i would sell it in a second for a Astra vxr! I cant stop going up to the Vauxhall garage and looking. You get your usual Vauxhall downsides(sensors) etc but you also get the upsides, very tunable at an affordable price, looks and reasonable realiability. I can see myself it a vxr very soon:) Ive heard there is new range of vxr's coming soon,300bhp iirc so im waiting to see if the price comes down on the older models ;)

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
only downside with the vxr is the horrendous torque steer and bad ride on the 19s.

ask anyone who has had one with the 19s and they will confirm.

why would anyone buy a VXR of any discriptions????? straight line = rocket, beyond that, forget it!!! would much rather have the ST if your thinking of changing! (i do conceed that I don't like vauxhals lol ;) )

F56 MINI Cooper S
Lol, of course it's not chav.

If your on about the current one (the mazda looking one, that won't be in in his budget) the one with the big picnic table type wing is chav as feck tbh.
no i was on about a blob sti/ hawkeye wrx...

Astra SRI CDTI,Hornet FA8
only downside with the vxr is the horrendous torque steer and bad ride on the 19s.

ask anyone who has had one with the 19s and they will confirm.
Mine had the 19s and as I mentioned ride comfort was pretty good for a performance hatch! It also had IDS+ which stiffened up the Sachs dampers when Sport mode was on - this firmed the ride up alot but wasn't on all the time.

Torquesteer only occured when I let the front tyres wear down past the limit, thats it. I dont understand why they get slated so much for it, possibly people watching Topgear and not driving one for themselves maybe?

This is all based on my experience, I wouldnt praise a car just because I owned one.

I'll shut up now :eek: