ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Davys 172 Flamer!

just-that-ek

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane R26
It was some charity thing, but some suprisingly nice cars there, and probably the best mk1 focus i've ever seen. I was there for 10mins then got a KFC
Ah right thought there was a load of cars, was that the one with a cage ect?

just-that-ek

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane R26
Yeah that's the one mate, sooo nice.
The guy that was driving it. Just bought that chap who owned it before spent a lot on it apparently it's running 400ish, his got a mk2 focus now.... And his two years younger then me [emoji17]

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
The guy that was driving it. Just bought that chap who owned it before spent a lot on it apparently it's running 400ish, his got a mk2 focus now.... And his two years younger then me [emoji17]

Yeah someone said something like that, the old owner was there too in a white mk2 RS i think.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
So over 2years and 25k miles later, i've got rid of the toyo proxes on the front and replaced with Uniroyal Rainsport 2s. Grip feels much better compared to the T1Rs, but the road noise is rather loud and makes a bit of a whirl noise, which i've seen a few people say.

Next up is MOT next month which it should fly through, and then i'm hoping to do a suspension refresh.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Car is currently in for its MOT.

They just rang me and said I have an earthing issue as when I brake it interferes with my sidelights, and the fog symbol comes on the dash. Also said that my rear number plate font isn't acceptable as they have 'hotted up' on it, yet the same garage passed it last year. Finally, a braking imbalance because of a stickig caliper. Nothing major thankfully. Bloody cars.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Not the most interesting post.. recently put two new proxes on the back, and swapped the lights in the boot, interior and glovebox to LEDs. The difference is nice and makes the car feel more modern.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
£180 later and it has a fresh ticket for the year. I begrudged paying that amount for the few silly niggles listed above, apparently took three hours to sort the earth and another 45 mins to fit my spare caliper, but kindly (?!) only charged for two hours.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Nothing exciting happened recently, gave it a once over with a few new detailing bits as I hadn't cleaned it since July I think! Also bought an a freshly painted engine cover from Sprayshack, it's really nice! Shame a screw was rounded and I don't own torx bits, so that can wait to be fitted.

image.jpeg

image.jpg

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Managed to get round to changing the engine cover. What a pain the bolt was, had to grind it out in the end. Unsure on the colour, but it looks a lot fresher than before. I want to focus on tidying the bay so i'm going to get the upper inlet and fuel rail guard sprayed a bright silver.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks @Simon@SprayShack

Awesome car man! Just bought a flamer to turn into a track car since I didn't want to track my iceberg, but love it now, so looks like flamer is going on the road and iceberg for track!

Also just wanted to say - I paid just over £800 for insurance on my iceberg at 19 with 0 ncb.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Awesome car man! Just bought a flamer to turn into a track car since I didn't want to track my iceberg, but love it now, so looks like flamer is going on the road and iceberg for track!

Also just wanted to say - I paid just over £800 for insurance on my iceberg at 19 with 0 ncb.

Cheers mate. You got it for a bargain then haha! I've just renewed for £430, 21 now though!

Looks awesome dude, i do like a flamer when clean! Although i like all the RS colours now haha. Kind of wish i didnt go for black again but oh well. Keep up the good work, everyone loves some subtle mods. If you can afford it, i wouldve liked to have a Snappy retrim steering wheel! but mine came with a 197 wheel. Does make a massive difference a fresh wheel.

Clio 172
Loving the car mate, really is a nice subtle example. Hope mine ends up looking half as good as yours.

On the insurance side I'm now 31 and pay £320 but at 21 I was paying £2700 to insure a rs2000, but I had be banned and got 3 convictions on my licence. When your insurance gets cheaper life gets more expensive lol

Impreza & Clio 172
Once i get the v5 through and get some tax will have to hook up at some point with my flamer, got to admit ive not seen many flame reds around fareham/portsmouth.
Still if mine ends up looking half as good as your i will be a happy chap.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Once i get the v5 through and get some tax will have to hook up at some point with my flamer, got to admit ive not seen many flame reds around fareham/portsmouth.
Still if mine ends up looking half as good as your i will be a happy chap.

Thanks mate, it doesnt get driven all that much now. I've seen one standard one driven by an older bloke in Fareham a fee times.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Got a couple of other small bits done today.
Fitted the battery cover from Dan@MAD, and the bonnet seal from @davo172, which didnt need doing but I thought why not. Also changed the sidelights to LEDs.

I've bought some interior to replace some some bits which are worn in mine, which i'll fit in the week.

Before:
image.jpeg

After:
image.jpeg

Before:
image.jpeg

After:
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 60

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Last night me and a friend set about replacing the engine cover bolts with nice shiny plated ones from @davo172, and also the front seats, with ones in better condition. My old drivers seat had a tear in the cloth which had been worsening over the last 10K miles, and on the passenger seat my friend snapped off the lever to let people in the back.

A job which should take 30minutes, 8 bolts and a couple of plugs took about 2.5hrs and a lot of wiring. The old owner of my car had cut off a load of wires, leaving us with no idea what they were for. The old owner of the new seats had completely snapped off the seat position sensor and cut the wires for the pretensioner, so it took a while to sort.

image.jpeg

Old wiring and seat:
image.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Poorly and very dirty car:
image.jpeg

The airbag light and service light was a massive pain, luckily had this at hand to properly diagnose and fix.

image.jpeg

Gave it a decent hoover whilst all the seats were out, not sure what the white stuff in the picture is because I'm certain it wasnt there!

image.jpeg

Job = Jobbed! Now they just need a good clean.

image.jpeg

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Fitted some nice RS mats.

image.jpeg

Hopefully get round to fitting this lot in the week. New coolant tank to freshen the bay up, top hats (maybe), oil and coolant change, new cup shocks all round, both track rods if the other arrives in time, and tracking.

image.jpeg

And I managed to finally find one of these, which wasn't a ridiculous price.

image.jpg

Then I've got my first track day at Bedford on the 27th, can't wait.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Got round to doing a few of the above jobs, and fixed an electrical niggle which made the indicator come on when I reversed and braked. Fitted the cup shocks all round, feels so nice now. Fitted my new inlet, fuel rail guard, and new coolant tank, really made a difference I think. Also did an oil and coolant change.

Thanks to @Christopher. for pointing me in the direction of the painter, he's done a lovely job.

Here's a few pictures from this evening.

image.jpeg

Needs a massive clean.
image.jpeg

Had a slight issue with this, the mounting holes were in different places but managed to sort it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I'll give the car and bay a proper clean in the week, before getting it dirty again on the 27th!

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Had Rentech fit the brake lines on Monday and a general check over, all good.

Finished work at 5, and since I was near home instead of uni I thought i'd try and do a couple of jobs for Bedford on Saturday.

Jobs were a quick clean, remove 'Renault Sport' and 'Clio' badge, fit new style RS badge, and empty my boot of junk (weight saving!).

The clean was the first in ages, no wax or anything on the car and it still looks good. The badge was an absolute nightmare, struggled to get the glue off and it got dark really quick, so no pics of that.

Oh, and I didn't mention that it's now got some Heko wind deflectors which i'm still unsure about.

Needs a wheel refurb too.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Had a brilliant day on Saturday at Bedford. Managed 140 miles on track, car ran faultless, however I had to leave an hour or so early as I started to get a bit of a grind from my nearside brake. Pad had worn down to the metal, and I still had to drive the 130 miles home! The satnav took me through Bedford town centre, so plenty of people were staring as my car grinded to a halt. Sadly I didn't get many pictures!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I managed to get round to changing my pads.. This shows how bad they were! Thanks to @George@RTR_Parts - ordered Sunday night and they were at my door this morning, great service.

image.jpeg

And a quick picture of my brake lines fitted (I know the arches need a clean).

image.jpeg