ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

decat or sport

Renault Clio 182
am i better buying just a decat but seeing that people are saying about emissions lights coming on?
so are you better getting a sport cat instead?

Lionel Richie
no it doesn't, as said in the other thread, it seems to be quite rare the light comes on with our decat

Never mind the emissions light on the dash.

The advantage of a sports cat over a decat is that your car will pass the emissions test for its MOT. Decat you'll have to remove and fit a cat for every MOT unless you know a 'friendly' MOT centre

EDIT - Notice you have a 182. Its relatively simple to swap the decat on them IRRC. And of course decat gives you the most grunt!

ex Clio 172 owner :(
I'm thinking of getting a sports cat but liking the idea of a decat.

Few questions, bearing in mind I have recently had a standard centre and rear section fitted at Renault....

Is a decat much louder?

Is it easy to fit? I'm thinking it'll be hard to get access to the screws at the engine end of the pipe.

You don't use paste on that end do you? Just the rear end of the pipe?

Do you disconnect the rear lambda? Or sheath it? Or ignore the ecu light?

If the ecu light comes on, it won't affect the cars performance in any way will it? Ie this limp home mode thing?

Is a decat or even a sports cat, declarable on insurance?

Sorry, it's like the Spanish Inquistion!

Cheers.

Milltek'd 182
ive been thinking of a de-cat. but whats the position in regards to the law? if they find out are you f*ckd?

Lionel Richie
i got one of the two mentioned and is cool, who makes a de cat is not a massive thing as it is only a str8 piece of pipe!

that's where you're wrong unfortunatley

its not 100% arrow staight, it does have a slight bend in it (about 1-2 degrees, nowt major)

but with a "certain" decat (thats straight) it causes the tail pipes to sit on the piss

our isn't staight and fits perfectly

Clio 172 mk2
I'm thinking of getting a sports cat but liking the idea of a decat.

Few questions, bearing in mind I have recently had a standard centre and rear section fitted at Renault....

Is a decat much louder?

Is it easy to fit? I'm thinking it'll be hard to get access to the screws at the engine end of the pipe.

You don't use paste on that end do you? Just the rear end of the pipe?

Do you disconnect the rear lambda? Or sheath it? Or ignore the ecu light?

If the ecu light comes on, it won't affect the cars performance in any way will it? Ie this limp home mode thing?

Is a decat or even a sports cat, declarable on insurance?

Sorry, it's like the Spanish Inquistion!

Cheers.

I put a sports cat on and the enigine management light has been on for months without causing any issues.

Just the second o2 sensor thinking there's a fault

Eventually I'll buy a cheap OBD reader and clear it

Lux'd Glacier White R26
If the emissions light comes on after putting a decat on, how can you get rid of the light? I have a feeling it will do my head in!

Tys.

yes it will do your head in mate thats why when i have mine going to pay a garage to remove my dash and tape up the lights so they wont be seen just will look completely normal

RenaultSport clio 182 mk2
i had a yozzasport decat on my 182 and it sounded awesome, no emissions light either. I would definately recommend this product to anyone!

Black 172 MK2
if the light does come one will it put the car into limp mode and also how would you go about getting the light off again?